Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Pathching Pin Holes in Cowls

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Pathching Pin Holes in Cowls

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 06:56 PM
KW_Counter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pathching Pin Holes in Cowls

Hi,
I have a couple of very small dings in a cowl I'm about ready to paint.
What do people use for these small blemishes?

When I was playing around in auto body class they had a product for that very purpose.
Per the instructor, it was basically very thick paint.
Can't remember what it was called.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,
KW_Counter
Old 11-06-2014, 07:12 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

For small voids I usually mix up some 5 minute epoxy with some micro balloons or cabosil. This only gives you enough time to do a couple at a time. For pin holes prior to spraying primer I rub the whole part with light weight spackle. When the spackle is dry sand lightly with 220 just enough to get back to smooth fiberglass. The spacle will remain in the pin holes. After primer, any remaining pin holes can be filled with auto spot putty.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:56 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I use Bondo spot filler/putty. It's red and comes out very well and is easy to sand. Buy it at most any auto parts store.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:16 PM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gray Beard
I use Bondo spot filler/putty. It's red and comes out very well and is easy to sand. Buy it at most any auto parts store.
Walmart has it. I use this too
Old 11-06-2014, 11:23 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

KW-Counter, The product you were trying to remember is called "spot putty" and yes it was just thick lacquer paint. It has no structural value at all and the previously suggested Bondo body filler would be much better suited for a small hole repair on a model airplane cowl. Go with the Bondo body filler to fill the hole, sand and prime, then to fill any very small imperfections left after sanding and priming the cowl, this is where spot putty can be properly used. A light coat of spot putty, sand and reprime, scuff sand the primer, clean it (tack rag), and now paint with the finish paint color.

Last edited by 52larry52; 11-06-2014 at 11:26 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:14 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is also a product call Glazing Putty. It required a hardener (activator). It is very creamy and very easy to sand. It comes in a small tub and will go a long way. A little dab will do it !! You can get it at any Auto Body supply. It does not shrink and you can paint over it. However, it's always best to use some type of primer whenever you paint.

Frank
Old 11-11-2014, 05:08 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Be careful when using automotive filler products. Anything that requires a hardener is going to be polyester based and will not stick to epoxy well.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:55 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Typically you don't see pin holes until you hit it with primer anyway,, spot putty holds fine to that IME.

Anything bigger than a pin hole, I mix up epoxy and West Systems 410 Microlight filler, very easy to sand,,
Old 11-12-2014, 03:39 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I like to scuff the entire surface first with 180 or 220 grit sandpaper followed by spraying a light coat of high build euro prime, I then fill pin holes and/or blemishes with a polyester two part glazing putty followed with a complete 180 grit sanding until nearly all the primer is transparent and imperfections filled, I then spray a good wet coat of the high build euro prime and block sand the entire surface again with 180 grit pulling off nearly all the prime but truing the surface. Finally I spray a light dust coat of the high build euro prime and sand with 320 to 400 grit prior to my first base coat application.

Bob