Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

"Y" harness

Old 06-28-2014, 04:16 PM
gphil

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default "Y" harness

Finding a lot of things out on my own which is ok but the question here is when you have a servo on each aileron, is it best to wire individually to the receiver or use a harness. I was under the impression you had to do the each servo to its own slot. I think it is #1 and #9 Not sure about the numbers here but sure you get the jest of the question. A harness would make for a easier hookup. Just a novice of three years etc. Going slow. Thanks and I will be watching for replies. gphil
Old 06-28-2014, 04:22 PM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

In many cases the "Y" harness makes the most sense. I use this on the majority of my models. The advantage of using two channels on a computer radio is that it allows you to electronically create "aileron differential" where the aileron moving up travels further than the one going down. This counteracts "adverse yaw." It is also possible to program the ailerons to deploy together as flaps. If you transmitter has the capability, then go ahead and experiment with these functions to 1) learn to program your transmitter and 2) see if the results are worth it.
Chuck
Old 06-28-2014, 06:40 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you do a search here on RCU with the key word Yharness there may be about 100 different threads on the subject. If you have an advanced radio there is no reason to ever use them, some people just like them because they are simple, some because there radio doesn't have enough channels. I gave up there use decades ago. I find the set up of the planes easier if everything has it's own channel and most of my stunt planes fly better with a bit of diff in the ailerons. I use degree meters to dial in my controls so I can get them set dead on after I adjust mechanically and that is something you just can't do with a Y. In the past I have also seen too many Ys fail. I also don't use extensions, I splice and solder in my own extensions.
I use Hitec and Futaba TXs and the ailerons are either 1 and 6 or 7.
Chuck mentioned flaperons, I sometimes use them on fun fly type of planes but be warned, they can bite you in the butt due to stalling. Fun to play with but most planes don't like them.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:41 PM
aspeed

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

And flaperons too I think, if you want to take a university course on programming. Never mind, Gray Beard beat me to it.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:50 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by aspeed View Post
And flaperons too I think, if you want to take a university course on programming. Never mind, Gray Beard beat me to it.
I found a simple way to do them without all the hassle. Yes, the programing is a thinker but if I can do it anyone can. I slave the flaperons to the elevator so as you raise the elevators the flaps/ailerons drop slowly instead of just dropping them as flaps. I'm using the old Futaba 9-C radio and it is designed to be programed by the complete idiot, suites me very well!!
Old 06-28-2014, 07:36 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There is no shame or embarrassment in using a Y harness for ailerons and while it is true you cannot do flaperons with it. In that case I hate flaperons anyway and I would just do build in separate and conventional dedicated flaps, no mix. There is another actually very important plus to using one over two channels and no one ever thinks about it in these types of threads and that is the simplicity of airplane assembly at the field if it is one that cannot be carried assembled.

Another scenario agine in the interest ease of assembly this occurs with some of my multi engine airplanes where one tends to run out of channels and slots and agine with my night flying multis I definitely use a Y on ailerons to have sufficient channels I us mostly the A9 nine channel radio.

So do you have to use a channel per side on ailerons absolutely not. And there is very little disadvantage other that slightly easier set up. To say I do every airplane the same all Y's or all two channels would be silly and I use both methods after carefully thinking out each new ships mission and how to carry that out.

For many of the airplanes that I do choose to use a Y, though in reality I might not actually be using a Y but instead soldered the harness up to eliminate the extra plugs creating my own Y with no additional plug and possible failure points.

There are many ways to skin a cat gphil and by learning where and when to use an appropriate method for the application you have become a better modeler for it

John

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 06-28-2014 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 12:38 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A "Y" harness is a think of the past unless your transmitter and or reciver is limited to four channels.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:55 AM
ARUP

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

'Y' harness? I still use one servo to drive two ailerons! I'm just goofing around. There is no wrong or right way. Just pick your poison! Each has advantages and disadvantages.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:09 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Personally I would never go back to,using a Y on ailerons. For a sport airplane it probably won't matter but if you want the airplane to fly the best it can then using the dual aileron mixing in the TX is the way to go. There is just no way to get the ailerons 100% correct with a Y. You can spend hours trying to sort out the throws mechanically or spend 1/2 hour adjusting and measuring using the mixing and get it perfect. I do realize that 80% of you guys out there never measure the individual throws of your Ailerons but really you should. With everything set up correctly you would be eliminating any adverse yaw and pitch deviations with aileron input. You would be amazed how much easier the airplane is to fly when the aileron inputs are working together, especially in the wind.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:31 AM
gphil

