Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Grass Runway

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 05:37 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Perfect, just perfect!! You could loose my original field in that three times. Forget new member, you would think the club would love to have another field to fly at in the area. I see the rolls of hay and all I can think of is duck and goose hunting? When I was still in Calif. they bailed and they never had any grain fields close enough to draw in any birds.
Old 10-19-2014, 04:06 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes, hunting season is about to start here. I hear practice gunfire in the distance. I have a lot of deer on my place but I do not hunt. A sanctuary for them.

Always something happening on a farm. Yesterday morning I was going to have a bowl of cereal, look out the window and I see 6 cows and a calf munching on my front yard. I chased then back into the pasture, locked the gate and called the owner. I have had cows and horses show up. I lock them in, give them water and wait for the owner. I have battled some wild hogs too. Always interesting.
Old 10-19-2014, 04:33 AM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your field looks HUGE! Put flaps on your plane and make field 100' long!
Old 10-19-2014, 09:28 AM
ETpilot

I debated width and length for a good while. Now that the pasture is clear I will go with this size n maybe downgrade when I get some flying experience. I am just returning back to RC flying. The hay is being moved today. Sometime next week I will run the brush hog over it then the finish mower n see how it looks.

If if there are other pilots in my area I may allow then to fly here. Just need to research it if there are pilots around. I have an access path off the main road thru a cattle guard. It passes just beyond the tree in the picture. Makes for easy access to the runway.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:29 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Get a roller on it too, the more you can roll it, the better it will get for taking off and landing.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:19 PM
AdamAuditore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I NEED HELP!
For smaller airplanes with a wingspan of about 2 feet or so, would it be possible to buid a make-shift runway out of styrofoam, with dimensions of about 3 feet by 50 feet? I would only use it for electric airplanes. Thanks for the help i appreciate it!
Old 10-13-2015, 02:45 PM
ETpilot

Originally Posted by AdamAuditore
I NEED HELP!
For smaller airplanes with a wingspan of about 2 feet or so, would it be possible to buid a make-shift runway out of styrofoam, with dimensions of about 3 feet by 50 feet? I would only use it for electric airplanes. Thanks for the help i appreciate it!
See this video He used a carpet runner for a runway. Roll out, go fly. Then roll up, go home. Good luck.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:26 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Floats! Water never needs mowing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1593.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	2125299  
Old 10-15-2015, 09:31 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Do you think you can hit a 3 foot wide runway consistently? I can't. Just find a smoothish grassy spot in a safe place that's been mowed recently and use it.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:30 PM
ETpilot

Originally Posted by jester_s1
Do you think you can hit a 3 foot wide runway consistently? I can't. Just find a smoothish grassy spot in a safe place that's been mowed recently and use it.
Jester, when I first started flying from my now 50x300' runway, there were many times I never even hit the runway. It was a sobering experience. Thumbs not as experienced as days gone by. Getting better with time.