Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

I need a new transmitter. Looking for opinions

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

I need a new transmitter. Looking for opinions

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 06:48 AM
Mikes145
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need a new transmitter. Looking for opinions

I've been using a Futaba T7C for the past few years with R617FS receivers. Last night I crashed my Redwing RC 30cc airplane when I lost all input while flying. I had this happen once before in about the same spot but I was lucky to regain control and land. I thought when it happened the first time, it was because I forgot to extend the stubby antenna. Last night, it was extended. I took the receiver out of the plane when I got home and tested it while walking down the street with a servo hooked up. I had my wife work the transmitter. The receiver started flashing red/green and then eventually turned red a couple houses away. I tried two different receivers and two different batteries with the same results which leads me to believe the transmitter is faulty.

If you were to buy a new 2.4 radio, at least 7 channel, what would you buy and why? I have three fasst receivers that may or may not be compatible with a new transmitter. I'm not set on Futaba. I looked at a Futaba 8JA but it requires new receivers but they're cheaper in the long run. I also looked at the Futaba 10JA.

I'm really not interested in sending my transmitter back to Hobbico to have it repaired, I don't trust it now. I'm not looking at crashing another plane.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:01 PM
mashp39
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought a Hitec Flash 7. I have always had Hitec and like them very much. Also Hitec has a promotion of two Free 7 channel receivers if you buy before Dec. 31. This is a great deal. Good luck! P.S. Hitec has SLT built in and your old receivers may work but I don't know.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:03 PM
mashp39

Check the Hitec site and check their promotions area.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:20 PM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been very happy with my Hitec A9.

Ken
Old 09-30-2015, 06:41 AM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Well I am a futaba fan for 30+ years, and have never had a a crash because of the radio (not saying it can't happen) its just me my crashes are for the most part dum thumbs or a brain fart, as Iam an old one.

So if I was going for a new radio, I would look at the Graupner, Hitec, Tactic, futaba we have these in our club a all of the guys like them, for me I would look close at the Graupner ease of programming, Having fiddled with all of them at my LHS.

Good luck on you quest

Cheers Bob T
Old 09-30-2015, 07:35 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

Why not send that transmitter back to Futaba for repair??
Old 09-30-2015, 08:57 AM
Mikes145

I sent the transmitter and two receivers to Hobby Services last night. I hear good things about them, I hope they find something wrong.
~[IMG][/IMG
Old 09-30-2015, 09:16 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you do start looking for a new radio, check the Taranis. More features then you can count. It it is gaining a good following. It is the top radio for me. I am looking at replacing (2) RD6000, (2) RDS8000, (1) 9x.

http://alofthobbies.com/frsky-tarani...avel-case.html

Buzz
Old 09-30-2015, 09:28 AM
jtsmash

Tactic TTX850 - Awesome radio, receivers are not expensive, rock solid link, easy to program.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:10 AM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by blvdbuzzard
If you do start looking for a new radio, check the Taranis. More features then you can count. It it is gaining a good following. It is the top radio for me. I am looking at replacing (2) RD6000, (2) RDS8000, (1) 9x.

http://alofthobbies.com/frsky-tarani...avel-case.html

Buzz

The FrSky Taranis is worth a SERIOUS look. You will not find a more capable radio at the price point of the Taranis. FrSky receivers are $20 to $30 plus just about every part in the transmitter is easily bought and replaced by the user, from the case, gimbals, screen, switches and circuit boards.

Plus with a Futaba module you can still use your existing Futaba receivers.

My flying buddy and I have been flying ours for 2 years now without a lick of trouble.

Whatever you buy, be sure it offers telemetry with real time voice announcements, game changing technology in my opinion. This feature has saved at least two of my planes over the past 2 years, in each case I was warned of a failing receiver battery while in flight and was given enough time to land safely.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:39 AM
oliveDrab

Originally Posted by kenh3497
I've been very happy with my Hitec A9.

Ken
I have also been very happy with my Hitec Aurora 9. I also have a Hitec Flash 7 which I'm happy with - has a simple and effective user interface imho. Have approximately 10 planes which use Hitec Optima 7 and Optima 9 receivers. Never had an issue with any Hitec xmtr or recvr.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:51 AM
castlebravo

Your FASST recievers are compatible with all of the new Futaba systems. I am running old 607 and 617 recievers on my 14MZ and I know they can be run with the new 14SJ and the 18MZ.
I also dont see why you're not sending your radio back to Hobby Services....you've already duplicated the issue so they should be able to duplicate it also......its the mystery, intermittant issues that only happen when you hold your arm in a certain direction that they have trouble isolating and fixing. Even if you dont use the radio again....it would make a good backup or buddy box.....just sayin.

CB
Old 09-30-2015, 12:30 PM
FSki

Originally Posted by castlebravo
Your FASST recievers are compatible with all of the new Futaba systems. I am running old 607 and 617 recievers on my 14MZ and I know they can be run with the new 14SJ and the 18MZ.
I also dont see why you're not sending your radio back to Hobby Services....you've already duplicated the issue so they should be able to duplicate it also......its the mystery, intermittant issues that only happen when you hold your arm in a certain direction that they have trouble isolating and fixing. Even if you dont use the radio again....it would make a good backup or buddy box.....just sayin.

