Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

must prime carb to start engine

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

must prime carb to start engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 01:18 PM
buckinabush

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default must prime carb to start engine

I am not sure why this is happening, but in order to start my tower hobbies trainer I have to put a couple of drops of fuel directly into the carb for the engine to start. Even after running the engine for a couple of minutes and shutting it off, I must re prime the carb in order to start the engine. can someone please let me know as to what may be happening and how to resolve this issue. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:26 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Most trainers have the tank mounted too low. Got to make it look like a Cessna with a windshield, so with a vertically mounted engine this can happen. Also you may have too much fuel line for ease of use, but shorter is always better.

You can open the throttle and choke it by pulling the prop through while holding your thumb over the carb. Some are easier to start if you just put your finger over the exhaust when you first spin the prop with a starter. Lots of techniques,
Old 05-19-2014, 05:36 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Have you tried priming it the way High Plains described? An alternate method is to block the muffler and flip the prop.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:36 AM
buckinabush

I actually tried a method of both of your answers. I put my finger over the exhaust opening and the carb at the same time and spin the prop to bring fuel into the carb. What I noticed when I do this is after I remove my fingers, the fuel sucks back out of the carb.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:13 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The real question here is, does the engine keep running and pull the plane around okay?

If the engine needs primed, via eyedropper or pulling the prop around with fingers on the carb, that's okay. If it runs okay and pulls the plane around reliably, it's all okay. When you stop the engine, there's no need for the fuel to stay in the fuel line. There's probably stil a few drops left in the carburetor.

So... does it keep running on the ground? Does it keep running at high RPM when you lift the plane and point the nose up? If so, you have no problem.

How's the plane otherwise?

Best wishes,
Dave Olson
Old 05-20-2014, 06:23 AM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 for Dave (Scar's) answer. assuming the engine runs well and has no other major issue, there's no need to fix anything.
if on the other hand the engine does NOT run well, the other symptoms (priming required for EVERY start, fuel runs quickly back to the tank)
indicates the tank may be too low.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:38 AM
jester_s1

Every engine I've had that had the fuel run back down the line after priming had an air leak in it. Change the fuel line going to the carb first, then the needle valve o ring. An engine that won't prime by coving the carb inlet but will by blocking the exhaust is a dead giveaway of a leak, since the former works be creating a vacuum and the latter works by creating pressure.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:48 PM
buckinabush

Thanks for all your help guys. I have been very busy all week but I will try your suggestions this weekend and let you know what happens.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:23 PM
buckinabush

ok guys, I followed through on all your suggestions. I pulled out the fuel tank. changed all fuel lines, checked o rings, shortened fuel lines and now the engine won't even start by priming the carb. As I see it either I need a new engine but at this time, I am seriously considering going to an all electric air fleet. I have had it with the unending things that go wrong with gas engines.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:49 PM
Stick 40

This is a gas engine?
Old 05-26-2014, 03:36 AM
buckinabush

sorry Stick 40, by gas I meant nitro. just plain rc fuel.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:36 AM
Stick 40

not a problem, it would be different issue with gas.

Its hard to come up with a solution, if all the facts are not known.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:08 PM
jester_s1

When I've had an ornery engine before, I have taken it off the plane and pressurized the engine to see where it leaked air. Screw the HSN mostly out and hold your finger over the carb and exhaust. You can dunk it in water if you want to pinpoint the leak.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:31 PM
Stick 40

how much pressure do you put on it???

sticks
Old 06-02-2014, 06:01 AM
jester_s1

I blow into the fuel line attacked to the carburetor with my mouth. If there is an air leak, you'll find it pretty quickly.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:55 PM
Burt Reynolds

could be dealing with multiple issues. Is this a new engine? How is the compression in general? Are you getting good ignition/glow from the plug since it does not start at all? Tried priming the cylinder directly? Sorry if this is a very dumb question but the carb and exhaust lines are not crossed mismatched right?
Old 06-12-2014, 06:39 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How old is your glow fuel? As it ages it looses some "oomph" from water absorption and alcohol evaporation and you have to be over-rich to get it to kick.