Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

receiver padding

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

receiver padding

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 06:10 PM
mashp39
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default receiver padding

Should a 2.4 receiver be wrapped in foam to protect it? Somewhere I read not to wrap 2.4 receivers as this will overheat them. What is your take on this?
Old 04-17-2016, 06:21 PM
nellsey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do not wrap or cover. Just velcro them is all I do

Last edited by nellsey; 04-17-2016 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:37 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Soft mounting them with velcro or foam tape is all that's needed.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:23 AM
ron ward

yup, I mount mine like this,,,,, receiver,.... Velcro to 1/4" or 1/2" piece of foam,.... Velcro foam and receiver as unit, to fuselage or bulkhead. some guys say that just one Velcro between rx and fuse is enough. I prefer to isolate with foam......might not be needed,....you can try it and let me know !.
I've also read that the foam from a typical mouse pad works good and is all the insulation you need, as well. seems a little too firm to me.
my latest installation was suspending the rx with a rubber band between the sides of the fuse, so it just floats in space,......I sort of like that method. it's easy to do, secure and really isolates the receiver without covering any of it and it takes advantage of the fuselage's height to put the rx wherever you want it.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:35 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Yes, 2.4 receivers are much more prone to heat damage than vibration damage. I like the idea of suspending it, but short of that, mounting it on foam seems to work fine.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:17 AM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote taken from the Futaba 14SG manual, so that's what I did with my R7008SB receivers... no signs of overheating, or even running hot.

14SG manual.pdf... Receiver Vibration and Waterproofing: The receiver contains precision electronic parts. Be sure to avoid vibration, shock, and temperature extremes. For protection, wrap the receiver in foam rubber or other vibration-absorbing materials. It is also a good idea to waterproof the receiver by placing it in a plastic bag and securing the open end of the bag with a rubber band before wrapping it with foam rubber. If you accidentally get moisture or fuel inside the receiver, you may experience intermittent operation or a crash. If in doubt, return the receiver to our service center for service.

John M
Old 04-18-2016, 11:59 AM
fly24-7

I've used velcro with mine. The hook n loop arrangement dampens the vibration well enough. I've never had a received go bad from this mounting method nor has one come loose. One note though, I've only used 7 channel or smaller. If you're using a larger receiver, you may want to consider a velcro strap (or wire tie) with a small foam pad underneath.

Last edited by fly24-7; 04-18-2016 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:33 PM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've always wrapped my RX's in foam. To date haven't had an issue with heat or vibration.

Ken
Old 04-18-2016, 04:53 PM
ron ward

Originally Posted by fly24-7
I've used velcro with mine. The hook n loop arrangement dampens the vibration well enough. I've never had a received go bad from this mounting method nor has one come loose. One note though, I've only used 7 channel or smaller. If you're using a larger receiver, you may want to consider a velcro strap (or wire tie) with a small foam pad underneath.
" Velcro",...is a brand name for the hook and loop fastening system.. it has become so synonymous with "hook and loop" that people just use "Vecro" to refer to any hook and loop fastening method..
Old 04-21-2016, 06:05 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Similar to Kleenex vs. Facial Tissue and Band Aid vs Bandage. I just bought a box of "Velcro brand" hook and loop at Lowes. The industrial grade variety hold very well.