Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Returning to RC after 25 years- Radio Question

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Returning to RC after 25 years- Radio Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 03:10 PM
rainyday101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Returning to RC after 25 years- Radio Question

It's been 25 years since I have flown RC.

Returning with kids to RC. We are going to start by getting a simulator, probably RF 7.5.

Looking at the first plane being an Herr Electric Cloud Ranger.

Radios have changed a lot. In the past I have used Cox/Sanwa, Futaba, Tower Hobbies, Futaba.

We will be flying all electric 36" to 72" electric trainers to start. Most likely 3-4 channel.

What is a good radio to start with? Budget is at about $200, a little flexibility in that price.

Would like to use the same radio in several planes with additional flight packs.

Reading all the reviews is confusing and has me drawing no possible conclusions.

I would like good range with a record of dependability. I am guessing programmable would suit my needs best for use in several different planes. Again I guess programmable would be better because set-up from plane to plane would be easy. Any recommendations?

I have been kinda leaning towards Futaba because my past experience tells me they were extremely well built and dependable. I am however flexible and open to suggestions. Price isn't the selling point for me, dependability and reliability are more important.

Advice needed!
Old 12-07-2014, 04:18 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Futaba JR or Spektrum will do the job. [ Spektrum DX 6 looks good to me.]

In your position I would go somewhere that has all three on offer or available and see how they feel in your hands.

Buy the one that feels 'right'.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:22 PM
rainyday101

I'm not so much interested in what feels right. I am more interested in which has reliability and range. I have been researching for several weeks and have read there have been issues with certain models having receiver glitches, noise problems, etc.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:50 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I for the most part fly Airtronics. They have never let me down, no brown out, glitches or other problems. I have (2) RDS8000's that work very well.

I picked up a 9x for the small foam planes. Well now I use it for everything. It has been problem free. Yes the learning curve on the programming was a little rough. But after about 45 minutes of programming models and then deleting and starting over, it is not too bad. For less then the cost of a name brand radio I picked up a radio I have not had a glitch, brown out, or loss of signal plus I have 12Rx's to go with it. There are people who swear by the 9x, those that swear at it, then those who claim it is junk but have never used one.

You can upgrade the firmware on the radio too. Another one to look at is the Taranis.

RD8000
http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...1-rx-only.html

SD-10G
http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...w-10ch-rx.html

9x
http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-th9x-r...nel-radio.html

Taranis
http://www.alofthobbies.com/frsky-ta...r-combo-1.html

Radios sure have come a long way since my old Heath kit, EK Logic, Kraft radios.

Buzz.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:01 PM
rainyday101

Thanks Buzz,

What about this radio:
http://www.amain.com/airtronics-aqui...ceiver/p275677

Seems like Airtronics is harder to find these days.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:24 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are several of these http://www.gravesrc.com/tacj2600-tac...no-servos.html at my club and have been very good. The club even bought some for the club trainers.
As far as issues Futaba and JR have been rock solid. Personally, I am a Futaba guy.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:18 PM
rainyday101

Thanks Acerc. Nice price on that radio and sounds like they are dependable at your club.

I am also looking at these two:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXMV6&P=0
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXARLD&P=0

Both are Futaba.

What really shocked me after being gone from the hobby for 25 years is the lack of kit aircraft. To me building a plane is half the fun. There is nothing more rewarding than turning a box of balsa into a finished plane.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:45 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by rainyday101
It's been 25 years since I have flown RC.

Returning with kids to RC. We are going to start by getting a simulator, probably RF 7.5.

Looking at the first plane being an Herr Electric Cloud Ranger.

Radios have changed a lot. In the past I have used Cox/Sanwa, Futaba, Tower Hobbies, Futaba.

We will be flying all electric 36" to 72" electric trainers to start. Most likely 3-4 channel.

What is a good radio to start with? Budget is at about $200, a little flexibility in that price.

Would like to use the same radio in several planes with additional flight packs.

Reading all the reviews is confusing and has me drawing no possible conclusions.

I would like good range with a record of dependability. I am guessing programmable would suit my needs best for use in several different planes. Again I guess programmable would be better because set-up from plane to plane would be easy. Any recommendations?

I have been kinda leaning towards Futaba because my past experience tells me they were extremely well built and dependable. I am however flexible and open to suggestions. Price isn't the selling point for me, dependability and reliability are more important.

Advice needed!
Firstly welcome back to the Hobby!

