Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Grass Runway

Old 09-06-2014, 12:34 PM
Mike06659

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make it 500' and call it a day. That's what we have and it allows full-scale aircraft to come in at times.
Great Project!
Mike
Old 09-06-2014, 05:52 PM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks for all the advice. Bigger is better but more work. Once I start flying again I will get a better idea as to length. Two hundred fifty may be reasonable. I cut an 8' path at 3" in pasture behind my house and it did not look too bad. So 2- 21/2" may work provided it is nice and level. Once the final hay cut is done I will get the transit level out and layout and mark a runway. See how it looks. Having the pilots station at runway threshold will let me bring the airplane in ready for touchdown.

As as for a club I do plan to join a club. There I can find an instructor, meet other pilots and join in periodically as time permits.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:29 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ETpilot
I am getting back into RC flying. I am scratch building an Ugly Stik similar in size to a Great Planes Big Stik. I am going to prepare a runway on my property to fly this plane. What would be a good size for a runway? I am thinking maybe 30' x 100-150'. Any thoughts as to size?

My pastures are all hay fields. I can brush hog the runway then use my mower to finish mow. It can go down to a 1" cut but I think 2- 2 1/2" may be good. I have a site selected that favors the prevailing winds and is fairly smooth. I may have to drag it a bit. Thanks for any info.
Not to complicate the issue why not convert it to a tail dragger. I flew the original Jensen Ugly Stick off grass converted from trike to conventional gear. With this set up I could take off and land using 50 feet of runway. The Big Stick should even perform better than the normal size Stick. I'm flying a H9 Super Cub that I can land in less than 20 feet of runway with full flaps. You will be fine at 100 feet but watch the cross winds.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:34 AM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Flying at the club you'll get an idea of what kind of a runway you can get away with, using the airplane that you have. If it seems tight for the runway you want to make, you can always build an airplane that works in a smaller space.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:09 AM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ETpilot

If you are going to be the only person flying from this strip, and you are comfortable with 30 X 150 I say go for it.
But the winds are not all ways kind, our little club about 40 members Has some really good pilot's, and our main runway is 200 X750 with 35" trees 150" from the one end and due to the wind's it some times it is just barley enough, we have 6 to 10 inch grass barriers on all sides.
So if your land is profit growing land then you need to stay as small as possible, if not I would go for a bit larger field, say 100 X 250 this would give you a bit of wiggle room
Just my thoughts

Cheers Bob T
Old 09-07-2014, 06:41 AM
toolmaker7341

Originally Posted by lawrence b
Make your runway 700 X 80, that way when you want to move up to bigger models you won't have any issues. Also a bigger runway allows more room for error
Really why so big 50' X 250'-300' grass is more than enough for any size planes including turbines. I would recommend the shorter the better.1"-1 1/2" doesnt take any longer to mow it shorter than lomger and taxiing is much easier. My home grass runway is 50' X 300'
Old 09-07-2014, 11:12 AM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Charlie P and Grey Beard, and others, have it right. 150' length should be fine. The Stik should take 40-50' to take off in zero wind, depending on engine and prop. My Ultra Stik has a 70 4-stroke, and gets off in 30-40 feet. 2" grass will slow it quick on landing. Only a few grasses will tolerate 1", that's putting-green stuff.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:04 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep in mind the average modeler lets his landing/takeoff skills sink to match the length/width of his usual runway. Also keep in mind when you're flying off a big field you are seldom close to your landing or takeoff while on a small runway the model will touchdown close to you. It's a lot easier to see what the model is doing when it's near.

