Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What size engine should I use?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What size engine should I use?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 08:19 AM
Jack_K

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What size engine should I use?

I have an old Ugly Stik that I bought from a guy who built it over ten years ago. It had been sitting in his son's barn since then. It had never flown even though it had all the servos, receiver, and battery installed.

I replaced the receiver with a new Spektrum and replaced the battery with a new NiMh. Everything is mounted about as far forward as possible.

The wing span is 60". I had intended to use an OS 46AX engine, but once I mounted the engine, as far forward as possible, the plane was very tail heavy (I set the CG at 3-3/4" from the LE as per instructions on the new Great Planes 40-size stik). I assume that plane is similar to mine.

The thing needed 12 ounces of lead in the nose to balance. That makes it weigh 8-1/4 pounds.

So, will the OS 46AX be strong enough to fly this thing?
Or, should I try my TSI 75 engine instead?

Jack

Last edited by Jack_K; 02-19-2016 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:00 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fit the bigger engine and remember when flying it that you have a throttle.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:15 AM
H5606

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Something doesn't add up - those airplanes normally need a light engine or equipment shifted aft to achieve proper CG. Was the nose shortened? If not, carefully inspect the tail of the airplane for something out of the ordinary or heavy; perhaps another flight pack battery is wedged in aft end of the fuselage. Based on wingspan, Great Planes manual for the Big Stik .40 shows CG range of 3.25 to 4.00 inches.

Last edited by H5606; 02-19-2016 at 09:19 AM.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:18 AM
Jack_K

Originally Posted by H5606
Something doesn't add up - those airplanes normally need a light engine or equipment shifted aft to achieve proper CG. Was the nose shortened? If not, carefully inspect the tail of the airplane for something out of the ordinary or heavy; perhaps another flight pack battery is wedged in aft end of the fuselage.
Yeah. I've been trying to figure out why it's so tail heavy.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:28 AM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Early Jensen Ugly Stick kits had a solid 5/16" stab. Later versions had a built up stab with 1/16" sheet top and bottom, and ribs in between. A gentle squeeze should reveal if you have the heavy stab.
Question: was it painted, or covered with film? It's possible that the builder "over did it" with glass, resin, and paint?
Old 02-19-2016, 09:38 AM
Jack_K

Originally Posted by GREG DOE
Early Jensen Ugly Stick kits had a solid 5/16" stab. Later versions had a built up stab with 1/16" sheet top and bottom, and ribs in between. A gentle squeeze should reveal if you have the heavy stab.
Question: was it painted, or covered with film? It's possible that the builder "over did it" with glass, resin, and paint?
It has the solid stab and is covered with Monokote.

I just measured the wing it's closer to 60 -61", not 58-1/2"

Last edited by Jack_K; 02-19-2016 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:41 AM
H5606

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Talking about unnecessary weight in the tail; just thought I'd include this experience from the past sort of like when one "can't see the forest for the trees". A new modeler showed up at the club field with a trainer he may have built and upon closer inspection, I discovered the balsa pushrods were wrapped at each end with heavy duty, solder because he didn't have any thread handy...

You could consider removing covering from tail surfaces, cutting lightening holes, recovering or removing and replacing with lighter built-up tail.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:22 AM
Jack_K

Originally Posted by H5606
Talking about unnecessary weight in the tail; just thought I'd include this experience from the past sort of like when one "can't see the forest for the trees". A new modeler showed up at the club field with a trainer he may have built and upon closer inspection, I discovered the balsa pushrods were wrapped at each end with heavy duty, solder because he didn't have any thread handy...

You could consider removing covering from tail surfaces, cutting lightening holes, recovering or removing and replacing with lighter built-up tail.
I doubt that it would shave 2 pounds. It should lighten the nose by a ratio of about 3:1 (10" from nose to GC, 30" from CG to center of stab). So, if I removes 3 ounces, I could remove 9 ounces of lead from the nose. Still way too heavy.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:35 PM
GREG DOE

I just checked the plans. A stock Kraft/Jensen Ugly Stick has a 60" wing span.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:44 PM
Jack_K

Where does it show the CG?
Old 02-19-2016, 03:15 PM
GREG DOE

The question of CG location has come up before. I believe it's been covered in the Kit Building Thread. About 4 5/8" back from the leading edge. That seems a little far back, for a 10" cord, which is the width of the basic wing. Adding the ailerons in to the cord makes that CG location more logical.
Old 02-19-2016, 05:04 PM
Jack_K

The question of CG location has come up before. I believe it's been covered in the Kit Building Thread. About 4 5/8" back from the leading edge. That seems a little far back, for a 10" cord, which is the width of the basic wing. Adding the ailerons in to the cord makes that CG location more logical.
Counting the ailerons, the chord of my wing is 13-3/4".
Old 02-19-2016, 07:34 PM
thepamster

My first Ugly Stick had a 60" wing span and was powered by a Webra .61. This was around the late 80s. Back then a 60" wing span generally meant .60 size airplane.
I would recommend a OS .65AX for your Ugly Stick.
Any pictures of this plane?
Old 02-19-2016, 08:30 PM
Pylonracr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No matter how you cut it, a 60" stick that weighs 8 pounds is a flying cinder block. Strip the covering off the plane and find a way to get it closer to 6 pounds ready to fly. You will have a vary enjoyable plane.

