Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Balancing Question

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Balancing Question

Old 08-06-2015, 09:06 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balancing Question

I have a 60 Sized GP Super Skybolt; when I check the balance per manual, the tail slowly dips slightly about 1 inch from level or preferred attitude; is this something that I should consider adding weight to the nose, at one point does one consider it a must to add weight, it seems to me that if the tail was to drop excessively and almost fall off the balancer than adding weight would be obvious, but if it slightly and slowly dips nose or tail is weight needed?

Thanks.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:33 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

OK so suppose you do nothing and now you have an airplane that is only a little off. So maybe that airplane goes through its life a little off and never seems to be all it could have been.

Consider this truism: When balancing an airplane on a conventional point balancer and the airplane is not level, forward or backwards You have now just balanced the airplane at some unknown point and not where you may carefully laid out from instructions. As it is now I suggest putting it on the balance device and move the airplane forward sufficiently to balance the airplane completely level, and measure this CG point now. You may be in for a surprise.

Always balance with the airplane level, never a scoosh down for mother and country. Do what you have to do either use ballast or move stuff. Move the battery forward, I know, I know bet its not all the way up to the engine mount/firewall or even forward in the cowling along side the engine. I have done many ships with batteries forward along side or above the engine and it has proven to be a very reliable and effective way to avoid ballast for airplane with a penchant for excessive tail heaviness.

John
Old 08-06-2015, 02:11 PM
jetmech05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will find that a tail heavy airplane is hard to control. The more tail heavy the worse the control will be.
ok so you add fuel to balance the airplane, as you burn off fuel you fly to an off balance condition.
now a nose heavy airplane is easier to fly, it won't want to slow down on approach, nor will it want to flair.
as you burn off fuel you burn to a balanced condition.
you may find you like a slightly off balance aircraft depending on how you fly.
the way I like to check CG is to balance the aircraft per the instructions. Then fly a bit then put the airplane in a 45 degree up line, full throttle, roll inverted and let go of the sticks. You want the airplane to continue at 45 degrees. If it climbs your tail heavy if it dives your nose heavy.
Balance the airplane to level and go fly adjust from there

Last edited by jetmech05; 08-06-2015 at 02:19 PM.