Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

anyone flown the Laser Arrow?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

anyone flown the Laser Arrow?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 05:20 AM
livinabox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: anyone flown the Laser Arrow?

Why do just engines state around 8 tank fulls to run it in then? hmmm!! on another thread iv found one chap said hed put 2 gallons thru his so jeesus. Its had 8 tanks now the last 3 with 5% nitro in it (seems to start so much easier) What i have noticed is that if you slowly increase the throttle itll just rev rich....but if you slam the throttle open it jumps on the pipe within a couple of seconds. Going back to the pipe at the rear in your piccys...how or where do you get fuel to it. I might get another kit and hava play so to speak.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:26 AM
âûñøåå îäíî

just 3 questions before i buy one, will and OS .40 work? does it glide at all if the engine dies? and how many props do you guys break?
Old 07-07-2004, 12:01 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

the LA glides well but it's draggy so not far, just a while.
if you set the prop at the right angle when the engines cut you don't break any.

turn the engine until you hit compression, put the prop on now at 8.10. when the engine cuts the wind pushes it round and when you touch theres nothing sticking down.

The GRRT is rear induction, a huge 13mm hole at the back.

they say 8 tanks coz they live in the old days. my way is to run in as it'll fly.
if you run it in rich and coughing it's cold, the liner forms it's cold shape and you run the engine into this. when you lean out and get in the air the liner is a different shape and wears out quicker.
what i do is a run or two on the deck to make sure it's a runner and wont quit, it's still a bit rich but not coughing and pick up is pretty much as per normal.
after a run ( on my west 50 this was a 15 second run! ) i put it up and fly it, if it's fast it's flown flat out, if a fun fly then it's treated a bit kinder, i lean out over the next few flights seeing how it's doing.
what your doing with running in is getting past that squeak at the top nothing more, do that in the air at the temperatures it'll be used at.

thats my theory anyway and a few other well known engine gurus, and if you think about it it makes sense, where as running an engine slobberingly rich doesn't. but then again, they use castor fuels which don't work as well and don't like heat ( which a new engine is likely to produce )
Old 07-07-2004, 05:28 PM
livinabox

In answer to â»±?ä*® question Mr Phillybaby is dead right i set my props just as and broke 1 in 2 years. My 2 new Arrows are quite different apart as one has an air brake ..yet to be tried as thas how it came. OS 40 will wizz it about if ya not used to speed and of course theres allways room for a pipe at a later date.

Who needs a jet with all that cost hassle n worry.......ahem please send correct winning numbers for this weekends lottory...

Did ya ask S/M about the weard size props Phill?
Old 07-07-2004, 05:53 PM
livinabox

While i think of it Phill .....Mr "John Greenfield" said just on monday to bung it in a plane and fly it just as you have. Thats fine by me and ill do that. Now heres the crunch.....iv never used castor before but the distructions say to do it, and to top that a mate who just happends to be a scientist and long time flyer rates castor very highly as its properties just get better the more it gets hotter and will not seize ya engine. This is also backed up by a chemist chapy who flys with us...hmmm!!! Having told Just engines of the responce on the pick up, they say yeah thas right "the mid range is poo" as to the size of the racing carb.

BTW Grrts are now much much cheaper <VBG>

Oh and that tank btw......where does it go ....sorry iv read ya message a few times but cant see a reply on the matter. OK ill put the beer down.

Regards STEVE ....BEDS area!!!
Old 07-08-2004, 12:12 PM
Cactus.

John?.... Alan, Weston recommend you run any engine in the air asap as it's the temp it will run at therefore the tolerances will be correct.

The MVVS racing engines on mid throttle arn't great, they are also made for 0-3% fuel tho i use Pro synth 10% and mines happy enough.

Castor fuel, yes great until things want power or get hot, Pro synth and Liquid Gold run 30 degrees hotter before the oils start to give up, but the engine also runs cooler so you never get there in the first place.
unlike other synths Weston fuels have two oils, one burns and takes the heat, the other lubes and gets all over the plane, i wipe my planes i have nice clean oil that i can put between my fingers and feels great, unlike caked on Castor.
also i can leave engines for ages and fire up first flick, i left a little 15 in a box for about 18 months, screwed it in, primed and flicked, first fire it went. try that with Castor fuels.

personally i see no benefit to going back to Castor and i never will, as for JE not standing by their warranty if you use a synth fuel ( strange as they use Liquid Gold for their engine stat figures, yep, more power ) if the engines they supply don't last if not using a gummy Castor fuel then the engines not worth a £r&p
Weston UK also have a list of engines that the manufactures recommend Pro synth and Liquid Gold, these includes the same engines JE supply but won't warranty.

i wish they would do proper tests and come out of the dark ages.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:12 PM
livinabox

Good reading i must say ......but as iv mentioned it does say "Yep we are old fashiond" in the instructions, that probably says it all. Itll go in a plane asap now as ya not the first to mention it. I had a SVEC Tuned pipe turn up today and does it look nice but the proofs in the eating so well see this weekend. When i put the irvine in a Rapier a couple of years ago, it had no where near enough pitch as ya could tell by the sound when it went in to a dive. But it ran it in very quick and is still silky smooth after being stuffed thru a tree and bonked in a "Wild card. Is there a way of getting 150 mph from a delta without breaking the bank i wonder?

