Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Covering Aileron Stock

Reply

Old 06-16-2014, 08:48 AM
  #1  
RC_Fanatic
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sutter Creek, CA
Posts: 1,026
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Covering Aileron Stock

I've looked at a bunch of covering videos but none seem to cover this issue. I had to replace the elevator on my T-34 when a broken hinge caused a broken elevator. I replaced it with aileron stock but ran into problems trying to cover it with Ultra-Cote. (Okay, I'm a klutz when it comes to covering!) To complicate the issue, the leading edge of the aileron stock is notched at the hinge locations so the barrel of the pin-type hinges can be recessed to reduce the gap.

Rather than amuse you with my approach to this, I'll ask "How should I have done it?" Pictures and/or a video would be great. I'd like to move from ARF-ing to building but covering is my biggest concern.
RC_Fanatic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:25 AM
  #2  
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)
 
JohnBuckner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Kingman, AZ
Posts: 10,419
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

I would and do just cover the aileron stock completely one side at a time bottom to top before installing hinges regardless of type, then just cutting any hinge recess.

John
JohnBuckner is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:45 AM
  #3  
RC_Fanatic
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sutter Creek, CA
Posts: 1,026
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by JohnBuckner View Post
I would and do just cover the aileron stock completely one side at a time bottom to top before installing hinges regardless of type, then just cutting any hinge recess.

John
But when you cut the notches to clear the barrel of the hinges, there will be bare balsa showing. Since the plane has an engine that spews oil and exhaust goop, the bare balsa will soon be a mess!
RC_Fanatic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:34 AM
  #4  
skylark-flier
 
skylark-flier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: VA, Luray
Posts: 2,117
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

That's where you add a bit of CA glue to re-seal the wood.
skylark-flier is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:38 AM
  #5  
raptureboy
 
raptureboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kempton PA
Posts: 2,620
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Just coat the area with a little thinned epoxy or CA before hinging. I prefer to use a tapered dremel bit to open up the hole with rather than notching so that the hinge recesses in. I cover the hole thing then use the heated tip of a soldering iron to melt the hole open.
Originally Posted by RC_Fanatic View Post
But when you cut the notches to clear the barrel of the hinges, there will be bare balsa showing. Since the plane has an engine that spews oil and exhaust goop, the bare balsa will soon be a mess!
raptureboy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:05 PM
  #6  
RC_Fanatic
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sutter Creek, CA
Posts: 1,026
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by raptureboy View Post
Just coat the area with a little thinned epoxy or CA before hinging. I prefer to use a tapered dremel bit to open up the hole with rather than notching so that the hinge recesses in. I cover the hole thing then use the heated tip of a soldering iron to melt the hole open.
Thanks. I think that will work best.
RC_Fanatic is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service