Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

prop reamer ID

Old 04-25-2014, 05:24 AM
tazzzz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default prop reamer ID

How can you tell the difference between metric and American threads. I have both but cant tell which is which,,,,cause there not marked anywhere,,,,its time to balance props,,,just don't want to ruin any.

THX TAZZZZ
Old 04-25-2014, 05:50 AM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ummm threads on a prop reamer???

the EASY way (well, for me at least) to check the threads on any screw / nut / bolt ... etc
take a known sized sample piece (say a known 1/4 20) and compare the threads.
you can also use a tap / die, which of course are usually marked.

(but I'm still trying to figure out what a prop reamer ID has to do with standard VS metric threads ... )
Old 04-25-2014, 06:30 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

"(but I'm still trying to figure out what a prop reamer ID has to do with standard VS metric threads "

As I recall, someone markets stepped prop reamers for "standard" and another one for "metric". Perhaps that is his issue.

Les
Old 04-25-2014, 06:52 AM
raptureboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes I would translate that he needs to know how to determine if your engine crank shaft has metric or S.A.E threads. Check the manual or look up the specs online, or just try some nuts like Jim suggests. But as far as balancing props go I would say it's not important to have the prop reamed out yet.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:27 AM
tazzzz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanks guys,,,,,,,got it figured out
TAZZZZ
Old 04-25-2014, 12:06 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Fox and I think even Great Planes has stepped prop reamers that there is a separate tool for metric and SAE prop shaft sizes I have both of the Fox tools.

I think tazzzz's problem was not identifying the the engine's prop shaft size but identifying the size of the various steps on the tool and there are no marking to tell which tool is the metric one or which is the SAE tool. I marked my pair to indicate which is the metric.

Actually there needs to be no identification as I just use whichever gives the nicest slip fit and I think most don,t even bother with the metric/SAE thing.

John
Old 04-25-2014, 01:29 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Three prop reamers, I think they are all GP products. The reamer at the top has 4 steps, that's for metric, the other two only have 3 steps, that's SAE. That's how to tell them apart but it's wise to measure the crank shaft of the engine then us the reamer with the best fit.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2014_0409reamers0001.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	1989885  
Old 04-26-2014, 05:14 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

+1 on the above info, But one more comment I have found on larger props hand reaming is NOT the best you can get a wable, I do mine with a drill press
Old 04-26-2014, 05:50 PM
Gray Beard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Notice the tee handle on the larger reamer, I knock that out and chuck it up in a drill press. RT is correct about getting a wobble sometimes but that isn't why I use a press unless I'm at the field, a hand reamer and a big prop is a lot of work and I'm lazy. The bigger props call for a jig and drill press most of the time.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:09 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

+1 on what you said Gary, but I do my extra props at home so I can check and balance if neceary
Old 04-26-2014, 07:10 PM
Gray Beard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Good thinking but I have some engines with different shaft sizes but take the same size props so I only balance and ream one per engine. The props in my box are all balanced but not reamed except for the props for my glow engines, they all have the same size shafts. I don't use the drill press except on wood props 20 inches and over. I hand ream the smaller APCs. I don't break a lot of props and don't keep more then one extra wood prop for each gas engine. At the local price of a Xoar 20 inch and bigger props it would be a major expense for me. If I break a prop it usually involves aircraft repairs too so the new prop can usually wait until I get home. I do have a good selection of 16 and 15 inch APCs though. Most the guys I fly with do only use one size prop, usually in a giant scale plane and they only have the one big plane with them so they do as you do and ream and balance there extra props at home. Just a little thing but it's how I have to operate.