Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

NEW OS 15cc gasser with no ignition module needed?????? O.S. GGT15 Glow Gasoline

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

NEW OS 15cc gasser with no ignition module needed?????? O.S. GGT15 Glow Gasoline

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 03:44 PM
TOYMAKER
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Macs black one piece muffler pipe part#6860 $33.99 weights 1/3 of the stock muffler and is very quite.

See Post#65

See here -------> http://www.macspro.com/onepiece.asp

Wayne
Old 06-30-2015, 03:46 PM
TOYMAKER

Macs black one piece muffler pipe part#6860 $33.99 weights 1/3 of the stock muffler and is very quite.

See Post#65

See here -------> http://www.macspro.com/onepiece.asp

Wayne
Old 06-30-2015, 03:47 PM
TOYMAKER

delete

Last edited by TOYMAKER; 07-03-2015 at 10:09 AM.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:48 PM
TOYMAKER

delete

Last edited by TOYMAKER; 07-03-2015 at 10:08 AM.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:00 PM
Bcolici

Was that the Macs one piece muffler??
LoL.
Thanks for the help i need more like a pitts style can.
Jtech or bisson not sure which size would fit the ggt15.
Gotta make a few calls.
Thanks

Jtec makes one.

Last edited by Bcolici; 06-30-2015 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:14 PM
TOYMAKER

Any muffler that will fit the OS .61 will fit this GGT15
Old 07-01-2015, 02:54 AM
blhollo2
My Feedback: (278)

Originally Posted by Steve Percifield
this is a glow plug ignited, gasoline fueled engine. it does not use a spark plug, thus no ignition module.
Thread over.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:40 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

ill stick with the standard type gasengines i have 3 zenoga i guess thats how you spell it engines darn good engine
Old 07-01-2015, 06:17 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

This isn't a competitor for Zenoah engines. It's meant to be a viable option for replacing .60 size glow engines by keeping the weight down.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:49 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bax
It's a specialized glow plug. Some of the Turbo plugs for RC car engines cost as much or more.
BAX,

I have the CDI version of the 15cc. The CDI module is smaller than the CDIs that come standard on the GT33 for example. Will the smaller CDI of the 15 work on the 33? I like the much lower weight of this CDI

For any one wanting an ultra quiet set-up for their 15cc, install it on a soft rubber iso mount such as a Hyde or similar. Or you can build your own and custom fit it into your crate. Even on the standard muffler, the engine becomes stealthy at distance. That's how I've mounted mine and the quiet is amazing.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:02 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

Originally Posted by Gray Beard
400 bucks is a bit of a sticker shock. One of the beauties of a gas engine it getting rid of all the support gear needed. Lack of weight is a good thing though but 400 bucks?? That would buy a lot of glow fuel.
OS= "Overpriced Schitt" ...they are way over priced...IMHO..!!
Old 07-01-2015, 03:08 PM
Bcolici

Could be picked up for 329 at the right time thru T.H. with their coupon code.
Still pricey but better than almost 400 bucks.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:23 AM
tazzzz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just want to know if its an efficient engine,are there any bugs? If so ill just wait till they improve them if there is. Im not one to buy new inovations until a full report comes out down the line.

Me again--TAZZZZ
Old 08-26-2015, 06:22 PM
Heli-NuBee

OK here it comes - I went to fly my OS GGT 15 engine today and it was seized up solid. I have a lot of flights on this engine and this is the first time I have seen any problem at all with it. In my 50 plus years of flying model engines I have never before ever seized an engine. I flew the engine on Saturday and everything seemed normal. The engine did not sag during the flights and was running when I landed. It was a shock today to try to fly and find it in a seized condition. I have no idea yet what happened or exactly what is seized ( could be a bearing or the piston) but I will post an update when I disassemble the engine and find the problem. I am using a high quality synthetic racing oil mixed at 30 to 1 and the engine did not seem to be running lean.

Best wishes and good safe flying.

