Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Koverall with Minwax Polycrylic

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Koverall with Minwax Polycrylic

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 02:05 PM
KEITH RUSH
My Feedback: (42)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Koverall with Minwax Polycrylic

I've read over many threads but haven't seen the question or answer to questions I have. I'm going to be stripping a 100cc MXS and I want to use Koverall. The process I'm thinking is :
1. Using Deft sanding sealer and sand
2. Lay the Koverall just like you would fiberglass cloth and a apply the Minwax Polycrylic just like you would epoxy. The wings and fuse do have open bays. I'm thinking you I would only apply the polycrylic to the cloth on the wood structure only leaving the open bay portion of the cloth untouched. Once it is cured then I would shrink the cloth. Once tight, I would then start applying polycrylic to the entire structure filling in the weave of the cloth.

I suppose I'm just not sure if you need to put anything down on the wood like the Sig Stix-it or can I just apply the poly straight on the cloth and get a good bond to the wood? Just as if you were using fiberglass cloth.

Thanks,

Keith
Old 11-16-2015, 08:56 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I just did a plane in Koveral using Stix It, but I did the control surfaces with polycrylic just to get a feel for that technique. With the poly, you seal your wood however you want to; a wet coat of polycryllic allowed to fully dry and then sanded works, as does a compatible sanding sealer or lacquer such as nitrate dope. I used a coat of poly because I had a big can and didn't plan to need it for anything else. When applying, you brush on a coat of poly and let it mostly dry. The sweet spot is to come back when it's sticky, but as long as the next coat can rewet it it'll be fine. You then lay the fabric over the mostly dry poly and brush on a new coat through it. The new coat will penetrate the old coat and the whole thing will bond together. The traditional method for Koverall of tacking down the edges and letting them dry then shrinking and gluing the rest becomes pretty time sensitive, so it's not the best glue for that method. The good news though is that Koverall will stretch a lot, so it really will only need to be shrunk over the open bays. For myself, I prefer the flexibility of using Stix It or dope since you can reactivate those adhesives as many times as you want to and work at your own pace.