Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Returning to RC after 25 years- Radio Question

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Returning to RC after 25 years- Radio Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 06:03 PM
Frank Ts Stuff
My Feedback: (130)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All 5 of the "big guys" will work excellent for you. Futaba, Spektrum, Airtronics, JR, or Hitec

I would suggest finding out what the guys (clubmates, friends, local hobby shop guy, etc.) who will probably be helping you use currently and go with that. Will make having programming questions answered a lot easier even if they do not have the same exact model radio as you, each brand has it's own protocol.

-Sean

Last edited by Frank Ts Stuff; 12-08-2014 at 06:12 PM.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:58 AM
mu2driver
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rainyday101
Located just north of Green Bay, WI.

I like your avatar. In my earlier life I used to do avionics on Moo Two's.
Thanks, I survived flying many years in the Mitzys, 135 on demand charter in all wx, IBA Charter out if Tulsa, very fun time in my life...now I fly Uav's

just played with a Fr Sky, trannis...good tx as well
Old 12-09-2014, 05:54 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Spectrum DX6i. If for no other reason there are a great many BNF aircraft that have Spectrum receivers already in them.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:55 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Find a place to fly... buy a radio that they are familiar with... don't ask, look and see what they are flying. That way, you will be able to get help with your radio.
A foam electric trainer and 3 or 4 batteries, and a good hobby charger are necessary to have any fun. One batt, one flight, go home is not worth the trip to the field.
Parks in my area have a ban on flying. You need to check local rules. A club is a much better choice.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:58 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

BTW, if you get the DX6i that takes AA batteries you can use the rechargeable kind and charge it from a good LIPO, et al, charger. Even if it uses the AAs it still has a charge plug.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:50 AM
toolmaker7341

First off, I greatly appreciate everybody's opinion. I realize this can be a ford/chevy thing, but I just need advice after being out soooooo long. Things have changed since the days of drooling over Tower Hobbies, Hobby Lobby, and Hobby Shack catalogs. Yes that's right, we actually use to send in checks, wait for the check to clear, and then wait for shipping. It took 2 weeks to get anything!

I am soaking up all the advice and researching radios, again. The thing is, with three boys, I will probably have to go less expensive because I will no doubt end up with three radios. Also because of 3 times the cost we will by mostly flying 42" and less electrics to start. Right now I am looking at a few planes to include the Herr Cloud Ranger, Mini Telemaster, and some Alien
craft. Also Mountain Hobbies. I have already downloaded and saved over 150 plans. Ace Whizard, Jr. Falcon, RCM 05 trainer, etc. I understand the need for more channels, but for now multiplying by 3 gets pricey so we are staying on lower cost side for now. By the time we are done I imagine the wife will be flying to.
Check out Hobby People's (Hobby Shack) Aero Sport radios TX & RX made by Airtronics 6 ch $69.99 just has servo reversing no programing but your old school and know how to set up a plane without that using linkage to limit and produce differential throws. Three radios $207.00 total with free shipping
Old 12-09-2014, 08:31 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What about Hobby King Orange Radios? Inexpensive. If I were starting, I could get a lot of bang for my buck. I would not buy a radio without some programming capability.
I do not intend to start a HK flame war. I just think that it should be presented as an option. There is a lot of push back buying directly from Hong Kong... but it is an option.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:02 AM
bafflerback
My Feedback: (6)

Are you going to fly with a club or go it alone. I would recommend that you look up a club in the area and buy what they are flying. This way if you have a question or a problem you can talk to people using the radio and get help fast. Most of out club flies Spectrum. So it there is a programming issue or a radio question there is always someone that has an answer. On occasion someone will join with a Futaba. Good radio but the programming is different. Makes helping that much harder.

I would not use the Hobby King orange receivers in any airplane of any value. They appear to work fine in smaller airplanes that are flown closer in but I've seen range issues on bigger stuff that seems to be flown farther out.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:22 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mu2driver
Thanks, I survived flying many years in the Mitzys, 135 on demand charter in all wx, IBA Charter out if Tulsa, very fun time in my life...now I fly Uav's

just played with a Fr Sky, trannis...good tx as well
I fly with a fellow that has been using the FrSky system for four years now and hasn't had a radio glitch. I just tried there 8ch RXs with my system, an old Futaba 9-C with a Hitec module. They didn't like my system so I sent them back. Aloft Hobbies are pretty good people to deal with. They answer emails and there phone.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:43 AM
rainyday101

Originally Posted by toolmaker7341
Check out Hobby People's (Hobby Shack) Aero Sport radios TX & RX made by Airtronics 6 ch $69.99 just has servo reversing no programing but your old school and know how to set up a plane without that using linkage to limit and produce differential throws. Three radios $207.00 total with free shipping
I will definitely check those out. Right now I think we are going to end up with a Tactic TTX610, just because that is what comes with the version of Real Flight 7.5 we are going to get. I checked a hobby store (Hobby Town USA) about a hour from house yesterday and he sells almost exclusively Spektrum. He said that is what 90% of the people in the local club are flying so that is why he switched from Futaba.

I know the TTX610 isn't programmable, but for now it is like getting a free xmitter so that is what we will use. Looked at receivers and servos for this and they are priced inexpensively. For now with three channels, possible four it will work. Being old school, and flying simple planes I think it will suit our "needs for now."

