Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

NEW OS 15cc gasser with no ignition module needed?????? O.S. GGT15 Glow Gasoline

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

NEW OS 15cc gasser with no ignition module needed?????? O.S. GGT15 Glow Gasoline

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 04:20 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

CafeenMan, Please when you start operating your new Norvel .40 gas/glow I would very much like to hear of your experience with it even in this thread as you may have some insights that would apply to the OS 15cc gas/glow. That of course is the engine that I think may really be on the mark displacement wise for the market.

The little 15cc GT spark ignition is a superb engine and I am loving mine, that's a given. So it is only gonna take just a bit of positive reinforcement for me to push the button. Its only fifty bucks more than the spark version and there is less stuff in the box! Hm but hey less stuff is what its all about and is less stuff worth paying for? Well sure you bet it is.

John
Old 07-25-2014, 04:50 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

cocobear- An opinion, just like yours and everyone else's. There are no engineers in this thread that work for an RC manufacturer. I think I made it clear that I'm speculating on a few things. That's based on a few years running glow and gas engines and knowing how they work.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:58 AM
cocobear
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did for 8 years. I have designed many engines, aircraft, radio compants, ect.. what OS is offering is huge, an absolute break through. I guess I was senitized to all this from the years of toil doing R&D in that industry. If I offended you, sorry for that, but I have been there and done that. As far as DLE and others, Keep right on buying from them and eventually there will be nothing new or unique. Everyone copies some, but should never copy everything.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:00 PM
jester_s1

I wasn't offended cocobear. But you know probably as well as I do that whenever someone asks about your credentials, they are ready to dismiss what you've said as the rantings of a dummy. I'm no expert, but I'm no dummy either. We're good.

But since you do have a design background, I really would love to know what OS has accomplished here? I'm very comfortable with admitting I'm wrong when presented with facts, and I'll be glad to be wrong in this case if it turns out that this new powerplant truly is a game changer. So what's the breakthrough with this one?
Old 07-26-2014, 04:06 AM
cocobear

being able to get the mixture, compression and burn rate correct. This sort of thing has always intrigued everyone who knows that there is a huge potential market for a small gas motor but it gets harder and harder to fit everything and justify the weight as they get smaller. Preignition is a huge problem with gasoline due to it's burn rate. I personally am dying for the chance to lay hands on one and take it apart and try and understand exactly what they did. It will probably appear trivial and that is why the old saying, "the devils in the details". Think of it this way. Your Chevy no longer would need coils, electronic distribution or even a battery to sustain running. Again, I just get geeked out on this stuff.
Dave
Old 07-26-2014, 05:42 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

Originally Posted by cocobear
being able to get the mixture, compression and burn rate correct. This sort of thing has always intrigued everyone who knows that there is a huge potential market for a small gas motor but it gets harder and harder to fit everything and justify the weight as they get smaller. Preignition is a huge problem with gasoline due to it's burn rate. I personally am dying for the chance to lay hands on one and take it apart and try and understand exactly what they did. It will probably appear trivial and that is why the old saying, "the devils in the details". Think of it this way. Your Chevy no longer would need coils, electronic distribution or even a battery to sustain running. Again, I just get geeked out on this stuff.
Dave
agreed.....check this http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-...glow-plug.html
Old 07-26-2014, 05:56 AM
cocobear

Thanks Sir Percy! Interesting stuff.
dave
Old 07-31-2014, 06:37 PM
psgugrad

Originally Posted by jester_s1
With it not having an ignition, it should sell for less, not more. Agreed, OS makes a good engine, but this is only about 10% cheaper than a DA 35 and about 25% more than a DLE 30. What are we actually getting for our money in this little gasser aside from it being the newest thing out? I can't imagine there being that much engineering that had to go into making a gasser run on a glow ignition. It's been done before by modders many times.
Not only is there no ignition, but since the spark version appears to be mostly the same OS can amortize the tooling and development costs over two engines instead of one. Therefore, BOTH engines should now be cheaper. Don't worry about the price staying high for long... I'm sure ASP, Thunder Tiger, etc will have their own versions out soon at considerably lower prices. This technology appears to be unpatentable , (if that's even a word).
Old 07-31-2014, 07:02 PM
psgugrad

also someone asked about the NV gx40...save your $ IMO. I was an early adopter of this motor last year. as it has no bearing on the conrod it uses a lot of oil and gets your plane quite dirty. Also, the carb was difficult to adjust. The motor ran great in a test stand, but it had me practicing dead sticks when I put it in the plane. Ignition of the fuel was not the issue, but it was fuel regulation, or lack thereof. The fuel burn of these tiny gassers is practically zilch. Therefore it's hard to engineer a carb that can regulate the TINY amount of fuel these engines burn. That was the problem with the NV GX40 that I'm betting OS has solved with their tiny pumper carb and fuel regulator.

