Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

White Gas

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 08:49 AM
bikerbc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White Gas

I have a buddy that says he is using white gas in his gas planes . The same stuff that you would use in a Colman stove or lantern . He said he likes it better than pump gas because if he takes his planes in the house they dont stink the house up and he dosen't get in trouble with his wife , I don't know what the octane is but he says his engines run better . I was wondering if anybody else is doing this and how do you like it . ? Is the mix ratio the same ? I have a few gassers and don't like the smell of gas in my shop .
Old 03-08-2015, 11:16 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

Yes, Coleman fuel is what we used to call white gas. It's gasoline without all the additives needed and regulated for cars, including the smell. Mix it the same.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:31 PM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Coleman fuel is not gasoline. It's naphtha. It does work well in model aircraft engines, and it has the advantage of not having ethanol in it, but you wouldn't want to try it in your car.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:10 PM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
White gas is a common name for two flammable substances.
  1. In its most common modern usage, "white gas" is used as a generic name for camp stove and lantern fuel, usually naphtha.
  2. White gasoline, also called white gas, can also be a name for pure petrol (gasoline), without additives. This was commonly used when leaded gasoline was the norm, to prevent fouling in situations where the properties of the lead additive were not required.
  3. "White gas" can also refer to un-dyed petrol (gasoline).
Old 03-08-2015, 02:45 PM
Top_Gunn

Yes, once upon a time, "white gas" referred to unleaded gasoline, as well as to stuff like Coleman fuel. That was a long time ago: as Wikipedia says, "when leaded gasoline was the norm.". Coleman fuel is not gasoline, and it will wreck your car's engine if you fill your tank with it. But it does work fine in model engines. The OP asked what Coleman fuel was, not for a list of all the possible meanings of "white gas."
Old 03-08-2015, 03:13 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think it's about 67 octane? It was discussed here on RCU some time ago. I have never seen anyone using it at any of the fields I have flown at but according to the thread here there are a lot of people using it just for the smell reason. I use gas but the main reason I I use gas is the price. I haven't bought any stove fuel in years but last time I saw it the price was a lot more then pump gas but still a lot lower then glow fuel. Be nice to see some one post the price.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:25 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

According to this
http://www.paddlinghq.com/how-stuff-...ping-fuel.html

White gas was used in small engines before it was used in Coleman lanterns. So its a perfect fir for our small gas engines.

But, yeah, according to this,
http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-5103A2.../dp/B003IMRG18

It is not cheap.

But further searching I did find its more around $13 a gallon, if you can find it in a local store and you will be hard pressed to find it online as shipping fuel is expensive.

http://www.ruralking.com/sporting-go...-5103a253.html

Cheaper than glow by a few dollars, sort of defeats the purpose of using a gas engine, but if you can find it, the lack of fumes from it is a good alternative. Having a sealed fuel system though it the proper way to go, no smell if sealed properly.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:44 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As a kid when the family was going camping my dad always went into a gas station and would just pull out the gas cans and buy the white gas. You are correct, it was used for a lot of small engines back in the 50s but the price was about the same as pump gas at that time. Things have sure changed. A lot of the KOA camp grounds still sell it from a bulk tank. My hunting partners wife managed the local KOA and she would pick up the cans of fuel left there by campers that didn't want to haul it away with them. RC pilots may be able to cut a deal with any of the local camp grounds if they ask real nice?? That could help cut the cost.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:09 AM
acdii

Thats a good idea. Have to look around and see if there are any around here that do that. Not because of the smell, but lack of Ethanol. Real gas can be had around here, but it is not cheap either.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:55 AM
Mr_Grump

If your worried about smell, use aviation gas, 100LL. I've been using it and synthetic oil for years with no side effects. It's not cheap but it has no unpleasant smell and if spilled, evaporates quickly with almost no residue. You won't need stabilizer either. I use it in all my 2 stroke engines.