The neighborhood (120 houses) has it's own soccer field. Not regulation size. I fly there every so often and it's a piece of cake. Go out to the biggest club field in the area where the taxi in takes almost a minute and "hitting the numbers" is a piece of bagel.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:23 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

I'm going to agree with this, yesterday I went out to the dry lake bed flying for the first time in near a year. Just had eye surgery and can see again!! I was flying my Daddy Rabbit {1966 pattern plane} and my only trike geared plane. When I fly at a small field I watch the speed and touch down so I have a short roll out. Yesterday I was coming in a bit hotter then normal and just making sure I landed smooth. My roll outs were well beyond the length of most club fields.
Originally Posted by da Rock
Keep in mind the average modeler lets his landing/takeoff skills sink to match the length/width of his usual runway. Also keep in mind when you're flying off a big field you are seldom close to your landing or takeoff while on a small runway the model will touchdown close to you. It's a lot easier to see what the model is doing when it's near.

The neighborhood (120 houses) has it's own soccer field. Not regulation size. I fly there every so often and it's a piece of cake. Go out to the biggest club field in the area where the taxi in takes almost a minute and "hitting the numbers" is a piece of bagel.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:31 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

some people are not PILOTS just model air plane drivers. The bigger the facility the worse most of the guys seem to be.
A lot depends on how and what U fly ... My 87" 6 HP P-47 requires a lot more than my 46 U-Can-Do With any head wind at all I can land it in it's own length. most of my flying is done on a 168 x 555 with a 75 x 1200' adjacent full scale runway and if and a 100' x 2100' N S fullscale runway. We have guys that consistently are just able to get down anywhere near the middle. Some even end up in the corn or landing behind the flight line ...
The smaller U make it the better pilot U will become. JMHO
Old 09-07-2014, 05:24 PM
ETpilot

You all have my head buzzing with runway length and width. I had a rough idea of size but needed a more accurate picture. So today I got the ole tape measure out to measure my driveway and front lawn area. My driveway would make a great runway if not for the road at the end and trees on each side. Just a bit narrow. Anyway from garage to road edge 280'. Width of grass area 85'. So I am thinking 200-250' by 40-45' would make a good home runway. Now I have some markers set so I can keep that size in mind.

Thanks for for all the suggestions and advice. I, initially, was going trike but have changed to tail dragger and gas. This is one interesting adventure.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:40 PM
HoundDog

Where's the nearest club ... RC is a lot about hanging with guys ... Not just flying .....

http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx
Old 09-08-2014, 12:42 AM
davevh

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Where's the nearest club ... RC is a lot about hanging with guys ... Not just flying .....

http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx
He answered about the clubs earlier, and they are too far away from him. And that is quite a blanket statement about hanging with other guys. A lot of people actually enjoy flying by themselves. I learned to fly at clubs, been a member of many over the course of 20 years, and much prefer having the field to myself.
Much like gym, some people enjoy the social aspect rather than pursuing the activity itself. I like to workout and fly. To each their own I guess ....
Old 09-08-2014, 03:27 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by davevh
many over the course of 20 years, and much prefer having the field to myself.
Much like gym, some people enjoy the social aspect rather than pursuing the activity itself. I like to workout and fly. To each their own I guess ....
Flying alone hope U never cut your self really badly ... a year ago we had a guy cut a finger off with an electric prop .. and last Winter in AZ one of my students wasn't feeling good. He sat down and turns out he was having a stroke. Neither could have driven them selves to the hospital. But U R right To each their own I guess ...
Old 09-08-2014, 04:49 AM
toolmaker7341

Originally Posted by ETpilot
You all have my head buzzing with runway length and width. I had a rough idea of size but needed a more accurate picture. So today I got the ole tape measure out to measure my driveway and front lawn area. My driveway would make a great runway if not for the road at the end and trees on each side. Just a bit narrow. Anyway from garage to road edge 280'. Width of grass area 85'. So I am thinking 200-250' by 40-45' would make a good home runway. Now I have some markers set so I can keep that size in mind.

Thanks for for all the suggestions and advice. I, initially, was going trike but have changed to tail dragger and gas. This is one interesting adventure.
You got it now you will be most comfortable with that size as I recommended in my earlier post.