I had a 10 year break and came back four years ago. The changes were significant even then.

The newer radios are far more capable than anything you may have previously used and there will be a learning curve whichever you choose.

Futaba is a good brand and it was my first choice when I started again. I bought a 6EX, it worked flawlessly and still does, however programming is very limited and not very intuitive.

If the budget can stretch a bit an 8FG is significantly more radio - programming is far easier due to a better display and you won't quickly outgrow it.

I have also used JR radios and Spektrum which have proven to be equally reliable to Futaba. The range for each brand is comparable.

Some may disagree with this but if your budget is $200 I recommend considering the FrSky Taranis, It is a relative new comer but has proven itself to be a reliable radio with programming and features that surpass most radios on the market for a fraction of the cost.

It does take more time to set up your first model but once you understand the logic of the radio it is a fairly easy process.

If you get a $200 Futaba radio it will do the job but spend that $200 on the Taranis and I am confident you will be happier with your decision in the long run.

If you plan more than 1 aircraft, the cost of receivers becomes a factor. FrSky receivers are about $30 and Futaba receivers are at least double (or triple ) that.

You also mentioned simulators - look at how each radio interfaces with the PC. The Taranis plugs in using a normal USB to Mini USB cable and is recognised directly as a joystick (no adapter needed).

This means it works with free simulators such as FMS and Picasim, plus the commercial sims.

Here is a mini review I did about the Taranis shortly after receiving it. To say I was impressed is an understatement.

Good luck whatever your choice.

Last edited by Rob2160; 12-08-2014 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Added info on Simulators.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:35 PM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

All work fine, all have plusses and minuses. All are dependable if set up right. You may want to look at all of the bind and fly stuff that is spektrum compatable. Even the most hardcore futaba guys have a dx6 hidden away to fly the bind and fly stuff from horizon. Also if the kids want to go helicopters, the bind and fly blade series will work with spektrum. They have the best marketing..and a decent ptoduct.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:59 AM
toolmaker7341

I have owned and flown Airtronics, Hitec, Spectrum. Taranis Exceed and Futaba. Unless your a computer wiz stay away from Taranis Little to no instructions but they are cheap. Futaba is expensive Hitec is reasonably priced but lacks channels and is ok but not the easiest in the programing dept.( I'm a turbine guy) Spectrum is the same(I suspect not as reliable as the others) Exceed can only be programed with a laptop and is real cheap.Airtronics the RDS8000 in my opinion is the best bang for your dollar under $200.00 and if you wait can be had with 2 receivers on sale. I use Hitec and Spectrum servos on flight surfaces and Tower Pro, Solar and EXI on other functions. My favorite is the Airtronics SD-10GS for my jets.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:27 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

The fact that all brands have been mentioned by guys having good success shows that no brand is really any more reliable then the next. If you think you may be interested in some of the Bind N Fly models then yes Spektrum is the way to go. I have owned a Spektrum DX7 and it was a very reliable radio but did lack some programmability. I replaced the DX7 with a Hitec Aurora 9 and am very happy with it. I have flown everything from electric foam, multi channel sailplanes, pylon and giant scale aerobatic airplanes with it and it has been rock reliable. The latest two software revisions and touch screen have made it super easy to program. The two times I have contacted the service department was when I needed to replace a TX switch and an RX antenna. Both times they sent out the parts promptly and free of charge. Additional receivers are very reasonably priced. The only drawback that I can see is that if you are going to join a club ( highly recommended ) and take advantage of their training program. They most likely have buddy box setups and you may want to base your decision on what equipment they have.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:17 AM
ma_mulcahy

I have started rolling out the Tactic 650 in my planes as my entre to the world of 2.4Ghz. I think it has a 20 model memory for $139. The 625 dual antenna receiver is less than $50 for a pair and you can mix and match servos until your heart is content. Add to that the Tower coupon code that will save you about 15% on your order, and you've got a pretty good thing going. Again, as a previous poster pointed out, there are a lot of good radios out there, it all depends on what meets your needs. With the complexity of today's radios, you really need to do some homework to make a decision. Godd luck, but above all, have fun!
Old 12-08-2014, 10:09 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

