Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Is Tower Hobbies falsely advertising?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Is Tower Hobbies falsely advertising?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 05:05 PM
RUSTYCREEK
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Tower is awesome too, but I was confused too, when I purchased a Giant Big Stick thinking I was getting free shipping because I was a Super Saver fan for many years and I had a $180.00 oversize fee. Not complaining but was surprised. They are the greatest!!!
Old 07-11-2014, 05:34 PM
psgugrad
My Feedback: (2)

Based on my past experience I personally wish that tower hobbies would start an airline....and a cable company...and a hotel chain...and a car company...

See my point?
Old 07-11-2014, 05:56 PM
sdcranford
My Feedback: (4)

Shows free shipping for me on the last page before placing my order. I'm a club member and in MO, fairly close to their warehouse in IL. I also love ordering from Tower, since I got back into the hobby about 2 years ago they greatly improved their time from placing an order to shipping the item(s). Usually ship the next business day and get here in 2 business days via UPS.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:16 PM
PHall

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I added it to my cart and standard shipping is free. Two day shipping is $77. I think you chose 2 day shipping.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	2013502  
Old 07-11-2014, 06:22 PM
bub8golf
My Feedback: (2)

you pulled the trigger to soon ,all you have call customer service and it will get handled the right way! Tower Hobbies has always done me right!!
Old 07-11-2014, 06:23 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mrdhud
I decided to order the Great planes Waco YMF arf from Tower Hobbies they are advertising free shipping

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAAVT&P=0

and with my discount the price came to 480.00 or so I thought. When I went to order it on line the shipping cost came to $77.80 is there something wrong with this or is I just me if the shipping cost is not free then don’t advertise it to be free. I’d like to hear your thoughts.
I am also a Tower customer and I feel they have great service, However that being said I see your point and IMO it would be better that the free shipping logo
would be replaced with a logo that said free standard shipping see details I think that would go a long way to prevent confusion.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:07 PM
mrdhud
My Feedback: (48)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ira d
I am also a Tower customer and I feel they have great service, However that being said I see your point and IMO it would be better that the free shipping logo
would be replaced with a logo that said free standard shipping see details I think that would go a long way to prevent confusion.
Thank you ira d, That's all I'm saying.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:23 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm not sure how this could be construed as false advertising in any way. They are advertising free shipping and they are providing a method of free shipping. What am I missing?
Old 07-12-2014, 09:48 AM
CafeenMan

I decided to order the Great planes Waco YMF arf from Tower Hobbies they are advertising free shipping

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAAVT&P=0

and with my discount the price came to 480.00 or so I thought. When I went to order it on line the shipping cost came to $77.80 is there something wrong with this or is I just me if the shipping cost is not free then don’t advertise it to be free. I’d like to hear your thoughts.
I don't know how long you've been in this hobby but I'll assume you're fairly new so wouldn't understand this. But most people in the hobby would understand that when a company advertises free shipping as a general thing for their store then oversize items will always be excluded.

Sometimes large ARFs will specifically have free shipping but that will be stated with the particular item and you can bet that the ARF will cost more at that store than at other stores where the shipping for the same item isn't free.

So no, Tower isn't false advertising. The concept is generally understood within the hobby.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:44 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by CafeenMan
I don't know how long you've been in this hobby but I'll assume you're fairly new so wouldn't understand this. But most people in the hobby would understand that when a company advertises free shipping as a general thing for their store then oversize items will always be excluded.

Sometimes large ARFs will specifically have free shipping but that will be stated with the particular item and you can bet that the ARF will cost more at that store than at other stores where the shipping for the same item isn't free.

So no, Tower isn't false advertising. The concept is generally understood within the hobby.
That is not the case here. They are in fact offering free shipping on the Waco and oversize has nothing to do with it. I could understand mrdhud's point if they had plastered "Free Shipping" all over an item that they new was oversize and then tried to charge you for the oversize shipping. However, as far as I can tell, that is not what is happening here. They are, indeed, offering free shipping on the Waco whether it is oversize or not. The problem appears to be that mrdhud wants it shipped two day rather than standard post. Of course expedited shipping is not going to be free! Anyway, that is the conclusion I've come to based upon what I've read here and a visit to Tower's web site. Am I understanding it correctly or is there something that I am missing?
Old 07-12-2014, 12:47 PM
mrdhud