Mr_G
Old 03-09-2015, 09:05 AM
sea157
My Feedback: (30)

This can not be used in glow fuel motors can it?
This can only be used in gas RC motors correct?
Old 03-09-2015, 09:18 AM
acdii

Correct, dont use it in a glow as it will eat the seals inthe carb and fuel lines, and could be a nasty surprise when you flip the prop. If you convert a glow to gas using CDI and a gas carb, then you can use it.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:19 AM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

White gas and or Coleman fuel is anywhere from 50 to 70 octane. It can be used in our planes as long as the engine is not a high compression engine . A friend has used it for years with relative success . On the zenoah engines it burned pistons and were unable to keep engine temps down even though there was adequate ducting and ignition timing had been reduced. On the DLE engines 55 and 30 there were issues with reliable tuning and a few fractured crankshafts (from detonation not crash). The successful part was that the fuel didnt stink uo his house or vehicles.
I finally convinced him to use 100ll avgas and all hish problems went away. There was no increase in power but the odor is low compared to regular gasoline and the engines now operate properly.
In short white gas will work but it can be problematic . If odor is a concern try 100LL avgas but be sure to retune after changine fuels.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:36 AM
CK1

Sorry about the errors in my post , it was sent via my smart phone by using my dumb fingers.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:38 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't get it. I store 4 gas planes in my basement and don't really have an issues with smell. I plug the vent line and always drain the tank befor I leave the field.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:01 PM
rcbasher
My Feedback: (9)

What about using to pre mix gas you can buy at lowes or Home Depot. Works great in my gas trimmer.I buy the contractor one
Old 03-09-2015, 04:32 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

I use ethanol free premium gas in all my small engines (actually in all cars, too). You engine may or may not put out more power with an increased octane rating, mainly depending on the compression ratio.
For my plane engines, I'd like to use AVGAS, but I am not convinced yet, there is a very high lead contend in this fuel ( despite the fact it's called low lead ), and I'd like to hear from some long time user if there is any problem with deposits or other concerns/

I think it's important to know that the ignition timing eventually has to be changed when using different gas types.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:08 PM
Top_Gunn

Where do you get ethanol-free gas for your car? I can't find any here (except the stuff in the hardware store for small engines, which is much too expensive for cars).
Old 03-09-2015, 05:12 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

Wisconsin still has it at the pump
Old 03-09-2015, 05:46 PM
koolhand51

Some of the country stores here in N.C has it!
Old 03-09-2015, 07:36 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

Originally Posted by bikerbc
I have a buddy that says he is using white gas in his gas planes . The same stuff that you would use in a Colman stove or lantern . He said he likes it better than pump gas because if he takes his planes in the house they dont stink the house up and he dosen't get in trouble with his wife , I don't know what the octane is but he says his engines run better . I was wondering if anybody else is doing this and how do you like it . ? Is the mix ratio the same ? I have a few gassers and don't like the smell of gas in my shop .

yes, there are several in my club who use this in their race 2 stroke gas motors!
works awesome and has no smell to it

I use it in my Baja 5B with a built 29cc motor with hi compression and revs to the moon !
I think it runs smoother and cooler
better throttle response to

it does not gum up like petroleum based pump gas does over time

this should not be used in 4 stroke motors though
Old 03-10-2015, 04:46 AM
Giant

a smart phone app called "prue gas" you can find a station near you that sells it. No ethonal and 90 octane about 40 cents higher than premium
Old 03-10-2015, 05:11 AM
CK1

Originally Posted by koolhand51
Some of the country stores here in N.C has it!
There is an old time gas station near me that sells ethanol free mid grade fuel at the pump and they still pump the gas for you too !!! Without charging extra for it.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:47 AM
em14

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Non- Ethanol Gasoline

We have a new "RaceWay" station here and it has great pumps which include a hose for "Non-Ethanol" on every pump.
Leo
Alachua, Fl. Near Gainesville, FL.

Last edited by em14; 03-10-2015 at 05:50 AM. Reason: OOPS Moment
Old 03-10-2015, 08:38 AM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've run white gas (Colman fuel) in my lawn mower in a pinch... BUT I would never run it as an alternate fuel for model engines... with its low octane rating (50-60 RON), you can get pre-ignition occurring, not something I would want to risk in an expressive model engine... its bad enough the crap we get here in California from our gas pumps, I wouldn't consider coleman fuel as an engine fuel for model, or automobile use... its just a cheap, clean burning heating fuel.

Good luck none the less.

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 03-10-2015 at 08:46 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.