All of the big four, Hitec, JR, Futaba and Airtronics are super reliable. It simply becomes a matter of personal choice (the Ford/Chevy, Pepsi/Coke thing) as to which you prefer. However, you will probably be joining a club and you might ultimately make your decision based on the most prevalent radio being used at that club. Exchanging ideas as to programming, mixes, etc. between members who have been there, done that will be priceless to you. Buddy boxing as well could be very attractive to you as you are just getting back into flying.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:34 AM
mattnew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There is no wrong answer here. I fly all 4, they all have their plusses and minuses... instead of pointing you to a particular brand let me give you some ideas on things that have changed

1. 6 Channels is no longer 6 channels when it comes to 2.4Ghz radios. It used to be Aileron, Elevator, Throttle and Rudder meant you needed a 4 channel radio. You would y connector the ailerons together on a single channel for multiple servos and be done with it. Now with the higher current drawing servos and programmable radios that can control things like differential typically people use a servo per channel. So if you have 2 aileron servos the same plane needs a minimum of 5 channels. If you have flaps that is 2 more servos and you are up to 7 channels, if you are flying a larger plane you need 2 elevator servos and tada... an 8 channel radio barely handles all the connections you need.

It is not critical, you can certainly still connect things up the old fashioned way, although you lose some power of the new radios, but its something to keep in mind. In the 90's I never needed more than a 6 channel radio. I started back up again last year after an 8 year hiatus and now I can't do without less than an 8 channel for the same planes.

batteries: take the time to learn about batteries. Really learn. a 4.8V nicad for your receiver is really not realistic anymore with todays digital servos, and there are a bunch better alternatives out there. LiFe batteries are a great step up, safe, and will power your receiver and servos readily.... and most modern chargers ( not wall-wart ) can handle them. Lots of problems come from people using 4.8V and underestimating the servo draw of new digital servos.

nobody seems to range check anymore... everybody should... since there is no antenna to put up i think people forget about it....but learn how to range check with a 2.4 system just the same.

Good luck!
Old 12-08-2014, 10:55 AM
mu2driver
My Feedback: (15)

First off welcome back to the Hobby, glad you are bringing in your children! No doubt there are a lot of good choices out there, none are wrong choices really.

i just have one piece of advice for you, if I may, skimping on the "link" portion of your future hobby, will only in time hold you back from possibilities. I personally would "up" your budget a tad and get a 8+ channel, this will give you lots of growth for future projects.

i have most of the major brands and like others have said, all have positives and negatives. I personally choose horizon hobby just because of their customer service I have received.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

by the way where are you located?
Old 12-08-2014, 10:57 AM
Handfist
My Feedback: (1)

Hi, Watch out! Once you fly electric you will want to get back into nitro, 4 strokes then gas. I wished I had never got out of
the hobby after 35 years. My son was responsible for that, and tells everyone he has created a monster. LOL.
Anyhow, I've been back into the hobby since 2008 and enjoying it until I just get to old to fly. Enjoy RC with your son!
I know I do. Mike
Old 12-08-2014, 11:00 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
The fact that all brands have been mentioned by guys having good success shows that no brand is really any more reliable then the next. If you think you may be interested in some of the Bind N Fly models then yes Spektrum is the way to go. I have owned a Spektrum DX7 and it was a very reliable radio but did lack some programmability. I replaced the DX7 with a Hitec Aurora 9 and am very happy with it. I have flown everything from electric foam, multi channel sailplanes, pylon and giant scale aerobatic airplanes with it and it has been rock reliable. The latest two software revisions and touch screen have made it super easy to program. The two times I have contacted the service department was when I needed to replace a TX switch and an RX antenna. Both times they sent out the parts promptly and free of charge. Additional receivers are very reasonably priced. The only drawback that I can see is that if you are going to join a club ( highly recommended ) and take advantage of their training program. They most likely have buddy box setups and you may want to base your decision on what equipment they have.
Two software revisions?? I only knew about the one to upgrade for the minima, is there another??
Old 12-08-2014, 11:33 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rainyday101
Thanks Acerc. Nice price on that radio and sounds like they are dependable at your club.

I am also looking at these two:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXMV6&P=0
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXARLD&P=0

Both are Futaba.