50' X 250'-300' grass is more than enough for any size planes including turbines. I would recommend the shorter the better.1"-1 1/2" doesnt take any longer to mow it shorter than longer and taxiing is much easier. My home grass runway is 50' X 300'
Old 09-08-2014, 06:25 AM
Poffit
My Feedback: (4)

I have my own runway 150 yards from the house. It was already a fairly level area in the middle of a blue grass pasture so I didn't have a lot of work to do to turn it into a decent runway. In the early spring after the ground thawed out, and was still mellow, I used a tractor and blade to get rid of the anthills and fill in the cow tracks. There were a few bare dirt patches after I was done with the dirt work, but by the next year the bluegrass had filled in those spots. Through the years I have added a windsock and a steel roof shelter for shade. Now the runway is known as my airport.

The runway is 300' by 75'. I could get by with less width, but probably wouldn't go less than 60' wide. Every plane that I maiden I like to run up and down the runway 10 or 12 times just to get an idea what the ground handling is like and try to shake any screws loose etc. When I am standing at one end of the runway and turning the plane around at the other end of the runway, that is when the 75' is nice as some of my planes have a pretty large turning radius.

I flew mostly 60 sized planes when the runway was first built and on a lot of maiden flights I would use the whole 300' length. On the first few flights the plane may be nose heavy so it will land faster and not flare like it should and I am just not used to the throttle settings that particular plane likes when it lands. Once the plane is dialed in then 200' is plenty. Now I am building 50 and 100cc planes and I think I will add another 50' to the runway. Same thing as the 60 size planes, once I get a plane dialed in 300' is plenty, but the first few flights I wish I had a 350' runway to work with. Another thing I have noticed, if it is calm it always takes more runway than if the wind is blowing. Even a cross wind shortens up the length it takes to land.

In an earlier post you said you would get the transit out. I assume this means you will be doing some major dirt work to get your runway built. If that is the case I would do the dirt work for a bigger runway now, then seed the area you don't think you need back to alfalfa or whatever your hay ground is. When I started flying, I didn't think I would ever be into the size planes that I am now, but it happened. And it will probably happen to you too. If the dirt work is already done it will be easy to make your airport bigger.

Pat
Old 09-08-2014, 01:30 PM
davevh

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Flying alone hope U never cut your self really badly ... a year ago we had a guy cut a finger off with an electric prop .. and last Winter in AZ one of my students wasn't feeling good. He sat down and turns out he was having a stroke. Neither could have driven them selves to the hospital. But U R right To each their own I guess ...
I appreciate the concern and did not mean to be hostile. I actually fly from a large school field with people around if something happens. If I cut my finger off I am sure the whole town will hear my wails of pain
Old 09-09-2014, 06:55 AM
ETpilot

Working alone. ALWAYS A CONCERN OF MINE. I work alone all the time so I have to exercise a greater amount of caution. I often study what I am about to do so I can do it safely. The hospital is 20 minutes away if I have to drive there. Getting EMS I have no idea. I have only had to drive myself to the hospital one time. It was because of a dumb mistake that could have killed. But all I got was a few stitches. HARD HEAD!

This week I am bucking some firewood getting it ready to split. Trees and chainsaws can be pretty dangerous. You really have to read the tree for safety. Out in the country you often have to work by yourself.

Anyway, getting ready to order parts, a radio and engine. Today's radios with all the available settings is a bit intimidating. I just remember the basic proportional radio that I used to use. I sure hope I can learn the radio and setup without a problem. I have a doubt lingering in my head.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:55 AM
perttime

Radios come with instructions, and you don't have to buy the most complex one anyway. My "old" radio has some features that I like very much even for simple planes: reversible servo direction, adjustable end points (even though it is still good to use most of the servo travel), and exponential. Expo lets me make control response softer near the center: easier to make very small control inputs. I don't much care for (or need) dual rates: I'd just forget to flip the switch(es) for when I want more or less surface movement.

