Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

electronic ignition

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

electronic ignition

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 09:09 AM
stearman33
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool electronic ignition

i have a problem when the power is on to the ignition modular , and i spin the prop over--I lose my signal to the receiver--it goes
un-binded...the receiver works fine as long as i dont engage the power to the ignition mod..and spin the prop???? anybody on the
planet know this problem??
Old 09-28-2014, 09:33 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

You have pretty much called your doctor and said " I don't feel well, what's wrong ". When asking questions like this you need to provide as much detail as possible and back them up with some pictures.
Old 09-28-2014, 11:20 AM
jetmech05

How many batteries? What brand radio? What engine? What's the charge of the batteries and the rating
Old 09-28-2014, 05:40 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Tell us everything about your setup, especially how everything is wired and what brands your components are.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:08 PM
stearman33
My Feedback: (18)

Cool 3w ignition module

TKS GUYS FOR THE REPLY;
THE MOTOR IS A 3W 3W 80i, and i have AR7000 TX ALONE WITH AR6210 6CH RECEIVER''WITH TX ON AND REC POWER
UP 6V. EVERYTHING WORKS FINE. THE IGNITION MODULE IS POWER 6V SEPARATELY.. THE SPARK PLUG WIRE AND THE
PICKUP FROM THE MOTOR SHAFT ARE RUN TOGETHER BACK TO THE MODULE WHICH IS MOUNTED NEXT TO THE ENGINE
AWAY FROM THE RECEIVER AND SERVO S..THE CONNECTING ROD FROM THE CARB TO THE SERVO IS THE ONLY THING
THAT IS CONNECTED..IF YOU PUT THE RECEIVER IN ONE ROOM AND THE IGINITON MODULE IN A ROOM SEPARTE THERE IS
NO TOUCHING..BUT IF I TURN ON THE SWITCH TO THE IGNITION MODULE AND FLIP THE PROP A FEW TIMES THEN THE
RECEIVER WITH THE THROTTLE SERVO PLUG INTO IT.. STARTS BLINKING (LOST BIND) PLS HELP
Old 09-29-2014, 06:02 AM
jetmech05

Do you have a metal clevis on the throttle arm?
Old 09-30-2014, 06:16 PM
jester_s1

That shouldn't matter since he's losing bind before the engine is even running. Of course, the operative word is "shouldn't." With Spektrum equipment, anything is possible.

For the common things to check, make sure your spark plug cap is on tightly and connected properly internally. A loose plug can cause significant amounts of interference. You say the two systems are powered separately. I assume that means two different battery packs? Or are you using two different BECs or regulators with a single battery?
Old 09-30-2014, 06:46 PM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by jester_s1
That shouldn't matter since he's losing bind before the engine is even running. Of course, the operative word is "shouldn't." With Spektrum equipment, anything is possible.
Funny, I have used every radio brand except Airtronics. I have found no brand less or more reliable then the other. My DX 7 had 5 years of use on it and not a single issue. My Aurora 9 is now 3 years old and has been rock solid as well. IMO radio issues are usually user induced. Granted Spektrums incompatibility with previous systems makes little sense but as long as you are matching the correct TX with matching RX there should be no issue.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:24 AM
jester_s1

And that's the experience of most users. Building a circuit board isn't exactly a high tech proposition anymore, so cheap manufacturing methods can produce a usable electronic product. Yet Spektrum continues to have unexplained malfunctions across all parts of the country and at every experience level of pilot. Sure, if a guy uses a 5 year old 4.8v NiCd and digital servos with his DX6i radio the inevitable brownout is his own fault. But there are way too many stories just like this one where the user isn't a newbie and is using the right components for his build and the Spektrum radio gear just won't work right. Somehow Futaba, Hitec, and Airtronics users don't seem to have much trouble setting up their planes to make the radio gear work properly.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:12 AM
speedracerntrixie

Correct, Taking into consideration just how inexpensive our equipment is I think we get great reliability overall. I have the advantage to not only work in the electronics industry in a class 3 environment but do so building aircraft antennas. I have access to a few PHD's and ask them questions frequently. This does help me increase reliability through proper equipment layout. Even guys that have been flying for a long time can miss things. Its a case of they don't know what they don't know. Then again how could they? The manufacturers are fairly lacking on just what could be an RF source both inside and outside the airplane. I had a well known pattern pilot come to me and tell me he was getting the occasional lockout. He could not understand why. He would travel to a different field and his system would be rock solid, come home to Silicon Valley and have occasional issues. I looked in his airplane and found that one of his RX antennas was within an inch of his digital rudder servo. Hooked up to the servo was 22" of steel cable running back to his rudder. I suggested he move the RX away from the servo and switch to kevlar pull pull cables. Problem solved. He had multiple small things that added up to his issue. The last piece to the puzzle was that in a heavily populated area the ambient noise floor combined with the close proximity of a noisy servo pushed the limits of the RX's internal filtering How is the typical user to know this? IMO the radio manufacturers could do a better job of educating us on possible RF sources.