Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Balancing Bi Planes

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Balancing Bi Planes

Old 08-19-2015, 04:19 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balancing Bi Planes

I have a GP Super Skybolt Bi Plane; the CG is measured from the underside of the upper wing; the manual states 4 5/8 Inches from the leading edge at the Fuselage sides; since the upper wing is not attached to the fuselage and the width of from there; would this be correct?
Old 08-19-2015, 05:03 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

It just means to measure the CG location at the middle of the wing, not at the tips since the Skybolt upper wing is swept back a bit. If you were to measure it at the middle or at the tips you would wind up tail heavy.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:09 AM
jester_s1

It just means to measure the CG location at the middle of the wing, not at the tips since the Skybolt upper wing is swept back a bit. If you were to measure it at the middle or at the tips you would wind up tail heavy.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:07 AM
dasintex

I re-read my post and I left out some info; the way I understand it, the CG is 4 5/8" from the leading edge measured at the fuselage; since the upper wing is not attached to the fuselage; the width of the fuselage at a point where the upper wing is mounted is 6", so as I understand it, I would measure 3" on both sides of the center of the upper wing and the CG would be measured from that point on the wing, would this be correct
Old 08-19-2015, 03:54 PM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

According to the manual, that is the way to do it although it is a bit strange. The kit version tells you to measure back at particular rib position outboard of the center rib so at least the ARF and kit seem to be consistent.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:19 PM
jester_s1

Yes, you should be fine doing it that way. FWIW,when in doubt about a CG position, it's smart to Google a CG calculator and figure it up yourself. That way you'll be able to set it from whatever point you want to and know you have it right.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:11 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-...clubhouse.html

Here's a long standing thread on the SkyBolts... There's alot of experience and info in there on the plane. Good luck.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:01 PM
pkoury
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jester_s1
Confusing, first you say to measure at the middle then you say measuring at the middle or the tips will wind up tail heavy.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:37 PM
jester_s1

Reading it again, I can see how that's confusing. What I meant in that last sentence was the middle of each wing side instead of the middle of the whole wing which is near the fuselage.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:39 AM
dasintex

I flew the plane, balancing must be correct, it flew without any issues; I balanced it per post #4.

Appreciate the replys!