What about the prop question ay ...did they have em or aint ya asked yet?

BTW GRRTs now 150 sovs with pipe ....<VVBG>

Ill keep flying Arrows for a long time till something else comes along at the same price and quality. Having looked at your stuff on dopler n such (bit beond me) even as an engineer, im quite interested in the set up and how ya go about it. Im also interested in making something faster n leaner with just enough wing section to cover the gear like servos n such like.....oh and pipe inside of course
Old 07-08-2004, 06:10 PM
Cactus.

cheap speed...
muts nuts delta ( we make em at our club ) and a Leo 37 SF, upto 165mph on the muffler, quicker on a pipe but i've not had speeds yet. the engines 50 quid, the plane about the same, less if you make your own. we used the same engines in our ATS Mayline Funfighters for the Sandown and Woodsprings displays, QUICK!!!!!

have a look at www.philsrcworld.fsnet.co.uk and goto my designs, i built a delta called DD, thin section with a fuz, that gives best drag figures for a delta platform i believe. why have a thick wing most of the way just so you can hide gear in the middle.. i was working on a double taper delta but never finished.

haven't asked, but 1 i don't know that company from 2 letters, and 2 the Magnums gearless at the mo.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:30 PM
livinabox

oh right then its Southern modelcraft..but if they aint got it then go to http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~atong/

as far as i know the APC range of props last time i looked was a bottom less pit.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:49 PM
livinabox

Ill have one of these deltas if ya got any to post (cash or whatever)....saw a "Leo" on aunty BUMFA today ....for 50 quid. Why is he selling it i wonder?

Never heard of em and what a weard size.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:28 PM
Cactus.

ahh but it just be a RPM version, it has a 8mm carb, the "sf" has 7.5 and the standard just 7 zzzzz

the sf is great in funflys.

i don't know about posting one.. i'll find out. there a kinda "in club" thing.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:33 PM
livinabox

Oh go on ...im 200 miles away ..and i fly with just 4 other fast flyers on saturday. Whoes gonna know
Old 07-09-2004, 12:41 PM
Cactus.

what i mean is theres no provision for posting them, even as kits.
if your that close come to the display at the end of the month, should find one there for sale, or maybe you'll see one on our club site www.rcflyers.net
i think built and covered it's about 70 or sommit.

just looked above and looks like i made no sense.. it has to be a RPM version to go fast.
Old 07-21-2004, 05:36 PM
livinabox

OK its about time i updated some info on here as to the new arrows i now own.
The yellow one has the old irvine 46 with penny whistle pipe and is fine. The
purple one with JETT 50 ..is an animal and cant handle the power of the engine
as it brickwalls when it hits flat out. And bare in mind i was using a normal graupner
10x7 ..cos thas what "Dub" said it was set up for. Plus i just wanted to get it up n let
it run in as it was flying. The damb thing was stupid kept the turns like it was going straight.
Hardly any noticable bleed off of speed . Sadly if its gonna do the dive every time it gets up to
speed then im looking elsewhere to put the Jett 50 in. They wont go in a magnum so i m stumped
again. Im now glad i only did a quick set up of the wing on top for exhaust mount as its still not covered
in that area ....piccys show ...but nice all the same ....It also has an airbrake ....ok lets hit the switch by
mistake going flat out
Old 07-21-2004, 05:41 PM
livinabox

ok second time piccys aint uploaded even though it says it has ...here goes
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72288.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	155954  
Old 07-21-2004, 05:44 PM
livinabox

ok now close up of that WICKED ENGINE!!!! and my shortcut to getting the thing airborn.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72062.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	155957  
Old 07-22-2004, 01:00 PM
Cactus.

who said a Magnum cant take the JETT?
Old 07-22-2004, 05:41 PM
livinabox

Cant remember , i just read it in a news group or the like in the last 2 weeks ..but ill offer it up now and see.
Nope a little cutting is fine and some dremel work if need be.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:48 PM
ALFYRC

HELLOW FRINDS.
CAN YOU GIVE MY OR SENDMY A PICTURE OR PLANE OF YOUR RAMP FOR THE DELTA?
Old 11-30-2004, 08:47 PM
livinabox

No ramps mate ...ya just let em go ..oh yes