Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What type of aluminum?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What type of aluminum?

Old 12-11-2014, 05:41 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know I sure am, post away. This ole dog didn't learn too many trick's, make's learnin new one's easy.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:36 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by toolmaker7341

P.S. the last two pictures of the box machined, brake press bent and welded prior to the finish. Please Note: This is 6061-T6 material...

Mr. VP and Head Designer Please note the large radius on the bends "in your last 2 pictures" not the kinds of bends Acer needs for his project. Your just the kind of person who would never work for me in my company because you don't understand the project before you give your Expert advice
I guess you selectively missed the part that I stated 6061-0 would be the choice material if going with aluminum allowing for a very tight radii to be formed, also already stated in addition it can easily be heat treated to a harder condition after forming if needed. I only showed in those pictures that 6061-T6 is well suited for bending after your post (I don't know about using 6061-T6 in Texas but in the rest of the world It.s one of the easier machinable least bendable grades.)

Here is just a couple more pictures I took just this morning as I strolled through the shops of the least bendable grade of aluminum available on the market today, please note the material marking from the manufacturer.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	shroud 2.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	2054370   Click image for larger version

Name:	shroud 1.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	1.91 MB
ID:	2054371  

Last edited by sensei; 12-12-2014 at 04:13 AM.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:30 AM
jgracco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think anytime you have to state who you work for, what your position is, how many people in the company that you service and how many years you have done whatever it is that you do that you are clearly on a slippery slope
Old 12-12-2014, 05:16 AM
acerc

Originally Posted by jgracco
I think anytime you have to state who you work for, what your position is, how many people in the company that you service and how many years you have done whatever it is that you do that you are clearly on a slippery slope
So I guess you never get references, or give a resume, or check on anyone you look to have work done through?
I personally appreciate when someone cheerfully exhibits their abilities!
Old 12-12-2014, 05:34 AM
jgracco

Oh I have no issue with stating ones qualifications when asked or on a resume.. However, as soon as someone starts to get on a soap box about how long they have been doing something, I immediately interpret it as a weakness. So you have a VP for a dept in a small company for so many years. Big deal.., what does that have to do with what type of aluminum... I am curious who is right here.. not where they work.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:43 AM
toolmaker7341

He talked Down to me (Head Designer & VP of Operations) like he is the only one the planet that knows aluminum and gave partial bad advice. He has no idea who I am and what "my" company does. I apologize to everyone else because my "Button" is people who throw around their credentials to validate their knowledge. What works for their field of expertise doesn't always work for models.

Again I Apologize to everyone including Sensi
Old 12-12-2014, 05:59 AM
acerc

Oh I have no issue with stating ones qualifications when asked or on a resume.. However, as soon as someone starts to get on a soap box about how long they have been doing something, I immediately interpret it as a weakness. So you have a VP for a dept in a small company for so many years. Big deal.., what does that have to do with what type of aluminum... I am curious who is right here.. not where they work.
And that is your opinion same as he has his. I appreciate such information and use it as a tool for further investigation. No one's opinion is above or beyond another's. But personally attacking definitely turns anyone off to the attacker's opinion, of which you hade none to offer. And I would interpret that if you see a sign of weakness you attack, very manly of you.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:59 AM
acerc

He talked Down to me (Head Designer & VP of Operations) like he is the only one the planet that knows aluminum and gave partial bad advice. He has no idea who I am and what "my" company does. I apologize to everyone else because my "Button" is people who throw around their credentials to validate their knowledge. What works for their field of expertise doesn't always work for models.

Thank you Sir!
Old 12-12-2014, 07:52 AM
CRX Turbines

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am curious myself what to use as I cross this bridge a lot with aluminum.. does anyone know what type of material and where it can be gotten in small quantities? perhaps McMaster Carr?

Last edited by CRX Turbines; 12-12-2014 at 07:56 AM.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:58 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 173 Likes on 149 Posts

Holy bendable aluminum Batman........this has gotten out of hand. I have to agree with Robert here. I want to know what guys experience and credentials are when I ask for advise. How else are you going to know who has the experience to help you solve your issue? I think some people need to grow up, this is not a competition here. We are simply trying to help a fellow R/C buddy.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:31 AM
jgracco

You’re exactly right.. this is a forum, a public forum where the noisiest thread gets to the front page. This is not a question about a production run of aluminum where a person needs to validate a vendor's expertise and know how. We are talking about a 3 or 4 inch piece of aluminum.. Forgive me but I don’t need to know how many years anyone has under his belt to take advice about what material to use for a toy as much as I would not need or appreciate knowing his credentials to give me advice on what to carve a toilet handle out of..

