Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

biplane wing incidenct

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

biplane wing incidenct

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 07:21 AM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by michael wood
I found the a set of instructions for the Great Planes Tiger Moth 60 it has the same spec as the Dymond Tiger Moth. I would never have thought to balance the plane upside down and it shows the C.G. at 2 3/4 inches from the leading edge of bottom wing next to the fuselage. Is it common practice the balance A staggered wing biplane upside down? I have looked at the links for balancing a staggered wing and from the top wing looking down that you would take the wing cord from the top wing plus what is showing form the bottom wing past the top wing and add that to the top wing and that would give you the total wing cord and divide that by 4 to give you 25% of the wing cord is that right?
it is fairly common practice to balance all low wing planes upside down. It is easier to "hang" the weight of the airplane to make it easier to balance.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:57 AM
michael wood
My Feedback: (1)

I flew it this weekend and it flew good but it needed about 1/4 trim of down elevator for hands off so iam going to add some more weight to the nose to try and level it out I can not adjust the incidence on the wing anymore nor can I adjust the rear stab I also thought about adjusting the bottom ailerons down a little to see what that would do about the trim
Old 07-21-2014, 06:45 AM
mscic-RCU

Originally Posted by michael wood
I flew it this weekend and it flew good but it needed about 1/4 trim of down elevator for hands off so iam going to add some more weight to the nose to try and level it out I can not adjust the incidence on the wing anymore nor can I adjust the rear stab I also thought about adjusting the bottom ailerons down a little to see what that would do about the trim
Instead of adding nose weight, you might try some down incidence in the motor. Try adding 1 or 2 washers in between the motor mount and fire wall. This might help in counteracting the extra lift from the wing incidence being so positive.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:53 PM
michael wood
My Feedback: (1)

but would not adding more down thrust cause the airplane to balloon up when the throttle was closed for landing?
Old 07-22-2014, 05:19 AM
mscic-RCU

adding down thrust will counteract the ballooning of the excess wing incidence. It will not really affect the plane as you land as much as adding weight will. By adding weight you are just making the airplane heavier not really correcting or counteracting the real problem which is the wings sitting at too much incidence.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:04 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just stick with the down trim. Adding nose weight has other consequences. It would be best to adjust the stab, but since you can't, elevator trim is the way to go. Jim
Old 07-22-2014, 09:06 AM
mscic-RCU

Originally Posted by buzzard bait
Just stick with the down trim. Adding nose weight has other consequences. It would be best to adjust the stab, but since you can't, elevator trim is the way to go. Jim
I also agree with this. If you can live with the down trim, fly it and have fun.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:56 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Engine thrust should be set so that the application and removal of power doesn't cause the plane to pitch up or down. You don't use engine thrust to fix a stab or wing incidence problem. You should be able to get the plane flying at full throttle straight and level, and chop the throttle with no immediate pitch change. The nose will drop as the plane loses airspeed of course, but that will take a couple of seconds. And then when cruising at part throttle, you should be able to open the throttle and not see any immediate pitch change. You might see the plane gain altitude if your wing incidence or CG is off, but again, that should take a couple of seconds to start happening.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:37 PM
BWooster

If the forward wing is set to negative incidence, doesn't that mean the stall will be delayed and the lower wing will stall first? I understood the negative incidence was to account for a different relative angle of attack due to airflow effects in a biplane configuration. That is, the air tends to be moving slightly upwards above and before the LE of the lower wing. This gives the upper wing a higher angle of attack. The negative incidence counteracts this.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:57 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 jester, my experience exactly and the way I set mine up.
Originally Posted by jester_s1
Engine thrust should be set so that the application and removal of power doesn't cause the plane to pitch up or down. You don't use engine thrust to fix a stab or wing incidence problem. You should be able to get the plane flying at full throttle straight and level, and chop the throttle with no immediate pitch change. The nose will drop as the plane loses airspeed of course, but that will take a couple of seconds. And then when cruising at part throttle, you should be able to open the throttle and not see any immediate pitch change. You might see the plane gain altitude if your wing incidence or CG is off, but again, that should take a couple of seconds to start happening.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:57 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wooster, I think you're right. Going back and re-reading my post, I think I flipped my logic. Looks like my explanation of the reasons are correct but my summary of incidence is 180 degrees out. I'll make a quick e-mail and report back.

Dave
Old 02-05-2015, 06:37 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I was surprised by the reply from my Aero PhD buddy. Looks like my post #4 had the logic twisted but the answer correct. Mods, can we delete post 4? It contains incorrect information.

So the answer of upper wing having a degree or so of negative incidence compared to the lower wing is correct. But the reason is wrong.

It's not about a stall causing a CG change, it's about a stall causing drag. It turns out that it doesn't even relate to forward or backward stagger. You always want the lower wing to stall first. Here's the reasoning.

When an airfoil stalls, the drag increases greatly. If the upper wing of a biplane stalls first, the drag on the upper wing will cause much more of a nose up pitching moment than any CG change ever could. This drag induced pitch would then stall the lower wing. Think of the upper wing being at about 45 degrees positive incidence. Imagine the drag it'll cause and the resulting nose up pitching moment. No amount of nose heaviness on the bottom wing will offset that. So the result is the plane pitches up, slows down and the lower wing stalls too.

However if the top wing is at a lower incidence, the lower wing will stall first, increasing drag at the bottom of the plane and tending to pitch down. This puts the still flying top wing at a better angle of attack and gives it a chance to soften the stall.

I knew the incidence on all of my bipes have been set this way but I got twisted around in thinking about why.

Sorry if I've added confusion to this subject. Top wing negative incidence gives less top drag in a stall and less increase in pitch so it softens the stall.

Dave

Last edited by dbacque; 02-05-2015 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:43 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of the problems is that after a biplane is commissioned, it is often more difficult to decrease the incidence of the lower wing because it usually sits in a saddle. Consequently to reduce climb, the upper wing gets simple shims to reduce its incidence.

Also, the foil as presented is not symmetrical so there will be lift even at zero incidence, which will increase with speed and often require greater amounts of down trim. When power is reduced, the landing glide slope then is too steep and needs trimmed back up. This problem has traditionally been resolved by down thrust but can now be done by a throttle trim mix.

Non symmetrical air foils generally require a bit of positive stab to counter the lift of the asymmetrical wings. Such a configuration provided biplanes with a lot of lift because both the wings and stab were lifting, all in all a very good thing for slower flying planes but not so good for fast planes or aerobatic planes that when inverting, would fall like a rock.

Another problem exist when a lot of down elevator trim is used. When upright, it is holding the tail plane up so that the wing doesn't get too much angle of attack. When inverting, it is holding the tail down and the gravity difference between the two comes into play and the tail is pushed down and the plane wants to out tuck at the top of a loop.