Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Rudder servo orientation for 52 inch OV-10

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Rudder servo orientation for 52 inch OV-10

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 08:48 AM
sportflyer-RCU
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rudder servo orientation for 52 inch OV-10

I am in the process of adding rudder servos at the rear of the OV-10 Nacelle to replace the nyrod supplied by the kit. There is a problem of servo orientation . The hinge line of the OV-10 rudder is sloped rearwards. So the best orientation of the rudder servo is obviously 90 degrees to the rudder hinge line . That places the servo at a funny looking angle to the Nacelle . If I locate the servo in the traditional orientation ,( ie not at 90 degrees to the rudder hinge line) then the geometry is not right because of the sloped rudder. My question is whether that mismatch is sufficient to cause problems ? Maybe I can use a ball link to reduce the mismatch ?

I have rethought the situation and found the solution :Mount the servo in the traditional orientation but offset the servo arm so at servo neutral it's 90 degrees to the rudder hinge line.

Last edited by sportflyer-RCU; 10-05-2014 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Found solution to my question.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:13 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fit servo, remove arm, set servo to neutral and replace arm aligned with hinge line.

As long as the servo arm at neutral is parallel to the hinge line things will work just fine. mount the servo any way you like.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:38 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, a ball link at the rudder will do a lot toward making the action smooth. Just make sure to use a good one as there are some that might be questionable for strength.