Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

oil mix for gas engine

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

oil mix for gas engine

Old 09-09-2014, 01:55 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doing my first gasser and though a minor issue I really didn't know how to mix oil with gas.just saw the post showing the mixmizer and went to wally world bought it and just mixed my first gallon with ultra sthil.thanks guys.
Old 09-09-2014, 03:03 PM
bzyguy01

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
I personally think that as long as you are using a good quality oil formulated for air cooled engines and your mixture is set correct then you should not have any issues. The reason why some of us are using a wide variety of different brands of oil and having good success is simply because we are using enough oil in our mix. There is no magic oil. Matt makes a great point that carbon build up is usually just running too rich.
I have to disagree with this to a point....Oils are different...Petro vs Synthetic vs castor. They do different things and all have their strong points...Examples:
Petro= I'll use it to break in new or rebuilt engines at a lower 20:1 Ratio to properly allow enough lubrication yet enough friction to properly seat the compression ring.
Synthetic= I like synthetic for normal use for longevity as its proven to be a lesser friction additive. They also burn very clean.
Castor= Known to help pull heat out of the cylinder and lower the EGT's. but often are dirtier and gum up exhaust side...They are often frowned upon for engines such as Rotax because of the power valve gets gummed up or on Hondas that use HPP's on the exhaust side. I know we are talking about simple air cooled low compression engines that do not use power ports on the exhaust but I know the difference in what the different oils do to these items with my many years of personal experience. I used Maxima Castor 927 for a year with my Moto's and had to stop using Castor based...It was hell keeping the power ports clean and I had to service them almost every two rides to keep the Engine running properly. Switched to a 100% synthetic and never had to service them even during a tear down to ring an engine I could ignore it completely it was so clean. By the way .... I have always jetted these bikes to run their best as I was racing them. They were not gumming up with the Castor due to rich conditions.

The Statement "There is no Magic oil" is true yet false... There is a difference in the oils we choose to use...Some are better than others and one type is better for a particular use than another for that same use.
AR9100 by Archoil is a great example that there are "Magic Oils". I used every type of synthetic Engine oil's etc...along with Every additive with no luck in getting rid of my extreme Injector stiction issue on my Powerstroke Deisel. Added 9 Oz's of this "Magic oil" and POOF! The engine instantly "Litterally" ran like 100% new. The truck when cold would only run on 5-6 cylindrs and not run up until it came to normal running temperature...Some times it wouldn't even start at all...Added the AR9100 and Starts right up and purrs like new no matter what temp. That's my story on "Magic Oils" Sorry if I got a bit off topic guys...Just wanted to give an example
Old 09-09-2014, 04:33 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 173 Likes on 149 Posts

BZY, great examples of what lubricants can do for things other then our model airplanes. However, when it comes down to our needs for model airplane engines my statements hold true. If there really was one oil that was that much better then all the rest it would be used by a larger percentage of guys flying gassers. If you ask 10 guys what they use you will get close to 7 different oils. This just tells me we are overthinking the whole scenario.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:59 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old ScaleGuy

Check your area for a station that caters to hot rodders, or look up a local rod club, they may look rough but most are really friendly,
My flying buddy and I go to our local privet airport and get 100 ave gas (no ethonal) it has little smell does not sour and will store over the winter just fine. for brake in's we use a good quality ashless 2 cycle oil for the first gal at 40:1 then switch to a quality synthentic.

hope this helps

Cheers bob T

Last edited by rt3232; 09-10-2014 at 07:33 AM.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:05 PM
Stick 40

I am responding to a question about star tron, and how to mix it. I thought I have clicked on respond, but I guess I did not.

They have several , I will call them levels. If you get the 48 gal. of gas mix. its 5 ML per gal.

I have been using it my older glow engines for some time and its cleaning them out, and they are running better.

sticks

Last edited by Stick 40; 09-09-2014 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:23 AM
MTK

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
BZY, great examples of what lubricants can do for things other then our model airplanes. However, when it comes down to our needs for model airplane engines my statements hold true. If there really was one oil that was that much better then all the rest it would be used by a larger percentage of guys flying gassers. If you ask 10 guys what they use you will get close to 7 different oils. This just tells me we are overthinking the whole scenario.

Exactly right!!

The fact that there are so many combinations that work fine is a great thing for all of us, especially the beginners amongst the group. Doesn't make a hill of beans difference if one uses full synthetic, part synthetic or full dyno, as long as the oil chemistry is well proven and oil amount is adequate.

I've not used anything besides the BelRay MC1 at 1:50 ratio (another way to say this is 2% oil BTW; 32:1 is 3% oil, 40:1 is 2.5% oil, etc) starting at break in and beyond. It's a terrific combination for my engines. I don't doubt that using dyno oil for break in settles things down quicker, but so what? I figure it this way, I'm gonna fly the flights regardless and get the engine the time it needs no matter what. So what's the point of different oils for break in and general running?
Old 09-10-2014, 07:42 AM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

MTK

My only reason for the ashless oil in the first gallon of fuel is it SEAM's to let the rings seat quicker, after that I think it is just personal preference, as long as it is a quality oil and fuel.

Cheers Bob T
Old 09-10-2014, 09:47 AM
bzyguy01

I mixed my first batch of Redline 2 stroke oil last nite...Will retune the birds on it and see how it goes. I'm confident its a good combo as this is the recommendation from Desert Aircraft. I will have to retune the birds this week anyways as I'm going to Warbirds Over The Rockies today and retune when I get back home to PHX.
Here's a good video by DA that shows what I'm trying to say regarding different oils further in depth besides the "it works" and "I've never blown up an engine " theory.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85O4hNZoZQQ
Old 09-10-2014, 11:30 AM
dwaynenancy
My Feedback: (62)

I'm using Fuch's Silkolene Pro 2 SX mixed 40:1. Good results so far. Has anyone else used this oil?