Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Futaba 6014HS receiver on unregulated 2 cell 7.4 lipo direct?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Futaba 6014HS receiver on unregulated 2 cell 7.4 lipo direct?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 12:08 PM
Valve floater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 6014HS receiver on unregulated 2 cell 7.4 lipo direct?

Even though the Futaba 6014HS max voltage says 6.0v I have read that flyers have used a 2 cell lipo with no problems. I want to run High voltage Savox servos for quicker response. Also using a IBEC for ignition battery elimination. Gonna run it straight from channel 3 for ignition. The plane is a 50cc edge 540 by pilot RC. DLE-55. I may just do a single 2 cell around 4000 size. Or can I plug 2- 2000 batteries directly into the receiver. Anyone has this setup here? Don`t want to use LIFe. Thanks for replies.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:24 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The manual has answered your question. The receiver is made for a max of 6v NiCd power which is 7.2v hot off the charger. RC equipment by and large doesn't seem to be very voltage sensitive, so sure, people have gotten away with it. But the receiver isn't rated for 2 cell Lipos and may be damaged by one. If you want to run HV servos, the smart move would be to buy a high voltage compatible receiver.

So why don't you want to run LiFe? I use an A123 pack on my 50cc plane and have tons of torque, fast charging, no fire hazard, and light weight. It's the perfect receiver battery for high performance applications IMO.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:03 PM
Valve floater

I am still thinking about LiFe. Don`t know yet. I was just looking at diff. options. I was told you get better and quicker response from the HV servos. Before I order my servos I need to know whether HV or not. Savox servos around $80 to $90 each. What 3d planes do you have? Thanks.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:10 AM
jester_s1

I have an Extra 300. I don't fly 3d with it though. You don't necessarily get faster response from HV servos. If you compare your options, you'll find there are servos that have say a 1.2 second transit time at 6v and a different HV one that has a 1.2 second transit time at 7.4v. So they'll be the same. The advantage of HV servos is that you don't pull as many amps to get the same power, which means you don't make as much heat and you don't use as much battery capacity all else being equal. And, of course, there is a limit to how much power can be made with 6v without going to a larger size servo and so HV is a way to get a bit more torque without adding any more weight or bulk.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:28 AM
Valve floater

Thanks Jester. Looks like without having to buy a HV receiver I have to go life. I want to keep the price down. Don`t want to have to buy another receiver.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:28 AM
jetmech05

Get a voltage regulator
Old 12-22-2014, 11:53 AM
Valve floater

Thanks all. Just ordered Savox servo`s and 2 2500 life batteries. Gonna keep it simple.
Old 12-26-2014, 01:14 PM
jester_s1

Simple is good. I'm a huge fan of LiFe batteries. After a few years of dealing with them, I'll tell you their one quirk. If you start noticing that the cells get out of balance every time you use the battery even though you are balance charging them every time, that's the only indicator you'll get that the pack is on the verge of failing. So watch your charger cell voltage from time to time just to keep an eye out for it. A pack in that condition will still load test pretty well and will still fly the plane just fine, but the dying cell will get worse until it hardly holds a charge at all.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:42 PM
Valve floater

Default Thanks

Yes, just got the 2500 LiFe batteries in. Got them from Value hobby. It has 2 receiver plugs and one deans on it. Also the balance lead. They look good. With 5000 total I should not have to worry about 7 to 8 flights a day. Gforce.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20141001_172518.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	3.65 MB
ID:	2057907