Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Glow driver?

Old 04-14-2014, 07:40 PM
fly dat

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Glow driver?

I quit using the standard clip on glow drivers and started using a clip on one with the banana plugs plugged into a power panel. I had a lot of trouble keeping the other ones clipped onto my inverted engines.now I'm tired of lugging my field box around. I really like the rcats but that's more then I want to spend. I was wondering if a mini power panel with either a small lipo or life battery connected to it would work? Is there any good drivers with the wired plug and small battery out there?
Thanks
Old 04-15-2014, 05:42 AM
jester_s1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If your portable glow driver wasn't staying on, the ends of the prongs that hold it on were probably worn straight. I have to take a pair of needle nose pliers to mine every 6 months or so because of that.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:24 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I MUCH prefer the glow drivers that turn and lock onto the plug over the sliding sleeve kind. The sliding sleeve versions work fine on upright installations, but crosswise or inverted, they keep falling off,.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:14 PM
jester_s1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have the sleeve kind, but I agree the twist lock kind stay on better. I use the sleeve ones in sideways and inverted setups though. They do require the tweaking that I mentioned above. Right after an adjustment, they stay on very well.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:17 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Fly Dat, I pretty much agree with the fellows and much prefer a twist lock type over the sleeve type connector So for the majority of my sport flying I just prefer the twist lock type on a single cell ignitor.

Using a power panel is something I will not use and even consider them dangerous, even worse when corded starter is used in conjunction with a corded ignitor.

Both the twist lock and the sleeve type connectors if abused can cause problems, The problems with the twist lock happens when the fellow get excited and forget to push down before twisting.

There is a third type as you can see in the photo and it is an ignitor alligator clip. Certainly not the alligator clips we used as kids but an intended for the purpose alligator clip. I think min came from Derrol Cady (you can google that name for info as he is a pylon specific supplier) I think maybe Radio South also had them.

The portable glow driver in the picture came from Radio South and is an older model of what they have now but work the same. This one uses four Nicd cells and uses electronics to instantly adjust the current demands of you glow plug. This helps to burn out a flooded plug.

John

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Glow ignitors (1).JPG
Views:	88
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	1987587   Click image for larger version

Name:	Glow ignitors (2).JPG
Views:	81
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	1987588   Click image for larger version

Name:	Glow ignitors.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	1987589  
Old 04-17-2014, 08:34 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have one like the Hot Shot 2 that John shows in his third picture. It is my favorite glow starter. I have four or five sleeve types that I don't care much for. The only problem I see is that the battery in that twist and lock glow starter is attached somehow to the working end of the thing and I am not sure how yet. So what happens when the battery quits taking a charge? A new one, I guess. They are cheap enough.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:53 AM
JohnBuckner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes Jp The hot shots are cheap enough to simply replace when the time comes but they last a surprisingly long time and mine are in almost daily use, normally keeping two charged all the times

The type that have an aluminum housing that unscrews for a loose sub C cell are great in theory however of three or four of those that I have used all have proven rather unreliable and none have served as well as the Hots shot, I think because the cell in the Hot Shot is essentially not replaceable (or not worth the effort) is the reason for its superior reliability. The threads of the aluminum case seems to be a constant source of problem and have to be constantly cleaned to allow current to flow.

John

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	glow drivers 2 (1).JPG
Views:	55
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	1987684  
Old 04-23-2014, 05:33 AM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The rcats driver is a fine unit, I have been using one for the last three years with complete satisfaction. Btw, I have no commercial connection, I am just a very satisfied user.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:48 AM
landeck

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by JL1 View Post
The rcats driver is a fine unit, I have been using one for the last three years with complete satisfaction. Btw, I have no commercial connection, I am just a very satisfied user.
+1, five years here.

Bruce