Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Question on Kraft servo compatibility

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Question on Kraft servo compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 04:29 AM
scottad
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on Kraft servo compatibility

I am helping one of my late fathers friends with a 35 plus year old f-16 ducted fan glow airplanes. He has been asking to take this plane and fly it. I remember him flying this aircraft when I was a little kid. Here's the problem all of his transmitters are the old Single stick Kraft radios, I am very uncomfortable trying to fly this plane with this setup. I initially figured I would put my servos, rx in it and use my transmitter, turns out that is much easier said than done.
Does anybody know if the old Kraft servos are compatible with modern futaba systems? I know the servos would need to have plugs changed but have no idea if servos will work with futaba receiver's and cannot find information online about it. I would really like to get this old bird going so this gentleman could see it fly again. Any input would be appreciated
Thanks
Old 03-31-2015, 05:14 AM
ronwc
My Feedback: (404)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the Kraft servos are three wire (some older ones were 4), the plugs can be changed and will work, the centers may be slightly off. However, the Kraft servos were not very good and you would be much better off changing them out. Also the old glow DF were a pain, the newer EDF (electric) would be easier. I would be interested in buying any single stick radios if you want to sell.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:57 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 03-31-2015 at 07:06 AM.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:02 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Good morning Scott, this project is a potential major, did I say big bucket of worms. Most glow powered ducted fans were either just acceptable or well, dogs. Either way It will require a current and competent pilot. If you attempt this then its an exceedingly bad idea to try to fly a challenging airplane and at the same time learning an entirely new control format to you.

This airplane would be a fun and interesting challenge however if it was done right and that will require a complete change out of all electronics. Do not get me wrong. I love the vintage stuff too and still fly my forty five year old Orbit that I converted to 2.4 but your project is the wrong kind of airplane and using even the old servos that have been sitting for so long is for all the wrong reasons. The airplane probably deserves a complete refurbishment but don,t do shortchange that restoration,.

John

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 03-31-2015 at 07:05 AM.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:49 AM
scottad
My Feedback: (23)

Agreed!
Old 03-31-2015, 10:54 AM
Jennifer Curtis

35 year old servos. I'd be surprised
if there wasn't flaking and oxidation
of the surface in the pots, and
loss of polarization of electrolytic
capacitors. Possibly gumming of
the grease in the gears. Also black
wire rot if stored in humidity.

Jenny
Old 04-01-2015, 07:09 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Yep, trash all the electronics. They weren't that good when they were new, and they don't hold a candle to what's available now. I'd expect the engine to be ok once it's been degummed and a new glow plug installed.