Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Wind

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 04:58 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

I see where you are coming from. Your goal is to replicate as closely as you can full scale flight envelope. This would mean in calm and windy conditions I assume. What if we got into some specifics and I was able to share some set up tips that would make that goal easier? Would that be of interest? Granted it would take some of the full scale nuances away from your model. For example, most sport airplanes are set up nose heavy. Most of us old timers were taught that nose heavy ment more stability. It also means you have to fly with some up trim. The result is that the airplane will not hold it's pitch trim throughout its speed envelope. This makes slow flight ( scale speed ) more difficult. Now if we move the CG back some we can eliminate the need for up trim. Now the airplane does not react to speed changes nearly as much, wind either. Yes the elevator is more sensitive and that is why crashes happen. People move CG back without consideration of throws and then over control into the ground. But when you get it right it makes flying the entire speed range easier without having to chase elevator trim. Yes it is common practice to trim for speed of full scale but you have a 5 min landing approach as opposed to 30 seconds. You are correct in a big way though, the ultimate goal is to enjoy our hobby and we don't need to go about it in the same fashion as Mr. Jones.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:42 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

One of my favorite planes to fly in high wind is a trainer, pretty much any trainer. The planes that don't seem to get kicked around the most are any pattern type of planes. Not that the wind ever gets too bad in the Vegas area but it does blow up a stiff breeze once in a while. My best plane for it is the old Daddy Rabbit. Not that flies any better in the wind but upon landing the trike gear allows it to turn into the pits instead of turning around in a circle. Last September Rick Stubbs came to town and flew his super light weight Up-Roars and it was blowing at 27 mph with heavy gusting. It just made for some really good spot landings right in front of our pit. I was flying my 17 ounce electric Extra one day just for the fun of it.
When I was still teaching new pilots I took them out in high wind and we flew the trainer. I never mentioned anything about it being too windy. They did ask why no one else was at the field.
Wind tends to freak out the pilot, not the plane. A beat up old trainer is probably the best plane to fly until you discover wind can be fun but there is a point where it becomes a lot more work then fun but you have to practice in the wind to know when that point is. Everyone of us has a different idea when that point is reached. With myself that can change from day to day.
I have been to our local IMAC event and they called the event when the wind reached 28mph. The newer pilots were thrilled with that decision but the guys in the higher classes were really upset about it. Newer pilots vs more experienced pilots. Go figure???
Old 07-27-2014, 03:24 AM
a65l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I very much enjoy the below illustrated stik in the wind. It's rather large, and fairly heavy even for it's size, but it has plenty of power and control authority. I regularly fly it in crosswinds that keep other planes in the hangar. I personally think a heavier plane is more suited to flying in the wind, not stupidly heavy of course but on the heavy side of the range. Much better dampening and easier to maintain a set speed. The stik in particular has minimal cross section, which helps with crosswinds, and is, as you might expect, without bad habits and entirely predictable, which is always a plus when you're pushing the envelope. (of your comfort zone, no the airplanes!)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jan 12 (3).JPG
Views:	55
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	2017663  
Old 07-27-2014, 07:08 AM
Calvinman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Walk softly and fly a big stick What size is that thang and what power plant do you have in it?

Calvi
Old 07-27-2014, 07:41 AM
a65l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

100" w/s with a DL 100 on the front. Kinda needs it, as it's pushing 30 pounds all up.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:18 AM
Calvinman

Nice, it looks like it can handle the wind all right. Wish I had the vehicle to transport something like that to the flying field.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:00 AM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Charlie P. and Redback gave you some good advice. Symmetrical airfoil, relatively heavy (compared to today's ultra-lightweight airplanes. The Ultra-Sports are great! So are their predecessor, the Kaos. Any Kaos, or most any other classic pattern plane will ignore the wind more than most planes you could think of.

But most important of all is pilot skill. Learn to fly with rudder. Buy the 1st US R/C Flight School aerobatics books. In particular, the Advanced Aerobatics book. But you'll do good to get all of them. They will teach you how to use your rudder to compensate for wind. I used to struggle. But after reading these and PRACTICING for a good long while, the guys at the field all say how I fly planes that don't even feel the wind. They don't have a clue how hard I'm working. It's 90% in the thumbs and 10% in the plane.

So get a good old school pattern plane and learn the details of rudder control, you'll be the sensei of your field.