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Holy bendable aluminum Batman........this has gotten out of hand. I have to agree with Robert here. I want to know what guys experience and credentials are when I ask for advise. How else are you going to know who has the experience to help you solve your issue? I think some people need to grow up, this is not a competition here. We are simply trying to help a fellow R/C buddy.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:48 AM
speedracerntrixie

Well, I have to disagree. Everywhere else in life we want to know the people doing work for us are qualified and the people we hire are qualified. Personally I wouldn't carve a toilet handle, I would buy one and I would not walk into the paint department to do so. IMO if you are offended by the fact that someone else has more experience and knowledge about a particular subject then you, then you are the one with the issue and not the other person.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:59 AM
jgracco

Oh I am dumber than a box of rocks where it comes to metallurgy. My analogy of a toilet handle was exactly that and where it comes to RCU, if you don't care for heat then don't post up here. I don't know who was offended here.. You have a guy working 40 years for a company as a worker and another guy who owns a very large outfit. I still don't know which of them is right but you are right I would trust the guy that owns his own company hands down..

Well, I have to disagree. Everywhere else in life we want to know the people doing work for us are qualified and the people we hire are qualified. Personally I wouldn't carve a toilet handle, I would buy one and I would not walk into the paint department to do so. IMO if you are offended by the fact that someone else has more experience and knowledge about a particular subject then you, then you are the one with the issue and not the other person.

Last edited by jgracco; 12-12-2014 at 09:03 AM.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:01 AM
jgracco

Old 12-12-2014, 09:31 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Instead of bend just buy a 600 lb block of 7075 and have it machined to the shape you want lol
Old 12-12-2014, 09:54 AM
speedracerntrixie

Well Jeff, that's pretty much what we do at work. Then again Mil spec stuff. Personally I just don't think that aluminum is the correct material here. It's a fairly small piece that will really only be accurate if it were stamped. I think a composite part is the way to go. I'm about 45 min into the project and will be wetting out come cloth in another 1/2 hour. It will take longer to trim the part then to tool up and lay it up.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:21 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes i know shawn just poking the fire lol
I tried some gear doors out of two layers of 6 ounce and one layer of carbon in the middle. i used west systems and it isnt a very stiff resin. What brand out there sets up harder than west I plan to make some props for the warbirds. plan on making a 9x16 and a 12x16.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:03 PM
speedracerntrixie

Jeff, there are several ways to gain stiffness. Most ambient cured epoxies will be a little on the rubbery side. There are some really good ambient cured epoxies out there like Hysol 9396 but are very spendy. The first step is to heat cure or post cure your parts. this will increase stiffness. The second step is through design and then layup schedule. For gear doors I would have gone with a core material. 1/32" balsa would have worked well. you make the balsa core a bit smaller then required then bag outside facing down on a flat surface or a surface that has the same u=curvature of the wing. The second your fiberglass ply orientation.if you were to do a layup that had the first layer with the weave running the length of the gear door ( This is called warp ) then the next one at 45 degrees, the next at 135 degrees and finally the last one at 90 degrees your part would come out stiffer and would not have a twist to it. The best thing you can do is heat cure at 120-140 degrees and have good ply orientation. Those two things will make a huge difference.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:13 PM
acerc

Usually I don't take much to picking sides but every once in a while something rubs me the wrong way. The way a few were jumped on in this thread just for posting their opinion was BS. As for the piece I am looking for, I generally know when I ask the question what I will be getting. This was no different, I knew the question would bring many different ideas and opinions that I could filter through and choose from. I will always lean toward the guy that has shown the most knowledge, whether it is with words, pictures, or a combination of both. In this case Sensi and Speedracer have always given sound advice and most often with references as to why and how. And as it stands both are making me a set of mounts, which I sincerely appreciate and have no doubt both will be of the utmost in quality. I just have to decide which to use on which Pitts.

Last edited by acerc; 12-12-2014 at 01:16 PM.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:42 PM
speedracerntrixie

Robert, your parts are done, PM an address and I will get them on the way.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	973.6 KB
ID:	2054423   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	859.1 KB
ID:	2054424  
Old 12-12-2014, 02:11 PM
acerc

You freakin kidding me? Those look fantastic!! Love your nails, lol. PM sent.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:41 PM
speedracerntrixie

Trixie stood in as a hand model LOL.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:52 PM
acerc

I didn't think they were yours, he he.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:56 PM
sensei

Oh I am dumber than a box of rocks where it comes to metallurgy. My analogy of a toilet handle was exactly that and where it comes to RCU, if you don't care for heat then don't post up here. I don't know who was offended here.. You have a guy working 40 years for a company as a worker and another guy who owns a very large outfit. I still don't know which of them is right but you are right I would trust the guy that owns his own company hands down..
Not that it is important, because it's not but I never stated that I worked 40 years for the same company as a worker, that is you making assumptions from what you read. I stated I have over 40 years experience in aerospace design development and manufacturing both in California and Texas and that I was currently the lead designer and VP of operations. I actually sold my aerospace company of 70 + employees in 2004, I then stayed on as a consultant for one year, and honored a non compete clause for one year beyond that. At the end of this I was solicited through a corporate relationship to join this company starting as the VP of Operations. This is the company I am currently with today developing product lines from another aerospace industry I came from.

I just noticed something, Toolmaker never stated in any of his postings that he owned a very large outfit, yet you are preaching it... You both are buddies from NY... WOW.

Bob

Last edited by sensei; 12-13-2014 at 06:34 PM.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:58 PM
sensei

Those look great speed, I also have an aluminum set I hope to send Robert next week.

Bob

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.