Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

retract installation and operation

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

retract installation and operation

Old 05-30-2014, 07:35 AM
got2retire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default retract installation and operation

Help????

I've reconstructed a smashed Goldberg Skytiger 60 ARF, from our club trash barrel.. What can I say, it's the challenge.. Saw a picture of a Skytiger 60 (kit/arf???) flying on the "net", with the gear retracted, thus my quest. Issue is, the wing is two piece with a wing tube extending 8" or so into each wing half at the main spar. In order to maintain that arrangement and tricycle gear, the mains would need to retract outward, as opposed to the normal inward direction. The only issue I see with this is the additional mass so far out from the thrust line, when rolling the plane. Any thoughts, issue's, I've missed, I'd love some feed back..

Tom
Old 05-30-2014, 09:10 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Tom, welcome to the forum. About ten years ago a new club member showed up with a Goldberg Tiger on trycyle gear with a Jett barstock .91 and Robart retacts. I did a maiden for him and several later flights and recall a pleasant flying comfortable airplane. Now for the life of me I cannot recall the Which version of the Tiger it was or which direction the mains retracted.

That fellow later horse traded it to another club member who did fly it a fair amount. I do know that the engine was later replaced with a TT .61. Anyway purely on my own speculation I would not be afraid of the slight shifting of mass outward with an outward retracting setup. After all many of our muilti engine ships have this problem even more pronounced and some of them are excellent aerobatic airplanes.

That airplane is still around and I will inquire as to the retract setup agine.

John