Dave
Old 07-27-2014, 06:06 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Dave makes a great point here, not only to properly use rudder but the type of airplane. Old school pattern airplanes are great sport fliers that handle the wind excellently. A big reason for this is that they fly pure, very little control cross couple usually have the CG sorted out correctly too. We are having a heat wave here in San Jose so we went to the coast for some flying. A couple pics.

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	2.11 MB
ID:	2017884   Click image for larger version

Views:	18
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	2017885   Click image for larger version

Views:	22
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	2017886   Click image for larger version

Views:	23
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	2017887   Click image for larger version

Views:	23
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	2017888   Click image for larger version

Views:	24
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	2017889  
Old 07-27-2014, 06:55 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Dave makes a great point here, not only to properly use rudder but the type of airplane. Old school pattern airplanes are great sport fliers that handle the wind excellently. A big reason for this is that they fly pure, very little control cross couple usually have the CG sorted out correctly too. We are having a heat wave here in San Jose so we went to the coast for some flying. A couple pics.
That's cheating Shawn!! Lightening, thunder and raining really hard here right now.
Going to the coast to cool off, sissy!!! Stay cool!!! Gene
Old 07-28-2014, 03:31 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I noticed that there were a couple of mentions of too much technical information being given to a beginner's question of flying in the wind,I really don't see it as a beginners question at all because Skinny Bob was only asking for opinions about the best airplane to fly in the wind and he just happens to be a 17 year veteran flying R/C airplanes making him far from a beginner. Speed was only trying to explain how proper setup makes so much difference on how an airplane will perform in all weather conditions. Some designs perform better then others in the wind do to moments, airfoils, and configuration, I have stated for years lighter IMO flies better. I have showed this video and several others concerning wind before but here it is this one, one more time. This is the maiden flight day, second flight after initial trim and setup work, wind blowing an average of around 20-25 mph as it always does around this field that is completely surrounded by trees causing lots of gusty, choppy wind, especially near the ground, so pay attention to the landing and windsock if you will. The airplane in this video has a 150" span and a wing loading of only a little over 26 ozs. making it somewhat a kite and playful in the wind and possessing a much lighter wing loading then most of the stuff referred to in this forum. There are no gyro's, no smoke and mirrors, and certainly no super pilot stuff going on. Setup, practice, and the right airplane is all that is needed, and the right airplane to play with in the wind is always the one you can afford to lose, whatever that may be. Just practice and have fun while your at it.

http://vimeo.com/22211697
Bob

Last edited by sensei; 07-28-2014 at 04:06 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:35 AM
Calvinman

Wow, that was great, my thumbs are way too dumb for that
Old 07-28-2014, 05:22 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The plane looks really good, Bob. Nice and smooth. I'm only just now discovering the joys of flying these bigger models. I have a 50cc Extra 300 that is worlds better in the wind and in just general flight than my .40-.60 size models are.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:17 AM
sensei

It really only takes practice to become proficient and comfortable, I am just a sport pilot that likes to have fun, and wind is the best place to have it.

Bob
Old 07-28-2014, 08:47 AM
Calvinman

Well I am going to have to get a simulator cause I just can't get enough stick time at the field to pull that kind of flying off :>]
Old 07-28-2014, 10:03 AM
sensei

Sims are a great tool for practicing, I have not used one in many years now but I went through two transmitters in three years when I did use the sim.

Bob
Old 07-28-2014, 10:03 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This past weekend I was at a local lake with two other pilots; one of which is a longtime pilot but very wind averse. The day started calm but by noon we had a front coming in and the wind had picked up to 10 mph or so and was a little changeable. He started to pass his turns, so the other pilot and I convinced him to just give it a shot. On the water, especially, you can ALWAYS control take-off and landing into the wind. No better time.

We stayed until 3:30 PM and he had a ball (as we all did). The wind got up to 15 mph and we were all flying 36" to 50" foam electrics but it was no problem at all (two Tidewaters and he had a multiplex Mentor on floats). Another man saved from the ravages of fret and loss of flying time for fear of a little wind.

The Tidewater, I am happy to report, is another good choice for windy days. I got 15 eight minute flights in with mine!

Name:	DSCN1396_zps1275da1a.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	2018017   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1391_zps55a0530f.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	2018018