Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Taxas Rc model question

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Taxas Rc model question

Old 07-13-2015, 06:05 PM
cotman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taxas Rc model question

Bought a L1 Bird Dog (98" WS) from Taxas RC. Mounting a 30cc DLE. The cowl that came with the model doesn't fit well using the 30cc engine. Has anyone built this model? If so your help will be appreciated.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:51 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

cotman, I also have the 98" L-19 bird Dog from Texas RC, however I have not assembled mine yet ! Not going to be much help am I ? I have purchased a Saito 150 four stroke glow engine for this bird. I did look at one, same plane as ours, at a warbird meet last summer that had a small gas engine in it and the owner if that one had cut a large amount of the lower cowl off to fit the gas engine in. Is that the area that doesn't fit? Over and above the engine fitment issue, are you aware that these 98" L-19's have had a few in flight fuselage failures. When I assemble mine I will do a few things to strengthen that area of the plane. I have seen an on line video that shows the failure in process. The plane was being flown straight and level in a normal scale fashion and the entire tail section, horz. and vert. stabs went into a severe flutter mode and within a second or two the entire rear section of the fuselage broke off just ahead of the L.E. of the horz. stab. The tail cone area of the fuselage with both stabs went one way and the rest of the plane went DOWN. It wasn't pretty. To mine I will add a functional Sullivan tail wire kit to try to stop any flutter before it starts. I also feel the need to do some internal frame reinforcements to the rear section of the fuselage before I install the stabs. I have not engineered just how I will do this yet but it will be done even if I have to strip some sheeting and covering in this area to beef it up. I don't think just the tail wires alone is enough. Tail wires are not scale "correct" for this plane but neither is an in flight "two piece fuselage"! I mention this to you so you can take action as you see fit before you fly it. They are really great looking Bird Dogs and worth doing a little extra work (OK, maybe a lot of extra work) to protect them. Do a little research on what I have said and do as you wish. I chose to not leave it to chance by doing nothing. I have the red and white version, how about you?

Last edited by 52larry52; 07-13-2015 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:48 AM
cotman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the red and white one also. I've been looking on line to find out more about this plane and can't seem to find much about it. Robert from Taxas RC seems to be a nice guy to talk to, but doesn't seem to be much help in the building or spelling out any problems with this plane. Keep me posted. Thanks
Old 07-14-2015, 01:40 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cotman, Go to the top of this page, in the blue line question box that says "type here", type in "Texas RC L-19" hit the search icon and it will take you to a page with 8 threads on it. The 5th one down will be titled "CY Models ARF Cesna L-19 Bird Dog" (yes Cessna is misspelled on it). Read all the posts, it's not very many. This same ARF is sold as a "CY" model in other areas of the world but it's the one Texas RC sells", hence the "CY" in the title. I can't remember if this is where I followed some of the posts and viewed the crash video or if it was found somewhere else.