Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

covering question

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

covering question

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 07:06 AM
cotman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default covering question

Going to cover a AMR kit with solartex. I know you have to sand well and clean all the dust off before applying covering but my question is, has anyone used sanding sealer before covering. I know using sanding sealer you can get a glass finish... but wondering if it effects the way solartex sticks to the wood. Any help is appreciated
Old 11-05-2014, 08:47 AM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/tips...g-2-print.html

Its certainly not necessary but I think the opinions you'll get will be split 50-50 as to whether it helps or not.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:56 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wiping the entire surface of a model down really well with a good tack rag will remove the sanding dust. If you feel that using something on the wood to facilitate covering, cheap hair spray with lacquer in it works as well as anything, its's cheap and you can get it locally.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:00 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clearcoat is what the manufacturers say you should use.

I did and had good results.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:01 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not with TEX covering but I have used Deft Sanding Lacquer Sealer on a float plane before covering with Ultra and the lacquer melts/softens with the iron heat and adds to the tack. The problem isn't the covering job but down the road if you want to recover or do some repairs where the covering needs to be lifted. The lacquer acts like a glue and even using heat it's a problem getting the covering to lift.
There is no need for using anything to help hold the covering down with TEX or any covering. If you feel the need for a little something extra just hit the wood with a light coat of lacquer hair spray, it gives that little extra zing.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:07 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Agree!
Been doing this for 40 years!
Old 11-10-2014, 11:07 PM
countilaw

If you have ever tried to apply covering to plywood, you will find that it just doesn't want to stick down. I have found that Titebond wood glue with a small amount of water mixed to a paint consistency and brushed on the plywood and left to dry becomes heat sensitive. The covering will then stick to it.

Another problem that most people have is trying to cover a wing center section that has be glassed with epoxy resin. Again, the Titebond wood glue and water will permit the covering to stick. I always spread some vinyl shackling to the glassed area with an additional inch out on the wood. Sand this smooth with some 220 grit sand paper and then paint with Titebond/water prep. You will be surprised on how easy the covering sticks.

You can also use Sig Balsa Rite found at your local hobby shop.

Frank

Last edited by countilaw; 11-14-2014 at 09:39 PM.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:39 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Balsarite is made by Coverite, not Sig.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:38 PM
countilaw

Balsa rite can be obtained from Sig Mfg.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:41 PM
countilaw

Balsa rite can be obtained from Sig Mfg.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:29 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Hairspray is easy, cheap, and works just fine. There really is no reason to make it more complicated than that. The first coat can raise the grain a little on balsa, so you may sometimes have to do a light sanding and then wipe it down again before the second coat. I haven't found the roughness a problem though even with the plastic films, because the soft adhesive layer is thick enough to compensate for it.