I sure did like the new Spektrum 6DX they had at the hobby store and that is a good possible upgrade when the time comes. With three kids the TTX610 would never sit and collect dust. To my surprise the prices at the hobby shop were as good or better than online pricing. I know I will pay sales tax, but I will probably support the hobby shop.

We do have a club about 5 miles from my house that I will be checking into, but also my dad has large fields and lives right across the street from me.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:04 AM
mattnew
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I will definitely check those out. Right now I think we are going to end up with a Tactic TTX610, just because that is what comes with the version of Real Flight 7.5 we are going to get. I checked a hobby store (Hobby Town USA) about a hour from house yesterday and he sells almost exclusively Spektrum. He said that is what 90% of the people in the local club are flying so that is why he switched from Futaba.

I know the TTX610 isn't programmable, but for now it is like getting a free xmitter so that is what we will use. Looked at receivers and servos for this and they are priced inexpensively. For now with three channels, possible four it will work. Being old school, and flying simple planes I think it will suit our "needs for now."

I sure did like the new Spektrum 6DX they had at the hobby store and that is a good possible upgrade when the time comes. With three kids the TTX610 would never sit and collect dust. To my surprise the prices at the hobby shop were as good or better than online pricing. I know I will pay sales tax, but I will probably support the hobby shop.

We do have a club about 5 miles from my house that I will be checking into, but also my dad has large fields and lives right across the street from me.

I think that is a great plan. Quite honestly for any trainer you fly you won't need 99% of the programming anyway. Get back into the hobby, get flying and then once you have your head around everything new, figure out what you need/want on your own. Tactic has a whole line of SLT compatible bind-n-fly planes so you won't be short on options with that radio as well. It should serve you just fine for the next several years.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:05 PM
rainyday101

Okay, scratch the Tactic radio. Turns out Real Flight 7.5 with the Tactic TTX610 won't be ready for Christmas. Kinda ticked about that one. Called Hobbico and they said the radio is not going to be done in time for xmas. I was looking forward to RF 7.5 with the wireless link so that we could hook the laptop to the big screen TV and fly. Just when I was sure, I am unsure. That really screws up the flight simulator route for me also.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:53 PM
Gray Beard

Gives you something to look forward to. There are other cool things you can get now. When is it going to be ready for the market?
Old 12-10-2014, 06:59 PM
rainyday101

Originally Posted by Gray Beard
Gives you something to look forward to. There are other cool things you can get now. When is it going to be ready for the market?
Yeah, I am fine with it. Kids for Christmas, not so fine. They said end of December as in after Xmas. I asked three times if it would be ready before Xmas, they said end of December. I then said end of December as in after Xmas and they said yes. I asked him if the ship from China was slow and he said no they are in another part of the building working on it right now. They are made right there in house- not China. Now that is impressive. I just assumed China, my mistake. Makes me want one even more now.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:54 PM
Gray Beard

I tried to order a purse for my wife, said 16 days shipping but when I placed the order it said delivery date January 6?? They were from China!! I had to settle for another one that I didn't like as much.
Did you ask where the components were made? Assembled in America doesn't mean as much as it used to. Components are made all over the world these days. That has effected all of our products even when made here.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:49 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IMO you really need to read up on all the info out their as to what people are saying about the issues they may or may not be having, Their are some that think
that all the brands are equally reliable I don't think that to be true buts that's me. I use a Airtronics SD10G also a Futaba 9C and a Hitec Optic 6 and they all work
well but if I was to purchase a new radio today based on what I have read in the different RC forums I would not purchase a Spektrum or Hitec 2.4 system.

I would go with Futaba or Airtronics or JR in fact if Airtronics does not come out with a SD 10G replacement my next radio could be a JR11X although currently
i'm not in the market for a new radio but I do also think the Futaba 8FG would be a good choice. Also check out the Tactic from Tower I don't know anyone that
has one but I have not heard any thing negative about it either.

Last edited by ira d; 12-10-2014 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:05 AM
rainyday101

Originally Posted by ira d
IMO you really need to read up on all the info out their as to what people are saying about the issues they may or may not be having, Their are some that think
that all the brands are equally reliable I don't think that to be true buts that's me. I use a Airtronics SD10G also a Futaba 9C and a Hitec Optic 6 and they all work
well but if I was to purchase a new radio today based on what I have read in the different RC forums I would not purchase a Spektrum or Hitec 2.4 system.

I would go with Futaba or Airtronics or JR in fact if Airtronics does not come out with a SD 10G replacement my next radio could be a JR11X although currently
i'm not in the market for a new radio but I do also think the Futaba 8FG would be a good choice. Also check out the Tactic from Tower I don't know anyone that
has one but I have not heard any thing negative about it either.
The Tactic radio is the one made by Hobbico here in the US. I know Hobbico wants to have it done by the Xmas deadline and they are working hard to do it, but we will see. Kids aren't big on rain checks for Xmas! I understand that there is no way it is all American made as not all the IC chips etc. are US made. I do really like the new Airtronics Aquilla 6 channel but they have limited receivers and servos available for their products, which makes me a little gun shy as to their future? I do like the Futaba 6J but one thing I don't like about it is 4 character model naming. To me that was a excuse less blunder! That is not a deal breaker though, more of an inconvenience if anything.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:12 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A guy at my field just bought a Aquilla 6, One thing I don't like about it is it does not come with rechargeable batteries that would be something else to
check for when shopping for a new system.