Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Stupid things we have done

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Stupid things we have done

Old 11-20-2014, 12:17 PM
bikerbc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid things we have done

I just wondered if anybody was interested in posting any of the stupid things we have done over the years in the hobby . I just did one a while back . I was using my Slot Machine to cut some slots for hinges and I used my finger to back up the trailing edge so it wouldn't break and of course when the blade came thru it cut my finger . . I remember hearing about somebody that wondered if their CA bottle was plugged so they stuck it in their ear and squeeqed and of course got some CA in there ear . Then they tried to quickly dig it out with their finger and of course got their finger stuck in their ear . One time I dropped my Ca bottle on the cement floor and a few drops popped out . I picked the bottle up and stepped in the drops with my bare feet ..I was lucky I could reach my scraper to free myself .
Old 11-20-2014, 12:35 PM
grosbeak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last Saturday I tried to clean the shavings from a razor plane with my thumb.

Old 11-20-2014, 05:11 PM
Jason Gross

One time in the excitement of trying out a new plane I had just got I made the mistake of standing in line with the prop/spinner during start up and the plastic spinner came apart. I got hit right on the eyeball with a big piece of spinner. Thanks to pure luck the chunk was turned just right when it hit me so that there was a nice smooth surface smashing into my eye instead of the jagged edge. Stupid.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:34 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hmmm, Stupid OK. Few year back the wife and had a pair of cats that loved my work bench and they were almost constant company. They always were very careful never causing any problems until one crazy day. I am in the habit of always using squeeze ca applicators and one day I absent mindedly forgot both cats were on the bench and removed the top of a fresh 4 ounce bottle and sat it down on the bench while I reached for the Ca applicator to fill.

Well one of the cats somehow managed to brush the bottle over on her tail as well as the other cats tail and when they realized that both of their tails were permanently attached by the fur it was instant total kaos I think they must have worked up to around 30 RPM before the wife and I were able to each hold down a cat as they were getting a tail haircut with scissors.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Itty bit 003.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	244.9 KB
ID:	2048970   Click image for larger version

Name:	Itty Bit and starter 005.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	263.7 KB
ID:	2048971  
Old 11-20-2014, 07:46 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I was working on a rubber band kit on a slanted art table one time, and an exacto knife rolled off it. It fell ..just missing my legs and stuck point down in the floor right between my bare feet.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:26 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was doing a build thread some years ago and had just mixed up a very large tub of epoxy, holding the cup in my left hand I looked at my watch to see what time it was. A big batch of epoxy on the floor. Thing was back in those days my shop was my old mobil home we had just moved out of with new carpet on the floor.
I'm also terrible with knives, give me an Exacto and a straight edge to cut some sheeting and I will give you blood.
I do so many silly things in my shop I don't even keep score. I have rubber sole stuck to my floor from my summer builds when I wear flip flops. During the winter I just have to get down on my hands and knees and remove the rubber with acetone.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:52 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well this goes way back, but I used to fly my cox control lines in the street and when a car would come I would fly high until they passed. We lived on quiet street back then.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:57 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by raptureboy
Well this goes way back, but I used to fly my cox control lines in the street and when a car would come I would fly high until they passed. We lived on quiet street back then.
Very close to that. I used to fly my PT 19 in a golf course parking lot. Could not for the life of me figure out why the guy in the Pro Shop was so angry. I didn't think the engine was too noisy LOL
Old 11-21-2014, 11:37 AM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

This happened to me once too. I was flying a Jimmy Walker AJ Fireball with an OK Cub .049 in an intersection. Our neighborhood streets were dirt then, and in the summer they put oil on them to keep the dust down. That was about 1955, and I don't think that lady had a clue about what she did. What a wonderful era to grow up!
Old 11-21-2014, 12:01 PM
aspeed