After reading all the posts and the possibilities were I went wrong I decided to try to go through the process again.
When I screw up I stand up and pay the price the sale did go through and there was no shipping at all so I owe Tower Hobbies and all of you an apology I simply did not follow through with the process to the end.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:26 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

After reading all the posts and the possibilities were I went wrong I decided to try to go through the process again.
When I screw up I stand up and pay the price the sale did go through and there was no shipping at all so I owe Tower Hobbies and all of you an apology I simply did not follow through with the process to the end.
And what did I previously state ? But, I also stated, don't feel alone .......... all of us at one time or another have messed up when ordering something from any online supplier.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:59 PM
wnewbury

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tower's new advertising reminds me of car dealers. Don't advertise the price, just the "savings". Makes me feel good buying from H. P. and others with more honest advertising.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:27 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So are you saying you did not actuality order the kit before you made your first post but in the order process a shipping charge popped up and you canceled the order? Also I
would like to know at what point in the second order process did you find it was free shipping?
Old 07-12-2014, 04:53 PM
r_adical
My Feedback: (19)

Originally Posted by ira d
So are you saying you did not actuality order the kit before you made your first post but in the order process a shipping charge popped up and you canceled the order? Also I
would like to know at what point in the second order process did you find it was free shipping?
Ugh
Old 07-12-2014, 07:27 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Dan thanks for being a stand up guy and coming back, yes this is mistake that many have made. The reason many as you see seem to be pro the retailer in this situation is: Although lots of folks want to ignore the troubled economic times all of us and that includes the retailers are in and the depression is deepening.

The very small industry that we all love is always the most hard hit and the first to start suffering when this happen. The internet is filled with downright thieves and fly by night operators who have no intention of giving anyone a fair break. This makes things all the more difficult for legitimate ones with established track records.

We are loosing legitimate small 'Cottage Industry' suppliers right and left, Heck some not so small and many not so small ones sold possibly never to be heard from agine. Even the largest are certainly feeling the heat big time.

Now what some folks don,t understand is the severe damage that just one disgruntled individual can do so when someone accused X company of something like false advertising and what many of us know to be among the ones with best customer service in the industry, Well we don,t want to see that company damaged to the point that this very well could affect us personally perhaps even in the loss of that supplier or increased cost to us personally.

So Dan thank you for admitting the mistake

John
Old 07-13-2014, 05:03 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Free shipping on hobby king? Anyways I've always waited 4 weeks for their items to arrive. Even paying.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:02 AM
mrdhud

I believe I did what PHall suspected I did and had the two day delivery box checked (lesson learned)
I would also like to add that my intent was not to outright accuse Tower of falsely advertising but only to ask the question (thinking I was right) is this false advertising I see now I used a poor choice of words.
Once again my apologies if I could delete this thread and make it go away I would perhaps that may help get the crow out of my mouth.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:24 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe I did what PHall suspected I did and had the two day delivery box checked (lesson learned)
I would also like to add that my intent was not to outright accuse Tower of falsely advertising but only to ask the question (thinking I was right) is this false advertising I see now I used a poor choice of words.
Once again my apologies if I could delete this thread and make it go away I would perhaps that may help get the crow out of my mouth.
OK ! OK !! Apology accepted !! But now, what is wrong with " Crows " ?
Old 07-23-2014, 05:34 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Call them. It says right on it free shipping, domestic ground shipping. Either you ordered it express or they made a mistake. Call them. They are always good at helping you out. My guess is that it was a mistake and they will fix it right away. *****ing on here about it won't get you anywhere. Pick up the phone and ask them what happened, then you will know.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:36 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry, didn't see your post that you figured it out. Bummer that a mistake was made. I have always found tower to be very up front and fair. I had an electric rimfire motor that kept eating itself and they replaced it 4 times no questions asked. This one has been running a year with no issues. Good company to deal with.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:35 AM
steph69

very poor choice of words on the thread name, tower hobbies are excellent I am in the uk and have ordered loads from them and have never had any problems. some people are far to quick to point fingers and weather on purpose or not this can stop some people from using that company. seems to be like a sport these days first to find a fault wins a prize.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:14 AM
N410DC

Despite a few minor snags (all were resolved, eventually,) Tower has already treated me right. The $10 "Super Saver" fee is not a lot to pay for all of the discounts you receive.