Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Old planes

Old 07-14-2013, 09:50 AM
RCflyer46

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old planes

Hey all. I been out of this hobbie for the last 5 years now. I am looking at getting back in to flying. I still have some of my old planes and was wondering if I should try to fly them are just buy new ones. I have a hobbico trainer that I will start back flying on it seem to be in good shape but it has been hanging in the shop for 5 year now. I got it down and started it up replaced the fuel lines and it seems to be running good but I am worried about the wing not holding up. it has never had any damage to it but does this bosa wood stand the test of time from setting around that long...
Old 07-14-2013, 11:16 AM
a70eliminator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Old planes

5 yrs. lol! my planes from 1980 are back in the air again after 30yrs with absolutely no problem at all, all I did was washed them down and installed new batterys and fuel lines.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:22 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Please allow me to be the first to welcome you to the forum RC. You do not need to stress about the wood it can last a very long time. I have one actice airplane that was built in 1974. Normally for a ship such as yours I suggest not just replacing the fuel lines but the fuel tank as well but if yours is working well then no problem.

What I would not reuse is batterys both in the airplane or the transmitter, Those I would recommend replacing even if they have not had many cycles. What is the Radio system and which model Tx?

John

Old 07-14-2013, 11:38 AM
1320Fastback

I just re fitted a Sig Kadet from pre 1980.
Some of the original parts were quite rotten but as a whole it is sound.
I replaces things as necessary and she flys fine as a 3 channel should.

Your planes have a know history so look over the joints for connections that might of dried and CA them, then to fly!
Old 07-14-2013, 11:45 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Sweet Stick I built in 1979 and it's still flying. I had a radio  issue with  it over the winter and pancaked it in and the 34+ year old epoxy left loose on all of the seams and it broke apart rather nicely. It went back together easily ad it's ready to go again. So they tend to last a long time !   Now if they were stored where it was damp then that's someting you will have to check for warping, mold,etc...
With your planes do as you did with the tanks and fuel lines, check the horns and clevises to see if they are cracked,broken, hard& brittle and replace as required. Buy all new receiver batteries of your choice as those may not be up to the task anymore BUT cycle them a few times first and see what life they have left. 
If your radio is still on 72mhz that's OK as you can still fly it. Just check the receivers, antennas, and radio battery.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:53 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

If your shop is not climate-controlled (i.e., gets real hot in the summer- which is nine months long where you live ), the balsa could have become brittle. I'm in south Louisiana, which is as bad or worse for that, and it has been an issue for me.

Basically, if you start cracking wood during "normal" handling, that's your cue; time for a new model.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:54 AM
Minnreefer

I still have a plane that I picked up from an older flyer, probably from the 60's or before, it is an old astro hog, before sig, the rear horizontal stabilizer was originally held on with rubber bands, it still flys well, I have broken a few pieces, but nothing major.

As Captain Ron would say "if anything is going to happen, it is going to happen out there"

So fly it

Jon
Old 07-15-2013, 03:43 PM
stevenmax50
My Feedback: (1)

I let one hang in my garage for 8 years.  Noooo problemo.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:35 PM
Live Wire

Well I have a Monocope that I have had since the late 40's .I bet it will still fly Looks like New.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:45 AM
a70eliminator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So, the ol' ambroid must hold up pretty well ehe?
Old 07-17-2013, 09:09 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Up until about a week ago I was flying a Falcon 56 that I built in 1978. It flew beautifully. Unfortunately, a failed on-off switch caused the plane to crash pretty much at wide open throttle. The tail feathers survived pretty much intact. The rest of the plane, not so much. But the point is that if these things are built well in the first place, they will fly well for a long, long time.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:24 AM
TeamBC

I have a brand new Midwest Sweet Stik kit. Does anyone know what it's worth if I was to sell it.
I also have a NIB Super Sweet Stik .60
I don't fly much any more and was just wondering
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0800.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	1994130  

Last edited by TeamBC; 05-10-2014 at 08:28 AM.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:21 PM
biam

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a four star sixty that is 10 plus years old with a few hundred flights that is still solid and flyable.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:19 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Check in the market place and on line to see what people are asking for them. I was buying old kits at auction and paid as low as $10. to as high as $50. Some people will pay a lot more, I'm just not one of them. Seeing what they are asking for them will give you a better idea what to ask.
Originally Posted by TeamBC
I have a brand new Midwest Sweet Stik kit. Does anyone know what it's worth if I was to sell it.
I also have a NIB Super Sweet Stik .60
I don't fly much any more and was just wondering