What really shocked me after being gone from the hobby for 25 years is the lack of kit aircraft. To me building a plane is half the fun. There is nothing more rewarding than turning a box of balsa into a finished plane.
Judging from this post I will have to agree with the others in suggesting you find a way to go up on the number of channels. If your a builder kind of guy you will surpass 4-6 channels relatively quick. I would also like to mention kits may not be as prevalent at the local shops any longer but there are plenty still available online. Besides, once you get a few kits under your belt there is always plans building and there are plenty of plans. Consider all the options given, think about where your heading, and have a good time getting there.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:51 AM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Welcome back-The fever is alive and well. I stopped for awhile raising a family and everything else that goes with it. I got back into it and I had wish I bought more radio at the start-I quickly outgrew a entry level radio after coming back and wish I had spent a little more in the beginning and for more channels and features which would have kept from going out and buying another transmitter in a short time after I returned. Everyone has there preferences but I do not think you could go wrong with any Spektrum, Futaba or JR system-I enjoy flying and building and it definitely a fever for me and it is keeps growing
Old 12-08-2014, 12:38 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Gene, when I first bought my A9 it had software V1.07. I have upgraded to V1.08 and have been very happy with it and feel no need to go to V1.09 that I believe has been out for a while. One must update the TX, module and RX to matching versions for best results. All I have are Optima receivers so I'm not sure what is available for the others. As a side note, the A9 has not gotten the popularity I feel it deserves. As a result they can be found in the classifieds here and at other sites quite inexpensive. I have seen them for as little as 200.00 with 2 RX.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:40 PM
rkimmerle

Futaba is solid. That is all I have ever used. Started using 2.4 when they first came out and have had zero issues. Never lost a signal.

If you can afford it: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTTM1&P=7
Within your budget: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXARLD&P=7
Great buy for what you get and you will not outgrow it: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDWZD&P=7
Old 12-08-2014, 03:35 PM
handyman

get the 6I 2.4..........for its price it does it all,,,,,,,,,
Old 12-08-2014, 05:19 PM
rainyday101

Originally Posted by mu2driver
First off welcome back to the Hobby, glad you are bringing in your children! No doubt there are a lot of good choices out there, none are wrong choices really.

i just have one piece of advice for you, if I may, skimping on the "link" portion of your future hobby, will only in time hold you back from possibilities. I personally would "up" your budget a tad and get a 8+ channel, this will give you lots of growth for future projects.

i have most of the major brands and like others have said, all have positives and negatives. I personally choose horizon hobby just because of their customer service I have received.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

by the way where are you located?
Located just north of Green Bay, WI.

I like your avatar. In my earlier life I used to do avionics on Moo Two's.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:20 PM
ululi1970

In your price range, the Taranis is by far the best bet. The link is rock solid, 16 channels, can store virtually an unlimited number of models. The receivers are in the $25-$35 range, you get telemetry out of the box, which means that with very little or no investment you can get real time information on battery voltages, signal strength, etc., voice alarms, you name it. The all timers will tell you that you do not need that information, which is true, as it is true that people do not need ABS, airbags, GPS navigators,... in their cars, though when you need them they come in handy!

Yes, the documentation that comes with the radio is not much, but there is a TON of information online, and plenty of people out there that can help you with any question. Just check the threads on rcgroups. A very good place to start is http://open-txu.org/. Best of all, you can download the radio simulator that lets you simulate the radio on your computer, for free! It is like having the radio in your hands! You can download it here for Windows http://www.open-tx.org/2014/11/20/opentx-2.0.13/ There is also a Mac version.

It is true that for people that got used to the way Futaba, Spektrum or Aitrronics radio are programmed, switching to the Taranis requires a change in the way one thinks about the radio. In your case though you're coming with a blank slate.

Planes come and crash, radios stay, so it is important to make a good decision at the beginning.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:32 PM
rainyday101

First off, I greatly appreciate everybody's opinion. I realize this can be a ford/chevy thing, but I just need advice after being out soooooo long. Things have changed since the days of drooling over Tower Hobbies, Hobby Lobby, and Hobby Shack catalogs. Yes that's right, we actually use to send in checks, wait for the check to clear, and then wait for shipping. It took 2 weeks to get anything!

I am soaking up all the advice and researching radios, again. The thing is, with three boys, I will probably have to go less expensive because I will no doubt end up with three radios. Also because of 3 times the cost we will by mostly flying 42" and less electrics to start. Right now I am looking at a few planes to include the Herr Cloud Ranger, Mini Telemaster, and some Alien
craft. Also Mountain Hobbies. I have already downloaded and saved over 150 plans. Ace Whizard, Jr. Falcon, RCM 05 trainer, etc. I understand the need for more channels, but for now multiplying by 3 gets pricey so we are staying on lower cost side for now. By the time we are done I imagine the wife will be flying to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.