CB
Only the 14sg and above, the new 8J and 10J use the FHSS and TFHSS rxs
Old 09-30-2015, 03:55 PM
rcmichael
My Feedback: (21)

Any radio can fail. I would stick with only 2 manufacturers. Futaba or Airtronics. Do your home work and avoid the others.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:19 PM
wnewbury

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sure like the telemetry on my inexpensive FrSky receivers. If the transmitter starts beeping, I move the transmitter to try to position the antenna for better reception. If it keeps beeping, I would land immediately. (That hasn't happened. Moving the TX has always stopped the beeping.) Bottom line is that knowing the quality of the reception is very worthwhile information. Could prevent a crash!
Old 09-30-2015, 05:03 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rcmichael
Any radio can fail. I would stick with only 2 manufacturers. Futaba or Airtronics. Do your home work and avoid the others.
Rcmichael-

Do you base this blanket statement on any factual data? Perhaps you could share with us why you feel so strongly.

To advise someone to avoid anything except the brands you happen to like is a bit short sighted. There might actually be other worthwhile systems on the market besides Futaba and Airtronics.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:08 PM
jmiles1941

I love my Futaba 14SG and it will use any 2.4 Futaba Rx , I have flown futaba since 1986 would not consider any other radio none at all !!!!
Old 10-01-2015, 03:23 AM
Tluu
My Feedback: (85)

Originally Posted by 049flyer
Rcmichael-

Do you base this blanket statement on any factual data? Perhaps you could share with us why you feel so strongly.

To advise someone to avoid anything except the brands you happen to like is a bit short sighted. There might actually be other worthwhile systems on the market besides Futaba and Airtronics.
+1
Old 10-01-2015, 03:40 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I'll recommend Graupner too. I fly Airtronics and have been very pleased with the SD-10G radio, but Graupner offers you so much for your money now. Airtronics is seriously lagging behind in radio development by not putting out any kind of telemetry system yet. I'm still not too sure about FRSky's products, but I do like the features of the Taranis for sure. A guy had one at the SPA match that beeped constantly at him for glitches, but he didn't have a problem with his plane. Another plus for Graupner is that if you fly electric and use their speed controllers, you get full telemetry built in. And Graupner has been around long enough with a good reputation that I'd trust their products to be good quality.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:46 AM
jefflangton
My Feedback: (23)

Mikes145, you think you're having problems now, wait until you use a cheap radio. Sure they work....for now. Never seen probs like that from futaba. Id send it in and see what they find. Maybe upgrade and keep the 7c for a back up or foamies or something. Youll be ahead in the long run. And yes I've seen turnigy,frysky,hitec and spektrum crash alot of planes this season
Old 10-01-2015, 05:18 AM
jmpups

Just my input. I have a Futaba 9c with the 2.4 module and 617 receiver. Been flying for 8 years with the same planes. A month ago I experienced exactly what you have described. Went through the entire system, changed servos and receivers, problem seemed intermittent. Didn't crash but didn't feel comfortable. I was loosing bind with the receiver. I found through a fellow flyer something really simple I did wrong. I shut off the transmitter before shutting the receiver. Doesn't break the bind all the time, but in this instant it did. I tried it with a different plane and the 3rd time it also lost its bind. I did send the radio to Futaba Services, they checked it out , found nothing wrong and I had it back in 2 weeks, Nice people to deal with and gives you piece of mind. I have been flying Futaba for 30 years and wouldn't change. There is too much cheap junk out there to risk crashing.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:10 AM
jetmech05

The 2.4 antenna extended? You mean not bent over?
radio waves do not come from the end of the antenna. Waves come from the side of the antenna. So if you "extend" the antenna, then point the antenna at your airplane in flight you're actually presenting the weakest part of the transmission to the aircraft.
Does that explain your crash no. I agree with sending in your equipment for a check.
Id also suggest you replace the on/off switch.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:22 AM
Mikes145

I did send the transmitter and two receivers to Hobby Services. The package arrived this morning. I'll update this posting when I get an answer from them. The antenna was not pointed to the side, more like forward at a 45 degree angle. I may still upgrade the transmitter if it's repaired. I would like to stay with Futaba if possible but I do like the warnings that other transmitters give when you have a signal or other problem. I don't think that Futaba has this feature. I only have failsafe on the throttle available with the 7C but other higher end Futaba transmitters have failsafe on more channels if I'm reading correct. At least my plane didn't nose dive in, it looks like it landed fairly flat, as the wings weren't damaged and the engine is in decent shape. Does anyone need wings for a 30cc Redwing MXSR?
Old 10-01-2015, 07:40 AM
planedriver_2

Everyone has their preference and opinion, as a long time Hitec owner and Pilot my only comment is please consider Hitec for your next system, price and service are second to none. Thanks for your Consideration ! Best of Luck with choosing your next transmitter and support products. Go to, www.hitecrcd.com
Old 10-01-2015, 08:37 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You summed it up but what about JR added to your list.
Originally Posted by rcmichael

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.