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for all the discussion. I have the computer radio etc and have all that advance options waiting. Firstly I need to sit down and get used to how program my transmitter. I know it is so simple that I am making a job out of it anyway another story. I do like the ability to use a little differential in the aileron throws so will forgo the harness for now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,maybe. Ain't this way of sending cash fun..........gphil
Old 06-29-2014, 08:45 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (22)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie View Post
Personally I would never go back to,using a Y on ailerons. For a sport airplane it probably won't matter but if you want the airplane to fly the best it can then using the dual aileron mixing in the TX is the way to go. There is just no way to get the ailerons 100% correct with a Y. You can spend hours trying to sort out the throws mechanically or spend 1/2 hour adjusting and measuring using the mixing and get it perfect. I do realize that 80% of you guys out there never measure the individual throws of your Ailerons but really you should. With everything set up correctly you would be eliminating any adverse yaw and pitch deviations with aileron input. You would be amazed how much easier the airplane is to fly when the aileron inputs are working together, especially in the wind.
Oh the joys of yester-year and mechanically "tuning" your model to fly at its best. Definitely a long and cumbersome job, but i actually enjoy that. But the newer radios make it so easy to get it right so much quicker.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:48 AM
speedracerntrixie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Oh yes Thomas, so much easier these days. Getting it close mechanically and then fine tuning electronically is so much easier. Although we both know that the mixing can't compensate for a poor mechanical setup. I still remember all the "fun" it was to set up a helicopters pitch/throttle curve to match mechanically.

A little more to think about concerning the Topic at hand. How may guys measure their ailerons to make sure they have equal throw in all directions? I always take an arbitrary dimension, say as example 1" throw. Then measure both ailerons up and down and adjust them to 1" up and down travel. Then during the test flights start introducing differential until the airplane rolls true. Impossible to get this 100% with a Y connector.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:50 PM
pkoury
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Oh yes Thomas, so much easier these days. Getting it close mechanically and then fine tuning electronically is so much easier. Although we both know that the mixing can't compensate for a poor mechanical setup. I still remember all the "fun" it was to set up a helicopters pitch/throttle curve to match mechanically.

A little more to think about concerning the Topic at hand. How may guys measure their ailerons to make sure they have equal throw in all directions? I always take an arbitrary dimension, say as example 1" throw. Then measure both ailerons up and down and adjust them to 1" up and down travel. Then during the test flights start introducing differential until the airplane rolls true. Impossible to get this 100% with a Y connector.
"Impossible to get this 100% with a Y connector" I broke out in a smile with this statement.....I guess I was only getting it 99.9% right back in the old pattern days. Playing with servo mechanical linkages was a lot more fun than sawing a wing in half to change the dihedral. Before computer radios fine tuning a new model did involve switches and knobs but they were not on the radio they were on the drills, saws, soldering irons, and coffee pots.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:20 PM
speedracerntrixie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by pkoury View Post
"Impossible to get this 100% with a Y connector" I broke out in a smile with this statement.....I guess I was only getting it 99.9% right back in the old pattern days. Playing with servo mechanical linkages was a lot more fun than sawing a wing in half to change the dihedral. Before computer radios fine tuning a new model did involve switches and knobs but they were not on the radio they were on the drills, saws, soldering irons, and coffee pots.
Trust me, I remember the hours spent trimming my Mach 1 and Miss Norway. All due respect, the sequences back then were far less demanding then they are today. A single servo aileron setup was actually easier to set throws and differential then a dual setup with a Y connector. Reason being that no two servos are identical. I also have fond memories of the good old days but that dosent mean I won't take advantage of any and all new tech.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:52 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (22)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I do, and typically get reaalllyyy close to 100% axial rolls with dual servos on Y harness. It takes a good season of flying and constant adjustments to get there though. I dont do this on all my models though, most of them i run dual servos on separate channels, the only models i do this to are those that fill all the slots on the rx and i dont have a spare channel to do so. A Matchbox or eqaulizer would probably be a better way of doing it though
Old 07-02-2014, 06:20 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by gphil View Post
Thanks for all the discussion. I have the computer radio etc and have all that advance options waiting. Firstly I need to sit down and get used to how program my transmitter. I know it is so simple that I am making a job out of it anyway another story. I do like the ability to use a little differential in the aileron throws so will forgo the harness for now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,maybe. Ain't this way of sending cash fun..........gphil
What radio? Its probably pretty easy to walk you through