Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

iron on fabric"whats a good choice please.

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

iron on fabric"whats a good choice please.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 08:18 PM
freefall2907

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iron on fabric"whats a good choice please.

ok i am getting ready to recover my Balsa USA flybaby bipe,it was covered with sig coverall and dope 15 yrs go,i have not used any fabric in yrs and health problems will not allow me to use dope anymore,so i would like some opinions on what is a good quality fabric used today???thank you Ron
Old 10-01-2014, 03:42 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It sounds like the "tex" products are for you.

21st Century Fabric http://www.coverite.com/covering/covq0301.html may be your best solution. It is fuel proof and requires no paint to seal it.

It's not my first choice, however. I prefer Solartex from BUSA. http://shop.balsausa.com/category_s/119.htm It's easier to apply (21st Century Fabric isn't difficult), going around corners with ease. It comes in colors, and it's fuel proof, too.

Solartex states that it doesn't require sealing, but I find that it attracts dirt quickly, without doing so. This means that it needs to be clear coated. If you are good with that idea, I feel that it's your best choice.

My models are covered in Natural Solartex, and then painted. The paint seals the covering from dirt, and there are no hassles with finding matching paint for your fiberglass parts.

These models are covered in Natural Solartex and then painted.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	m_DSCF3216.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	410.8 KB
ID:	2036497   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_DSCF3437.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	516.2 KB
ID:	2036498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Big 6.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	2036499   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_DSCF2765.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	2036500  
Old 10-01-2014, 09:37 AM
Rodney

I'll second the choice for Solartex, an excellent product. You will find that Colortex and Worldtex are an identical product in so far as characteristics and ease of use is concerned.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:40 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Completely agree with the Solartex covering. I have sealed it and not sealed it. If you don't want to seal the Tex and you worry about stains from oil then you have to clean it as it gets nitro snotslime. When using a gas engine I don't bother with a seal. It goes on so easy it makes you wonder why you ever used anything else.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:46 PM
freefall2907

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you for the replys guys!!!!!Solartex it is then,,,
Old 10-03-2014, 06:54 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The seal or not seal question also depends on the look you want. Solartex is completely flat as it comes off the roll, so it won't look like painted fabric. If that's what you're going for, you're all good. But if you want a slight luster to it like you'd expect on a Cub or Stearman, you'll want to hit it with at least a couple of coats of clear gloss. It still won't have the same look as doped fabric, but it will be much closer.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:01 AM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by jester_s1
The seal or not seal question also depends on the look you want. Solartex is completely flat as it comes off the roll, so it won't look like painted fabric. If that's what you're going for, you're all good. But if you want a slight luster to it like you'd expect on a Cub or Stearman, you'll want to hit it with at least a couple of coats of clear gloss. It still won't have the same look as doped fabric, but it will be much closer.
I've had trouble with unsealed Solrtex getting dirty very easily. Have you encountered this ?
Old 10-03-2014, 07:19 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, I have. Made the mistake of flying my gas plane without sealing it and now have oil stains from the exhaust I can't get out. I did my next project and sealed it with satin water based Minwax and it cleans up easily now and has a nice look to it.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:50 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I can't recall what plane it was but it was a new plane with a new gas engine. I always break in with standard chain saw oil and the new engine splattered out some dark oil drops onto the Tex yellow covering. I tried acetone and alcohol to clean it and the little dots could still be seen. My old Boeing Bipe had a glow engine in it and the snot was all over the fuse. It was OD green so not a big problem but dumbass cleaned it with acetone and alcohol and decided to clear coat it. I was told to just use water based poly so I let it set up for a couple weeks before I flew again. Not fuel proof!! To this day it's still tacky. Still not a big problem on the OD green though. I tried to remove it and nothing ever got the poly off so I just live with it.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:53 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I can verify that the color on Solartex is not impervious to acetone. At least the Cub yellow Solartex isn't.