Scott
Old 02-19-2016, 09:17 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jack, With a 13 3/4" wing cord (MAC) the C/G range of 25%-33%, is 3.43"- 4.53". Right in the middle @ 29% is 3.98". This in not a 40 size G.P. Stick. The wingspan is not a factor in the C/G setting but the cord size IS. All in all you must have a stick intended for more engine than a 46. Go bigger and balance somewhere in the 29 or 30% of the MAC area.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:23 PM
GREG DOE

The Pamster. Was your Webra a Black Head, or the Webra Speed? Most of my dozen or so were flown with the Black Head. My first Ugly Stick was in the late 60's (silk and dope). I've had one almost continuously since then. Fly off land, water, and snow. Not any snow since I've been in Tennessee. The only Ugly Stick I ever flew that was close to 8 lb's was when I was carrying 37 oz. of fuel for a cross country flight. It flew, but was a little "doggy".
Old 02-20-2016, 07:37 AM
Jack_K

The Pamster. Was your Webra a Black Head, or the Webra Speed? Most of my dozen or so were flown with the Black Head. My first Ugly Stick was in the late 60's (silk and dope). I've had one almost continuously since then. Fly off land, water, and snow. Not any snow since I've been in Tennessee. The only Ugly Stick I ever flew that was close to 8 lb's was when I was carrying 37 oz. of fuel for a cross country flight. It flew, but was a little "doggy".
What part of TN are you in? I grew up in Humboldt, 83 miles NE of Memphis, and 17 miles from Jackson.

Jack
Old 02-20-2016, 10:14 AM
thepamster

Yeah it was a blackhead. 7-8 pounds, that's just what planes weighed back then, and you built them, and they didn't fall apart in one year either, because you built them, using glue.
What's an extra pound or two? Ballast, that's what. Lol.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:48 PM
GREG DOE

Jack, Smyrna, TN. About 25 miles south of Nashville down I 24 toward Chattanooga. We've been in Tennessee since 1977.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:54 PM
Jack_K

I've been in Texas since 1958. My wife was born here.
Old 03-13-2016, 01:43 PM
Jack_K

There's a solid bulkhead blocking sight into the rear of the fuselage. But, after closer inspection, it seems the entire fuselage is made of 1/4" extra hard balsa or perhaps even plywood. Tapping on the top, bottom, or sides sounds like good solid wood. That makes me think it's plywood.

The area of the fuselage where the wing opening is certainly looks and feels like plywood. It's been painted, but feels rough to the touch. That's why the plane is so heavy is my guess. So, I'd like to drill or cut some lightening holes in the rear portion of the fuselage. Maybe in the horizontal stab, too, since it's also solid and hard.

Anyone have any suggestions on how I can accomplish that?

Jack
Old 03-14-2016, 11:12 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As already suggested, drilling holes does pretty good. Of course, the sharper your bits the better. Brad point bits will probably be the type that cuts the cleanest holes the size you need. You'll really only need a couple of sizes.

Removing wood from your elevator is the top priority, with the stabilizer second.

Stripping the covering is the first step. Getting clean holes isn't a big deal unless you recover with transparent film. If it matters, roll up some sandpaper and make each hole perfect.

I'd hazard a guess no holes would be needed forward the wing TE if balance is the only goal.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:40 PM
Jack_K

Originally Posted by da Rock
As already suggested, drilling holes does pretty good. Of course, the sharper your bits the better. Brad point bits will probably be the type that cuts the cleanest holes the size you need. You'll really only need a couple of sizes.

Removing wood from your elevator is the top priority, with the stabilizer second.

Stripping the covering is the first step. Getting clean holes isn't a big deal unless you recover with transparent film. If it matters, roll up some sandpaper and make each hole perfect.

I'd hazard a guess no holes would be needed forward the wing TE if balance is the only goal.
I went ahead and cut some holes in the side --- 2'", 1-1/2", and 1" progressively. In the process I buggered up one of the control rods, so that's something else to fix.

I measured the horizontal stab and found it's 5/16" thick. The elevator is 1/4". I guess I now need to buy some 3/16" balsa, print out the plans, and get to work.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:55 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack_K
I went ahead and cut some holes in the side --- 2'", 1-1/2", and 1" progressively. In the process I buggered up one of the control rods, so that's something else to fix.

I measured the horizontal stab and found it's 5/16" thick. The elevator is 1/4". I guess I now need to buy some 3/16" balsa, print out the plans, and get to work.
Why not buy some 5/16 and 1/4? Or better yet, strip and drill?
Old 03-14-2016, 02:01 PM
Jack_K

Originally Posted by da Rock
Why not buy some 5/16 and 1/4? Or better yet, strip and drill?
The original plans that I found call for 3/16".