Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

On board glow

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 08:40 AM
bob62
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On board glow

I have gotten ahold of a McDaniels duel on board glow setup, my question, does this unit use a separate battery to run glow plugs or does it work off of the planes battery

Thanks Bob
Old 10-31-2014, 12:31 PM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You will need a separate battery pack for that one, which is normal for on board glow systems.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:53 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Bob Yes its a matter of safety and it not a great idea to power up a system where there is a possibility of excessive dumping of your flight control battery. I have only one airplane with a on board system and the reason is I use this ship for repetitive landing go around's, practicing arrested landings. My setup is the Sullivan and not the Mcdaniels though.

John

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Corsair.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	2043907   Click image for larger version

Name:	Corsair (2).JPG
Views:	51
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	2043908   Click image for larger version

Name:	Corsair (7).JPG
Views:	55
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	2043909  
Old 11-01-2014, 08:36 AM
bob62

Originally Posted by JohnBuckner
Hi Bob Yes its a matter of safety and it not a great idea to power up a system where there is a possibility of excessive dumping of your flight control battery. I have only one airplane with a on board system and the reason is I use this ship for repetitive landing go around's, practicing arrested landings. My setup is the Sullivan and not the Mcdaniels though.

John

John, the reason I ask the question is, I got this Mcdaniels in a trade. It as I can see was not complete, I went to their web site and down loaded instruction. In their instruction it states to only use 4.8 volt battery. This is why I ask the question. I see in your picture you are using 4.8 to drive the glow plug. I have hooked the system up on my table and all works with the exception of the glow plug, I have a 1.5 volt battery hooked for the glow drive. I get nothing. The instruction make no mention of what to drive the glow plugs. This setup is for duel engines. Any comment would be appreciated. I have several planes with onboard glow, They are all four stroke Saito, I seem to get a better idle

Thanks Bob
Old 11-01-2014, 08:56 AM
JohnBuckner

OK , I cannot vouch for any details of the McDaniels system and mine is the Sullivan. Actually both those batteries are the same 6 volt packs (five cell) and are independent one one for the receiver and one for the glow driver.

Now what I suspect is your system is probably similar to mine in many ways and is designed to provide the 1.5 volts from a 4.8 volts pack. If that is what the website said the your system I would bet requires 4.8 volt imput in order to provide the 1.5 v output at the plug. That is only my speculation but is the way my Sullivan system works but with 6 volt batteries.

John
Old 11-01-2014, 09:16 AM
bob62

You are correct John. I removed the 1.5 and installed a 4.8 battery and know I have a reading. The Molex plug for the glow plug drive only has three pins, 2 black and one red, I would assume that means a ground for each engine and you spilt the red
Old 11-01-2014, 04:43 PM
JohnBuckner

Thanks I am delighted it helped Bob. I have no idea why the extra conductor to the plug(s) is provided but your explanation sounds plausible to me.

John
Old 11-01-2014, 05:23 PM
pkoury
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you putting this on a two cylinder engine or trying to use it on two separate single cylinder engines? I have used these in the past on two cylinder engines the red lead is connected to the crankcase and the black leads connect to the glow plugs. If you are wanting to drive two single cylinder engines you might run into problems with wire lengths causing voltage drop.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:23 PM
bob62

Originally Posted by pkoury
Are you putting this on a two cylinder engine or trying to use it on two separate single cylinder engines? I have used these in the past on two cylinder engines the red lead is connected to the crankcase and the black leads connect to the glow plugs. If you are wanting to drive two single cylinder engines you might run into problems with wire lengths causing voltage drop.
I am wanting to run it on two Saito 30. I was going to spilt the red and make two grounds and use the two blacks on the plugs

Bob
Old 11-02-2014, 04:50 PM
bob62

Originally Posted by pkoury
You are correct about voltage drop, on a 4.8 battery the plugs are very hot to the touch but do not glow, but on a 6 volt they glow and it has not hurt the unit running it on 6 volts. If you look at a new Sonic Tronic it states 4.8 or 6 volts

Bob