This isn't really related to 'stupid things I've done', maybe that I might do. Do you think a dirt runway with oil, may work for a flying field? Keep the dust and weeds down, allow small foamies to take off....?
Old 11-21-2014, 01:02 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I don,t see why not
Old 11-21-2014, 02:13 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Originally Posted by aspeed
This isn't really related to 'stupid things I've done', maybe that I might do. Do you think a dirt runway with oil, may work for a flying field? Keep the dust and weeds down, allow small foamies to take off....?
My driveway in Calif is a mile long dirt/gravel road and oil was what we put on top of it. Once it sits without traffic on it for a few days it soaks in very well.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:55 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not stupid enough to admit what stupid things I have done !
Old 11-21-2014, 06:33 PM
THERCAV8R
My Feedback: (283)

Originally Posted by Granpooba
I'm not stupid enough to admit what stupid things I have done !
Ditto!!! the list is a long one.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:14 PM
bub8golf
My Feedback: (2)

I repairing a hatch forgot to take the lipo batt as I drilled the hatch bit went thru and in the battery it went wow !!
it blew up like a volcano lucky the deans connector was sticking out I grab it and threw the battery out in driveway and a flash fire
lasted a few minutes .........
Old 11-21-2014, 09:17 PM
52larry52

Some of these are quite funny, mine is just plane stupid. About 10 yrs back I headed to the flying field with 5 or 6 planes nicely packed in the back of my pick up (with a covered cap) , started to unload, put a fuselage on the assembly stand only to realize I had NO WINGS packed! Five or six fuselages and support equipment but not a single wing! I didn't fly that day.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:34 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by aspeed
I have flown off an oiled dirt runway. That was years ago, so I wonder if the environmentalists would nix the idea today. I can see the headlines "Toxic Model Runway Shut Down by EPA".
Old 11-21-2014, 09:39 PM
52larry52

About that dirt runway with oil poured on top of it idea.........I too can remember when that was common practice to spray oil on a dirt road (the govt used to do it) or pour oil on a dirt driveway. When it packed down it made an almost paved like surface. However, I would bet in this day and age the EPA and the tree huggers would have a hissy fit if you did that. If caught doing that today I would just tell the tree huggers that the oil originally came from the ground and I was just putting it back where it came from ! !!
Old 11-22-2014, 12:26 AM
thewoff

Years ago my cousin and I, while in the basement decided to start a cox engine,,,,,handheld, that day a 10year-old or so(don't remember exactly) found out that an engine will burn fingersLOL. the engine and prop flew very well acros the room lesson learned,,,, don't hold an engine with bare hands. And again my list is tooooo long.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:19 AM
Lifer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

In the past I had used K2R Spot Remover to get oil out of soaked balsa wood. On time, seeing that the plastic gimbals on my plastic Futaba transmitter had a lot of oil on it, I decided to give a generous spray on the gimbals. The next day, while flying my Sweet Stick the control stick fell off the gimbal. Seems the solvent in the carrier of the spray slowly dissolved plastics. Rudder/throttle stick was still partially intact. I was able to land the plane with rudder stick on the left and the elevator trim on the right. The left stick fell off while I was walking back to the pit. My friends were laughing their a**es off.
Bought a new radio that afternoon.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:51 AM
djstar39
My Feedback: (4)

When I was brand new to the hobby my buddy took me to Toledo... I was told Hitec servos were the thing to have so I walked up to a JR Rep and asked him where I could find some Hitec servos. He said "I'll give you High Tech!" in a very sarcastic voice and walked away. I felt so stupid! My buddy reminds me of this every year when we head to Toledo.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:14 AM
doolittles
My Feedback: (5)

OK this is stupid , but here go's i was using CA out of a new bottle and a few dopes fell on my pants ! I did not know that had happen until i got up from my work bench to go to the bath room , to my surprise my ***** was stuck to my lag !!!! Thats all i am going to say !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boom Booooom
Old 11-22-2014, 08:03 AM
vega406
My Feedback: (73)

Forgot wing tube because I had others that have carbon fiber spars only and didn't click in my mind this has one after not flying for the winter https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&list=PL5C03A075F19FF9D3&v=Wfpyx6INHJU
Old 11-22-2014, 08:14 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

For those who fly both 72mhz and 2.4ghz remember you still have to extend the 72mhz transmitter antenna..
Old 11-22-2014, 08:45 AM
Lifer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

It's kind of amazing your jet got as far as it did. Sad loss.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.