Heli-NuBee (AKA Roger the radial rabbit)
Old 08-27-2015, 10:19 AM
Heli-NuBee

OK, I easily found the problem with my OS GGT-15. One half of the screw that holds the rod on to the crank broke off and jammed into the engine. The combustion chamber, head, exhaust port and crankcase were all well oiled and did not show any signs of having been lean. This is simply a case of mechanical failure. I have had the engine for only six months so it should still be covered by OS. I will let you know how well the process goes. I an already disappointed that Tower no longer handles their product issues and sends one over to Hobby Services. Hobby Services does not even offer an 800 toll free telephone number and after holding on the phone for what seemed forever, I gave up and sent an E-mail. It seems to me that Tower customer service has really gone down hill. I will let folks know how this process goes because this issue is clearly a product failure situation. Here are pictures of the disassembled engine - note that one half of the rod screw is missing.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3354a.jpg
Views:	758
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	2116900   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3355a.jpg
Views:	761
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	2116901   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3356a.jpg
Views:	708
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	2116902   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3357a.jpg
Views:	730
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	2116903   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3358a.jpg
Views:	730
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	2116904  
Old 08-28-2015, 12:49 PM
Bcolici

That bites, will it be covered being that you took it apart?
Which plane was it installed on and how do you like the engines tuning and performance otherwise?
Thanks for the update.
Old 08-29-2015, 02:18 PM
Heli-NuBee

I posted a response yesterday but I will again. I shouldn't think that simply removing the head and back plate would affect the warranty. I needed to see what the cause of the problem was. If the engine would have seized due to a lean condition, that would have been my problem. However, the problem seems to be a mechanical failure and is most likely a warranty issue. The broken screw head must be wedged in the engine somewhere but I did not go any further because I did not want to make the problem any worse. The engine is totally locked up. I hope that this issue will be resolved with Hobby Services in a timely manner. I have been very pleased with this engine to this point. The performance has been great and tunning easy. I am flying the engine in an Escapade 61 and it performs great with the GGT15.

Last edited by Heli-NuBee; 08-29-2015 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:28 AM
Heli-NuBee

I received a response from Hobby Services today indicating the repairs should be covered by the warranty. That is a very positive sign. I will send the engine in for repair asap.

Old 08-31-2015, 04:05 PM
Heli-NuBee

I packaged the engine in its original box and went up to a place near my house that is called the Postal Anex. WoW! - the Postal Anex wanted approx. $40.00 to ship the engine to Hobby Services. I asked if they were a arm of the post office and offered fixed rate boxes and was told they did not offer the fixed rate boxes. So, I went to my local Post Office and shipped the engine for $12.65. It still seems funny to have to pay anything to repair my engine but at least the Post Office was much more reasonable. The engine should arrive at Hobby Services about Sept 2, 2015.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:02 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm sure Hobby Services would send out prepaid boxes for repair items so the customer didn't have to spend any money, but can you imagine how many items they'd pay 2 way shipping for that had nothing wrong with them? If it was free, every newbie who didn't know how to tweak needle valves would be sending in his OS engine, not to mention insane numbers of users who can't program a radio. It's necessary to make customers pay for shipping just to keep the number of useless claims under control.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:40 PM
Heli-NuBee

I understand your point jester-s1, however, in this case I believe that OS/Great Planes/Tower Hobby is charging a premium price for their high quality reliable product. If their high quality high priced product fails, my humble opinion is everything should be on their dime. I have been flying powered model aircraft since 1951 and am not an inexperienced person that has little if any knowledge about model engines. I also provided clear pictures showing mechanical failure in this case. It is certainly not the end of the world that I had to pay return shipping but maybe Hobby Services should consider refunding such charges after they verify that the failure is clearly under warranty.

Old 09-03-2015, 01:10 PM
Heli-NuBee

My engine was delivered to Hobby Services this morning. We will see how long it will be for Hobby Services to look at and repair the engine.

Old 09-04-2015, 08:06 AM
bhorton
My Feedback: (26)

I am having a problem with my OS GGT-15. When idling air bubbles come out of the fuel pump into the fuel line from the tank. When I go to full throttle it pulls the air through the fuel pump and into the engine and no more bubbles form in the line. If I adjust the high speed needle right after going to full power I have to richen it, then in a few seconds it goes too rich after all the air bubbles are out of the line. Also the high speed needle needs to be adjusted at each startup.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:40 AM
Heli-NuBee

My engine was always sensitive to the needle valve setting. Frequent adjustments were necessary but the engine always performed well and tuned easily until the rod screw broke. I have seen a few air bubbles in the fuel line at times but they did not seem to affect the engine running. I am hoping that Hobby Services repairs and returns my engine soon because it was one of my favorite engines to fly.

Old 09-17-2015, 03:36 PM
Heli-NuBee

I received a GGT 15 engine from Hobby Services today. It appears to be a new engine rather that my old engine. I am very happy to have the engine back it has always been a lot of fun to fly on my Escapade 61. Thanks Hobby Services, you folks were responsive and came through. It appears that OS and Hobby services do honor their warranty in a timely manner.

Thanks again for the fast turn around time, now it is time to go and break in the engine and go flying!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.