Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Rc ignition kill switch setup

Old 05-11-2015, 02:15 AM
jadec241
My Feedback: (29)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Rc ignition kill switch setup

Am running a DLE20cc gas engine in a stick. Usually I run a 2000 Mah. battery to a on/off switch & then to the receiver for my servos & a 2000 Mah. battery to a on off switch for the ignition. I ordered a opti kill switch for my ignition. I would like to run a single 6 volt battery using the gear switch on my transmitter to kill the engine & also the battery to turn the servos on
& off. Directions will come with the kill switch but would appreciate it if someone could explain the setup.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:49 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A kill switch plugs into the gear channel (or any channel that you assign a switch) on your receiver.

For the ignition, you run from the battery, to a switch, to the kill switch to the ignition.

If you want to power the ignition from the receiver there's a way to do so but it requires a modification as outlined in the manual that comes with the kill switch.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:32 AM
jadec241

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks. the switch will be here in a few days.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:48 AM
BarracudaHockey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You're welcome to come hang for a day anytime if you have questions about gassers, a lot of us at Jax RC fly them, though I'll be leaving for Nall so this coming weekend is out.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:26 AM
jadec241

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks. we are in Flagler Co.(Rams) so I might take you up on the visit. I usually convert Homelites for my gassers but went out & bought a DLE20. A lot less weight & a lot more rpms.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:32 AM
BarracudaHockey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Richard can show you as well, but like I said, we hang out and fly every weekend and you're welcome any time.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:35 AM
jester_s1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

To be sure there won't be any interference, you'll need to use a BEC to power your ignition. In that setup, you will make a Y connection from the battery, one of which will plug in to your receiver switch, the other to the ignition switch. The ignition switch will then go to the BEC, then to the kill switch and then the ignition. There are two helpful things the BEC does for you: it provides steady voltage to the ignition to improve engine reliability, and it filters out any RF interference that is created by the ignition. Without it, any RF noise that is there will go straight to your receiver since there won't be any filtering between the receiver and the ignition circuit.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:10 PM
acerc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Tech-Aero IBEC and RcExcell IBEC can run directly from the Rx to the ignition. Some of us use a switch so it is off while we do ground checks and the such. But the switch is not needed, or anything else for that matter, for the IBEC to work properly. Some people don't use switch's at all, they remove the battery.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:10 PM
Tundrahog

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I use a Killer Bee on my gas boats. Zenoah modified 26cc and modified 29cc. Kills engine if your radio signal fails(glitch), low Rx battery(failure), or flip a switch on the Tx to kill the engine...

www.killerrc.com

Last edited by Tundrahog; 05-15-2015 at 07:10 PM.