Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Stupid things we have done

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Stupid things we have done

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 09:20 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by flycatch
For those who fly both 72mhz and 2.4ghz remember you still have to extend the 72mhz transmitter antenna..
Yes, that is true. I had just rebuilt my favorite YS 110 and put it back in my trusty old Hots. Took off, made the turn and the plane went straight in. Broke the cylinder right where the header screws in and the plane was a total loss.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:30 AM
vega406
My Feedback: (73)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lifer
It's kind of amazing your jet got as far as it did. Sad loss.
I was surprised it went that far it did have spars like other Jets but obviously wasn't made to hold wide wing span.. Oh well I replaced it with another just like at Best in the West
Old 11-22-2014, 12:30 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Ailerons back wards onece and ailerons not plugged in once, did not end well!
Old 11-22-2014, 03:49 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

I went to the hobby shop 50 miles away to get only some fuel. To make sure I wouldn't buy more planes, I took the Corvette.
Well, that huge box was hard to stow on the passengers seat and I had to hold it all the way home...
Old 11-22-2014, 04:49 PM
wnewbury

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1. Flying a Cox 049 two channel. No throttle. Right after hand launch I remembered I had only used two rubber bands on to hold the wing on. Talk about trying to fly smoothly. And hoping the engine would hurry up and run out of fuel !

2. Flying a Cox 049 sport free flight. No radio. No timer. Put a little bit too much fuel in the tank and wonder if the darned engine will ever quit !
Old 11-22-2014, 04:58 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

When I go to my daughter's in Colorado I take my small car instead of the. S10 with the shell. Because it holds to much and don't need another plane! But somehow I always seem to get one in there.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:18 PM
Lightspeed1551
My Feedback: (4)

When I was about 2 years into the hobby (2002ish) I adjusted the clevis position on an elevator servo arm and forgot to put the screw back in the servo. Took off, got the plane 50 feet out and100 feet up and the arm fell off and it crashed. Total loss of a kit built Sig 4-Star .60.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:07 AM
lopflyers

I was charging 3 lipos on my quad charger. When trying to hook the fourth the balance board came out.
I tried to stick it back in but didnt have enough room so i disconnected the banana plugs with a 6S still conected to the other end, pufffffffff, i burned my hand, the battery and almos the shop.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:07 AM
AllModesR/C

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

When I was 14 I accidentally shot super glue in my eye when building an ARF. I quickly went to flush it with water and straight to the doctor. He said that was good or it would of been ugly.

Originally Posted by OliverJacob
I went to the hobby shop 50 miles away to get only some fuel. To make sure I wouldn't buy more planes, I took the Corvette.
Well, that huge box was hard to stow on the passengers seat and I had to hold it all the way home...
Haha love it!
Old 11-23-2014, 08:52 AM
vega406
My Feedback: (73)

my mistake always is going to Hobby Shop with more money than I need to spend
Old 11-23-2014, 08:54 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Exacto knife rolls off the bench, force of habit break the fall with my foot, exacto knife standing straight up imbedded into the top of my foot. I could even watch my heart beat as the handle moved back and forth. Running shoe started to turn pink when knife removed. Walked funny for about a week.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:34 AM
tigrejohn
My Feedback: (7)

Way back when CA first came out, there were no commercial accelerators. Baking soda did a nice job to the point that the cure would smoke. But you had to sand the joints cause it foamed a bit. then I heard that moistening the wood would speed up the set without the build-up. In a hurry, didn't get a wet sponge building floats out of plywood so I ended up licking the edges. Guess who forgot the sequence! Wife laughed her ass off for two hours before I could get the wood of my tongue without injury. Tongue was sore for two weeks from the burn.
Old 11-23-2014, 02:52 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I resemble three of these recent posts. Ailerons backwards on a Jensen Ugly Stick. I saved it. Ailerons not plugged in on a Proud Bird EF-1. I saved it. Aileron screw left off of a Kraft KPS 14II servo on a Formula 1. Servo arm didn't fall off, so I got lucky on that one. I've done so many dumb things, I can remember a fraction of them, but when someone posts a familiar story. I think "I did that"! Problem is most of my dumb stunts destroyed good equipment.
Old 11-23-2014, 02:52 PM
BobbyMcGee

I don't think what I've done is stupid. But my ex-wife sure thought so. So I guess stupidity depends on a person's viewpoint.

So you tell me if this is stupid or not ...
I have more than $30,000.00 (thirty thousand dollars) invested in jets, support items, other planes, transmitters, supplies, and future projects that I already have all the components for.

I don't think that's stupid at all compared to the other guys I know that have that amount of money invested in just one jet. Then add the cost of the trailer, more supplies, extra turbines, future projects that have been sitting around for years, other jets, etc.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:03 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

http://adamone.rchomepage.com/cg_calc.htm Not using this device.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:47 PM
BoiseBee

A few years ago I lost a Tiger 2 that I had flown for 16 years. Never crashed. Went through new wheels, servos, and an engine to keep flying. Was getting ready to restore. Came to field, did simple loop and lost plane! "Stupidly" I came in too close with a facing xwind, which probably shifted to direct xwind. Bottom line: with power back at top of loop, it just blew right over my head and hit the ground. Total time: 1 second.
Never get over-confident.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:17 PM
Jason Gross

I drove an almost four hour round trip to buy a real nice tiger 60 with a satio 91 on the nose. Got it programed into my radio and took it to the field Saturday morning only to shred it through some power lines 15 seconds after take off.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:10 AM
Scott Douglas

I got married

Actually that's not fair.. my other half lets me have enough freedom to enjoy myself! (I'm ordered to say ).

I do remember working in my garage one day and reaching blindly out for my scalpel while holding my model ( of course I knew exactly where it was on my workbench ) only to find it impaled through my right pinkie. When I wandered into my house with it still sticking out and flapping up and down like a springboard the look on her face was priceless.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:15 AM
Scott Douglas

Posting sentence 1 above apparently

Doc says I'll be fine once the stitches come out.....
Old 11-24-2014, 05:22 AM
OliverJacob

...while packing up the planes to get to the field quick, I noticed one wheel was a little hard to turn. As a quick fix I wanted to spray some grease on it. Grabbed black paint instead and came late to the field after cleaning it up.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:43 PM
Propworn

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

One of the guys in the club walked through the door protecting the nose of his plane only to rip off the tail feathers a second later.

One club has a fly through the barn competition each year. The prize money increases each year its not won. The year I was there it was $1200 and the guy next to me was going at it hard and fast but couldn't even hit the barn much less the 24 by 42 inch opening. After several tries we were talking when he asked how big the opening was. When I told him he got a funny look on his face. I asked him what was wrong. Good thing I have bad aim my wingspan is 48 inches.