Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

PROBLEM with my DA-50!!

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

PROBLEM with my DA-50!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 05:41 AM
sylo26

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll stay polite but let me tell U that I won't come back here for long time!!!!! If You are to busy, just don't respond nothing to the people who try to resolve small issue before send it to the doctor far away and wait for that.... BYE!
Old 04-28-2014, 06:50 AM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I completely agree with Speedracerntrixie here...
Troubleshoot in steps, changing only ONE thing at a time:
you rebuilt the carb to fix a problem. rebuilding the carb did not fix the problem.
So, move on to the next most likely issue, the ignition.
1) change the sparkplug, and run the engine. if that fixes the problem, great. if not go to step 2
2) make sure the ign battery is fully charged, and has the correct voltage for your ign module (and not higher) if that fixes the problem, great. if not go to step 3
3) Try a different (identical) Ign module.

unfortunately there is only so much troubleshooting that can be done at home. when you get to the point where you've tried everything you can think of,
your only real option is to send it back to DA (they DO have EXCELLENT customer service)

hope that helps! (and don't listen to the folks who don't like DA and tell you to try another brand. )
Old 04-28-2014, 11:07 AM
sylo26

Cool Jim! That's effectively the way I've done it, step by step, and exactly in your order. And the last try with another ignition module will be done soon cause my friend will bring his one today or tomorrow. So I'll let U know somme news about it! Thanks! Paul
Old 04-28-2014, 11:36 AM
AMA 74894

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

please DO let us know! we actually do have some folks here that want to help, and not just tell you to go buy another engine!
Good luck!
Old 04-28-2014, 12:46 PM
sylo26

Oh I don't worry a lot with them, I have 3 DLE30, 1 ZDZ40, 1 Webra, and this very good DA. So anyway this issue is kind of weird! I mean my DA50. It can run at 5000 rpm for 2 minutes with good sound, and slowly he come down gradually. If I move down the throtle stick he won't die. If I wait 2 minutes I'll be able to come back at about 5000 rpm again; but if I push more he die for sure rapidly. I tried again yesterday with another batterie( 4.8 V and 6.0 V ) with no results.
I like to take my time before send it to the company; it's a kind of chalenge for me to find the solution. But if I don't find I'll do it right away. Ok so I'll be back soon! Paul
Old 04-28-2014, 02:14 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Edited to remove location error and suggestion.

Last edited by Bob Pastorello; 04-30-2014 at 05:22 AM.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:41 PM
sylo26

Thanks Bob! I apreciate your suggestion too! After checking correctly with another ignition module I'll verify again the carb before sending my engine to DA !
Old 04-28-2014, 09:46 PM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

You may want to just get an rcexel ignition and sensor. Based on your location you can probably get one cheaper than round trip shipping to the us of the motor.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:24 AM
willig10

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sylo:
Just curious, I don't see where anyone has asked you what mix you are using in your DA-50? I ask because you stated that the engine will run but then sag. If this is the case, I do not believe you have an ignition issue. Especially if it will idle just fine. If from idle to transition to high speed and it runs fine then sags the engine is getting lean.

If you are running amzoil at 100:1 like some guys do I would go back down to 32:1 and see if the issue goes away. If still sagging on the high end an d since you repaired the carb, I have another question for you

Is the idle higher than normal? You might want to ensure the carb spacer block is completely sealed and not cracked around the bolt hole area. If it is you are getting air through that area and it will lean the engine out. When installing the carb back onto the engine it does not take gorilla strength to tighten the bolts. You want them tight but not overly tight.

Let me know what you find.

Glenn
Old 04-29-2014, 04:54 AM
sylo26

Hi Glenn! My mix is 40:1 with good oil. Also it sagging since before I rebuilt the carb. And yes, the idle is really good.... But as I told, I'll check the ignition module before the carb again... Thanks a lot for your advise!!
Old 04-29-2014, 05:54 AM
grosbeak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Pastorello
Likely a good reason the OP isn't ready to jump on the "send it to DA" bus....from Wikipedia : Chad (Arabic: تشادTšād; French: Tchad [SUP]i[/SUP]/ˈæd/), officially the Republic of Chad, is a landlocked country in Central Africa. It is bordered by Libya to the north, Sudan to the east, the Central African Republic to the south, Cameroon and Nigeria to the southwest and Niger to the west

It may just be slightly inconvenient to ship....

ALL of the suggestions to go very methodically through a process, one change at a time is really the best suggestions you've gotten.
I think if it starts, idles, and runs at lower speeds, I would tend to think there is a carburetor jet issue - maybe the high speed port in the venturi has some crap that moved into it during the rebuild???

