Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Tower Hobbies .61 RC Engine Carbureter

Old 07-17-2014, 04:48 AM
fvexecdir

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Tower Hobbies .61 RC Engine Carbureter

I have a Tower Hobbies .61 RC Engine that is missing its carb. Does anybody have a source to purchase a replacement or have any ideas about what type of carb might fit in this engine?

I have heard good things about this engine and would like to get it running but I need to find the carb.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by fvexecdir; 07-17-2014 at 08:06 AM.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:58 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Call Tower or go into the glow engine forum and factory support and ask Bax. Bill Baxter knows pretty much everything about the engines they sell.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:19 AM
fvexecdir

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thank you Gray Beard for the suggestion. I did contact Tower, but they were unable to assist. Got the "that product was discontinued, thank you for your inquiry" response. I do recall seeing somewhere that the TH 61 was very similar to another brand of engine that I'm not familiar with. I think it was a GMS?? Not sure of the brand name. All I know is that I wasn't familiar with it. May try and track down a carb for that style of engine, once I figure out what it was.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:59 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think you are correct about GMS but I never used the tower or gms engines. If you speak with Bill Baxter either at tower or on the factory support you will get a straight answer. When the tower brand came out I was unimpressed with what I saw due to there normal carb problems, air leaks. I stuck with OS until I went to almost all four strokes then I ended up using YS or OS engines.
For two strokes these days I went to the SK but have only used there .91 so have nothing to say about there smaller engines. I have had great luck with the SK and the engine and muffler only costs $100.00. I did have one crank pin break on a new one ut it was repaired and returned in less then two weeks and has been in operation for a couple years now.
These days it can often be cheaper to just buy a new engine then try repairing one if parts are needed. You may get lucky and someone may see your post and have an old parts engine and send you a carb? I have sent several people parts for there MDS engines over the years.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:06 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

GMS engines were also distributed by Tower Hobbies and were also discontinued at the same time as the Tower brand engines. As no replacement parts are available for either engine, I would check and see if Perry makes a replacement carb that will fit your Tower engine. Watch "fleebay" and the model flee markets. Good luck!
Old 07-19-2014, 10:34 AM
LouisB

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a very old OS 60 that I got from a garage sale. It had some junk no-name carb on it. I removed it, measured the inside of the intake hole on the engine and found a Super Tigre carb on Tower Hobbies' website with the same diameter. Fitted it and it works very well.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:52 AM
fvexecdir

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Louis:
I swap carbs and other parts regularly. The challenge is that the TH carb's OD throat diameter is huge. I have a parted out Super Tigre carb that I think went to one of the monster ST's and its the only thing that fits. Hoping to find either an original Tower Hobby carb, or one of the Super Tigre carbs that will fit. I've heard good things about these engines, and I'm curious to see how it really runs. I've got an old 60 sized Kaos that wants to have a new engine dropped into it.