Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Covering Aileron Stock

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Covering Aileron Stock

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 08:48 AM
RC_Fanatic
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Covering Aileron Stock

I've looked at a bunch of covering videos but none seem to cover this issue. I had to replace the elevator on my T-34 when a broken hinge caused a broken elevator. I replaced it with aileron stock but ran into problems trying to cover it with Ultra-Cote. (Okay, I'm a klutz when it comes to covering!) To complicate the issue, the leading edge of the aileron stock is notched at the hinge locations so the barrel of the pin-type hinges can be recessed to reduce the gap.

Rather than amuse you with my approach to this, I'll ask "How should I have done it?" Pictures and/or a video would be great. I'd like to move from ARF-ing to building but covering is my biggest concern.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:25 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would and do just cover the aileron stock completely one side at a time bottom to top before installing hinges regardless of type, then just cutting any hinge recess.

John
Old 06-16-2014, 09:45 AM
RC_Fanatic

Originally Posted by JohnBuckner
I would and do just cover the aileron stock completely one side at a time bottom to top before installing hinges regardless of type, then just cutting any hinge recess.

John
But when you cut the notches to clear the barrel of the hinges, there will be bare balsa showing. Since the plane has an engine that spews oil and exhaust goop, the bare balsa will soon be a mess!
Old 06-16-2014, 11:34 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

That's where you add a bit of CA glue to re-seal the wood.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:38 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just coat the area with a little thinned epoxy or CA before hinging. I prefer to use a tapered dremel bit to open up the hole with rather than notching so that the hinge recesses in. I cover the hole thing then use the heated tip of a soldering iron to melt the hole open.
Originally Posted by RC_Fanatic
But when you cut the notches to clear the barrel of the hinges, there will be bare balsa showing. Since the plane has an engine that spews oil and exhaust goop, the bare balsa will soon be a mess!
Old 06-16-2014, 12:05 PM
RC_Fanatic

Originally Posted by raptureboy
Just coat the area with a little thinned epoxy or CA before hinging. I prefer to use a tapered dremel bit to open up the hole with rather than notching so that the hinge recesses in. I cover the hole thing then use the heated tip of a soldering iron to melt the hole open.
Thanks. I think that will work best.