Sometimes, the LAST thing I messed with ends up being what has started the newest problem....worth re-checking, maybe.
That address is a little confusing - it appears to make reference to Val D'Or, QC which is in Quebec up here in Canada... but then there's the CHAD part.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:23 AM
tfarmer96

Originally Posted by sylo26
Guys I can't beleive! I rebuilt my carb, change gaz tube, change gaz, try to adjust needles many differents way etc etc.... And my DA still have the same problem, he start well , have a good idle. But when I push the throtle he goes well for maybe 15 secondes and after go down slowly and want to die. If I try to push the throtle again he want to die but if I wait 1 minute and push he goes very well and go down again and die. I tried to open or close the high needle and samething for the low one and it doesn't resolve the issue!! Somebody have and idea about what happen with my precious DA ? Thanks! Paul
Sylo26,

I have used DA motors for years. I had my oldest DA50 start acting strange last summer. Out of no where it started running great and just start falling off till it finally died. I found the seal between the motor and the carb had split. Now with all that said if you cant figure it out I would send it in to DA the customer service is some of the best around.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:08 AM
pat s

This may sound strange but I had to replace the switch for the ignition. I have a DA 50 R that would run great for 2 or 3 min then start losing rpm till it died.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:13 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Originally Posted by grosbeak
That address is a little confusing - it appears to make reference to Val D'Or, QC which is in Quebec up here in Canada... but then there's the CHAD part.
Thanks for that clarification; your interpretation makes better sense than mine. My apologies to OP and others if I misunderstood.
IF OP is actually in Canada, that can make return/repair much easier, for sure (I'm guessing).
Old 04-29-2014, 01:15 PM
sylo26

Yes I'm in Québec, Canada ...
Old 04-29-2014, 04:49 PM
Tluu
My Feedback: (85)

I had a da50 that acted like that a couple of year ago, it would rev up and slowly dies minutes after. I found out I had some gunk inside one of the carb port hole, after cleaning it really well, it works like a charm. Good luck with issue.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:35 AM
bikerbc

Sending an engine out and waiting for its return takes time . If you have the skills and the inclination to try and trouble shoot the problem and ask for help along the way isn't dumb in my opinion .
Old 05-04-2014, 08:27 AM
bikerbc

Last summer I had trouble with my G26 . It would start easily and idol fine but would not hold high rpm's . It would just slowly die . It was very insensitive to hs needle settings It was a new motor and should have been clean but I pulled the carb apart several times trying to see what was wrong . I could never find anything wrong . I finally gave up and sent it back to Horizion and they found there was a very small crack in the insulator block causing an air leak . The shipping to horizion was expensive from Canada but they covered everything else . What your engine is doing sounds a lot like how mine was behaving .. I would pull the carb and the insulator block and have a careful look to see if you can see any flaws . If there is anything that looks suspicious I would replace it .Also you must be very careful about how you align the gaskets because it is easy to block the little galleries in the carb if the gasket is in wrong . I am guessing you have a Walburo carb , most of the small gassers do . Also I do not see why a person could not take one of these engines into a power saw shop or some place like that to get a skilled small engine tech to look at it before shipping it out of your country because they should be farmiliar with that type of carb . and probably even have parts . As for the ignition units I am not sure if they can be tested but a shop could probably do that too .
Old 05-04-2014, 11:35 AM
Uncas

Originally Posted by AMA 74894
I completely agree with Speedracerntrixie here...
Troubleshoot in steps, changing only ONE thing at a time:
you rebuilt the carb to fix a problem. rebuilding the carb did not fix the problem.
So, move on to the next most likely issue, the ignition.
1) change the sparkplug, and run the engine. if that fixes the problem, great. if not go to step 2
2) make sure the ign battery is fully charged, and has the correct voltage for your ign module (and not higher) if that fixes the problem, great. if not go to step 3
3) Try a different (identical) Ign module.

unfortunately there is only so much troubleshooting that can be done at home. when you get to the point where you've tried everything you can think of,
your only real option is to send it back to DA (they DO have EXCELLENT customer service)

hope that helps! (and don't listen to the folks who don't like DA and tell you to try another brand. )

Except for just one thing. Is the carb fixed or not? I do not think that has been established. Maybe it is fixed - maybe it is being proved that it is not fixed. I would do cheap easy things first like replace the plug, but I might replace he carb before the ignition module. Or whatever makes the most sense . . . I just would not assume because you rebuilt it that it is fixed.

Also - it is no big deal to send it in to DA. I did it after a bad crash to have it checked out. That is not a bad suggestion. You could end up replaceing things that do not need to be replaced before you find out what the real problem is and end up wasting time and money.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:16 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

The fact that the engine starts easily, transitions, does not sputter/miss and seemingly gets to full throttle then gradually drops RPM and the carb is not leaking fuel tells me that it's not a carb issue. I have had a DA ignition that had a faulty timing circuit and it behaved much the same. I have also had a bad ignition battery and the engine behaved close to what is being described. I agree that the less frustrating thing to do would be to send it in but some guys like myself like to troubleshoot themselves so we can learn things along the way that will benifit us in the future.