When I bought the GX40 I started experimenting with my other glow engines and found that they ALL ran on gasoline, a few of them pretty good if you left the glow heat on. The only thing preventing them from being flyable is the glow carb that has no fuel pump or regulator and is hard to get lean enough for gasoline. Someone in China is calling Tower every 4 hours to see if this thing is available to be priority overnighted via FedEx International shipping so they can copy the tiny carb and regulator

The bottom line is that the magic of this engine is more in the carb and/or fuel regulator than the "special" glow plug.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:46 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by psgugrad
Someone in China is calling Tower every 4 hours to see if this thing is available to be priority overnighted via FedEx International shipping so they can copy the tiny carb and regulator

The bottom line is that the magic of this engine is more in the carb and/or fuel regulator than the "special" glow plug.
I wish you could just send them a Magnum .61 and let them (re) copy that.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:20 AM
tsmitty70

Remember guys, platnum reacts with many fuel. Your cataletic converter is platnum and burns left over gas and oil in the system, so it can very well run a gas engine with the right compression/ fuel mixture. O.S has just figured this out and it seems to run well on youtube vids. My $0.02.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:40 PM
bob62
My Feedback: (28)

Just need $400.00 dollars
Old 10-16-2014, 06:26 AM
SWORDSN
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone got one?
Old 12-30-2014, 12:37 PM
samiamaustin

Has anyone considered one terrific benefit to a glow gas engine?? You can build without having to use toxic covering paints and products. Also there is no slime at the end of the day. Also you get to use a much wider selection of props. All this without having to add batteries and electronic switches and safety cut off electronics. I think glow gassers are the engines of the future. There may be some security in using a spark plug, and if you have a $3,000 airplane I would stick with the ignition systems. However, most of the smaller .55AX up to the OS .90- size airplanes would find glow gassers quick and easy to use and allow more creativity in the coverings used. Samiamaustin
Old 12-31-2014, 08:32 AM
jester_s1

Yep, we're all pretty aware that it's easier to be gasoline proof than to be glow proof. Of course, 99% of all the planes we are talking about will be covered in polyester film anyway so it's a moot point, but for those who like to build the ability to use latex is really nice.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:42 PM
Uncas
My Feedback: (1)

To me this seems be quite a breakthrough! The Norvel .40 is not the same. You must mix gas and glow fuel.

It would be great if they could do this for larger engines like the 1.60 (pattern flyer) where fuel costs are considerable.

How often do you need to change the glow plug? I have to change my glow plug on my 1.60 everytime I burn a gallon of fuel.

Last edited by Uncas; 01-03-2015 at 05:43 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-11-2015, 07:31 AM
foundryratjim
My Feedback: (93)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to know the power comparison between this and the glow powered 90.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:10 PM
BlackPowder

I have been using gasoline engines for about five years now and really like that their getting smaller because I like airplanes in the 40 to 60 size. I have used a lot of different brands and some are easier to tune than others, but they all in the end worked well for my kind of flying. Having said all that as soon as Tower gets the OS 15 in stock I'm buying one and will post what I think about it. I have a Evoulution 10cc on a Stinger ii and am using 32:1 with coleman fuel.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:27 AM
Heli-NuBee

I ordered one of the GGT15 engines and will put it in a GP Escapade 61. I will share my experience with the engine as I run and fly it.

Best wishes and good safe flying.

Heli-NuBee (aka Roger the radial rabbit)
Old 02-27-2015, 07:03 PM
Heli-NuBee

I ran my new OS GGT15 engine for the first time today. The engine started easily and ran very well. I used an APC 14 X 8 prop that turned 9000 rpm static at full thottle and 2000 rpm steady idle. I am using a Switch-Glow on board glow system that works quite well. The engine shows great promise at this time. I ran the engine for more than 45 minutes and it should now be ready for its maiden flights.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:04 PM
jester_s1

With that RPM I'd think this engine would be more a direct competitor for glow 4 strokes in the .70-.90 size range. Not that that's a problem, but it is different than what we're used to with a 2 stroke .60. I truly would love to hear of someone's experience with one of these on an SPA type plane since I'm planning to move up to a .60 size bird next year. I'm currently planning to use a Saito .91, but if this engine will match or exceed the performance I see no downsides to using the OS gasser.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:43 PM
Heli-NuBee

I believe that the performance of the OS GGT15 is approximately equivelent to an OS 75 2-stroke or a Saito 100 four stroke engine. We will see over time and experience but the rpm range with the APC 14x8 prop seem to be in that wheel house.

Heli-NuBee (AKA Roger the radial rabbit)
Old 03-01-2015, 01:37 PM
Russmall

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Heli-NuBee
I ran my new OS GGT15 engine for the first time today. The engine started easily and ran very well. I used an APC 14 X 8 prop that turned 9000 rpm static at full thottle and 2000 rpm steady idle. I am using a Switch-Glow on board glow system that works quite well. The engine shows great promise at this time. I ran the engine for more than 45 minutes and it should now be ready for its maiden flights.

Thanks for your report on this engine, it's just what I've been waiting for. I'm curious though about why you're using an on board glow system? Is that something you just decided to do or was it needed for a reliable run?
Old 03-01-2015, 02:07 PM
Heli-NuBee

The on board glow system is not necessary. I am using it so I do not have to carry a glow ignitor with my gas field equipment. I use a separate field equipment box and transmitters for my nitro planes.

Heli-NuBee (AKA Roger the Radial rabbit)
Old 03-01-2015, 06:59 PM
Heli-NuBee

"I have just done the maiden of this engine on a 4*64 the engine runs awesome but the 4* only made it three flights with a lot of flutter and almost destroyed the horizontal stb! This engine has a lot more power than the saito 91 it replaced I was using a 14x6x10 prop."

I have just received the information above on another forum. This fellow says the OS GGT15 makes great power. I hope to maiden mine about next Wednesday and will let folks know how those maiden flights go. So far, I am impressed with the little engine.

Heli-NuBee (AKA Roger the radial rabbit)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.