For flying alone, you should certainly have a way to restrain the model so that it stays put when starting the engine. And spend as little time as possible to the side of the prop too.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:59 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

I moved to the city in 06 and gave away my chain saws to my son but understand you fully, I still had to cut all my own wood and I did always give the danger part a lot of thought when I was doing it. I have seen more body damage done with model planes then chain saws though, even in the days of working with a wood cutting crew. I have gotten bit several times, just a nip and not a real bite but I see missing fingers quite often. We tend to get a bit complacent with our models.
Think asking about your runway and sifting through the answers is hard, don't even mention radios!!! That is really a can of worms, just do a search, there are hundreds of pages about radios.
Originally Posted by Gray Beard
I was in the same boat, one club was about 40 minutes away and the other {better} club was right at about an hours drive. When I went down the mountain I got at the good field about 10am and everyone else was on there way out. At about 11 a couple other guys would come out and join me. The locals were afraid of the wind. We would fly until about 5 so it was worth the drive.
Right now I fly from a dry lake bed that is 27 miles away and I like it there, nice guys to hang with. I have another nice little field just down the road from me but I'm usually the only one there, not safe and it is boring without anyone else to fly with. Still, I use it, it's great to have a close runway just for those days I don't want to drive,
I would rather build then fly but I enjoy getting out with the guys for a few hours. Today was great seeing everyone, no wind to speak of and it was under 100 but HUMID!! Heat I don't mind but humid tends to make the day shorter. A home field is nice, you can invite the people you enjoy over to fly and BBQ.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:21 AM
bikerbc

Have you considered creating a strip that others can use too ? If you were to start up a club you might get a few seasoned pilots that are looking for a place closer to their home where they can fly and they could help with the work load of maintaining your strip , and be there to mentor you and others .For me me the fellowship is one of the most important parts of our hobby Also if you have club dues it could help to offset the land use cost . It is far safer to fly when someone else is around as well . If you have the land and space your strip doesn't have to remain the size that it starts out at . If you find that it is a little small you could enlarge it . I would be comfortable flying from something around 50 ' X 200 ' I am capable of flying off a much smaller surface much of the time but for a relaxing time of it a little bigger makes it easier . Especially for times when you have a dead stick or some other type of unexpected emergency .
Old 09-14-2014, 04:19 AM
ETpilot

Bikerbc I have given thought to some of what you say. I don't know if there are other RC pilots in the area. I have never seen any activity. I seem to be the only one with an aviation interest in my area. When I start flying, the plane will be somewhat visible from the road. I may get a knock on the door from in interested party.

Yesterday I drove to the bigger city to do some shopping. I decided to stop by the grass RC club. Good, the gate was open. Bad, the place was empty. I thought it would have been a good day to fly. Granted the day started out bad, rainy. But by afternoon it was dry, cool and no wind. Great flying weather. I have not had good luck visiting this club.

I did manage to walk and inspect the runway.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:01 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by toolmaker7341
Really why so big 50' X 250'-300' grass is more than enough for any size planes including turbines. I would recommend the shorter the better.1"-1 1/2" doesnt take any longer to mow it shorter than lomger and taxiing is much easier. My home grass runway is 50' X 300'

I fly my LT-40 in my horse pasture which is roughly this size, with fencing all around it about 4' high, but only use about 1/3rd of it to fly off of.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:30 AM
HoundDog

If U stand at the approach end of the runway lwft to right or right to left depending on the wind and not in the middle U can make it half the length. Reason being almost every one lands where they are standing or beyond and if U stand in the middle of the total length of your runway then U pretty much use only half of the Runway anyway. I ran into a complex like this in Denver on the East side. There (is/was) a state park thet had the pilot pads (stations) at the ends of the runways and depending on the wind U stood at one end of the runway or the the other not the middle. Anyway stop talking and get cutting winter is on it's way. Flying time is running out for the northern 2/3 of the US.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:59 AM
ETpilot

HoundDog, good point. That is how I used to fly. Bring the plane to me for touchdown and use less runway. I have seen pilot that like to land way in front of them. I have given thought to making a pilots station on wheels that I can lift and roll from one side to the other, depending on Sun position. My prevailing winds are mostly from the North. RW will be N-S.

Last cut cut is going to happen soon. Once the hay rolls are moved I will have a nice open area to inspect, decide on runway location and mark the corners.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.