Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

plane takes off and keeps going

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

plane takes off and keeps going

Old 01-10-2016, 08:07 AM
brakem often

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default plane takes off and keeps going

New to site. I bought two planes for my grandson for Christmas . A super cub rtf, charged the battery before using got up to about 50 feet and kept on going with no response from controls. grandson was very upset as this was the only thing he asked for Christmas, he was devastated. Later in the day I decided to go buy another this time a horizon super cub s , this plan flew awsum until It got to about 50 feet and it just took off and kept flying no response to controls at all. Has anyone ever heard of this happening? both planes had safe technology. thank you in advance for any input
Old 01-10-2016, 05:39 PM
jetmech05

Using a spektrum radio? What was the charge on the batteries?
Old 01-11-2016, 01:06 PM
brakem often

not sure what radio it was . didn't check charge in batteries as they were new
Old 01-11-2016, 02:25 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You should Always charge your batteries as they are seldom if ever fully charged when received (unless they are dry cells). Also make sure that the antenna(s) are oriented as instructed. If a bind plug was used, was it removed before flight after binding? Was a binding procedure required? Was throttle control checked prior to flight; i.e. could the motor be turned off and on at will? Did you do the recommended range check?
Old 01-12-2016, 07:02 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Rodney is right, sounds like low batterys....in the tx?
Old 01-12-2016, 10:31 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are we talking about one of these?
https://www.hobbyzone.com/rc-airplan.../HBZ8180B.html

and one of these?
http://www.horizonhobby.com/product/...sm-rtf-hbz7400

The only thing I can think of, is that a proper range check was not completed, and the aircraft flew out of range. Another possible culprit is a damaged antenna at the radio or aircraft.

Rafael
Old 01-13-2016, 07:22 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brakem often
New to site. I bought two planes for my grandson for Christmas . .............
There are a WHOLE LOT of things that could be wrong. Your best bet is to find an RC club and go there for help. You really don't have much chance finding out everything you need to know in one thread on a forum. And less chance the guidance given fits what happens to be wrong. A look is worth 10,000 words, and an experienced modeler will be able to look over your plane, RC equipment, and it's prep in a lot less time than you've already taken trying to write out what you want us to troubleshoot.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:39 PM
AwwNaww

Please also consider that these aircraft will sooner or later come down. You don't want to be held responsible for a car wreck or other disaster.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:19 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

That really sounds like a bad transmitter. It's standard practice to do a range test with anything new, which would have probably revealed your problem before losing the first plane. The good news is that Horizon has excellent customer service, and so it wouldn't surprise me if you call and explain the situation and ask politely but persistently if they replaced the whole original package for you. The second lost plane will then be a lesson fee. Regardless of what happens though, these planes do require some knowledge and skill to fly. I'm a huge fan of getting kids involved with them, but they aren't toys to just be handed over and expect everything to go well. Some training is in order before the next solo flight.