Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Silly guy with a silly idea need clever help

Old 07-28-2014, 11:25 AM
aurels

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Wink Silly guy with a silly idea need clever help

Hi guys

I do have a silly idea but I need your help to find out possibilities...
I'm not into RC planes or whatever (I only have some low price RC heli but didn't fly it for months), no, I'm into flying kites. Acrobatic kite, actually.

I had a crazy idea for my kite ballet, and I was wondering if there was any solution to do it. Let me explain :

I see RC planes with smoke. I'd LOVE to get smoke at the end of my kite ballet. So I imagined putting some smoke system either on one point (the green circle on the schema) or two points (the red circles), something quite small, and very light. And I'd need to activate it remotely.

Since the kite material would be fire-retarded or non-flammable, do you think there's a possibility to reach my goal ? And if yes, what should I use ? Any advice or links or items are welcome !

Thanks for help !
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	kitesmoke.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	2018024  
Old 07-28-2014, 11:41 AM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

These guys may have what you're looking for http://www.rcsmoke.com/ . I've seen them used and they're usually ignited before the flight but they do have a device for igniting it in flight that is controlled by RC. Remote ignition requires a simple RC system and a 9V battery.

There are other sources but this is the first one that I came across when I searched and I think it's the one that I've seen used.

I used to be very active in stunt kites. I'd definitely try the keel position first as the wing tips are a bad place to add mass, it will affect the inertia of your kite. And if your kite has a sliding weight on the keel spar, you could move it up to help adjust for the additional tail weight. Of course, it won't be enough but it would help. And as it burns the weight will change. Plus you won't have control of when it goes out.

Watch out for grass fires and check with event organizers!

Dave
Old 09-20-2014, 11:09 AM
aurels

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Dave, thanks for your answer.
I found this page on here and think that may be one of the best solutions (by using the RC104 cartridge).
Since I'm gonna fly it on the beach, there will be no problem about grass fire
Plus I will be the event organizer, so I guess I'll have my own authorization to proceed !

I also think the keel position would be the best. Now I just need a smoke cartridge, an igniter, something to fix it, a RC control system (with battery) and a remote (ideally waterproof since I think I'll have no choice but to light it with my teeth !)