Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Life battery

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 08:45 AM
egrave1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Life battery

On life battery's that have 2 connection what should I look out for if I use one for RX and the other one for my gas engine ignition
Old 04-19-2016, 11:18 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

You should make sure you have one plugged into the receiver and one into the ignition
Old 04-20-2016, 07:09 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

I would avoid using one battery for both ign. and Rx. At least if you loose ign. you can dead stick, you have no options with only one battery.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:14 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
One connector (on any Life or Lipo battery) is for balancing and the other connector goes to the receiver!
Old 04-20-2016, 07:30 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jaka
Hi!
One connector (on any Life or Lipo battery) is for balancing and the other connector goes to the receiver!
The LiFe batteries around here have a balance connector and two power connectors. He's probably asking about the power two.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:12 AM
BarracudaHockey

Originally Posted by Gizmo-RCU
I would avoid using one battery for both ign. and Rx. At least if you loose ign. you can dead stick, you have no options with only one battery.
Yes and 8 track tapes sound great

As for single battery I have hundreds of flights with this configuration in a number of gas planes and other than my own lack of skill I don't have any power/battery/radio related mishaps. Also keep in mind, I fly a lot more than the casual modeler and deal with a lot more new airframe installations per year than most, usually 2 or 3 new models a month with at least one of them being a large gasser.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:13 AM
BarracudaHockey

Originally Posted by Gizmo-RCU
As Rock says it depends on the battery
Old 04-20-2016, 09:57 AM
pkoury
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
You should make sure you have one plugged into the receiver and one into the ignition
Do you use an IEC?
Old 04-20-2016, 11:15 AM
raptureboy

I use 1 2500mah life with a optical kill switch inline to the ignition and the other lead goes to the receiver with separate switches so I can turn on the radio without also making the ignition hot . I have heard that if your ignition would short using just 1 battery that is would kill the battery pretty quickly and that would result in more than a dead stick. I run all my 20cc birds this way without any issues, but then I also rode around without the benefit of seat belts as a kid.You can also use the 2 leads to run parallel switches and then if a switch fails you would still have power to the receiver.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:16 AM
BarracudaHockey

It largely depends on what I'm working with and who's products I'm reviewing and the size.

For say a 50cc aerobatic plane like my Corvus, it has a single 2500mah A123 into a Spektrum receiver with a Tech Aero IBEC powering the ignition. If its a warbird and I need the weight up front, I'd go with a power safe receiver and 2 packs and an IBEC

However I have 30cc stuff with a single A123 pack with dual leads, one goes to a heavy duty switch then to the receiver, and the other lead to a switch and to the ignition.

My 33% Pawnee is setup with 2 A123's in a power safe receiver, one powers the receiver, the other powers the receiver with one lead and the ignition with the other.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:19 AM
BarracudaHockey

Originally Posted by raptureboy
I use 1 2500mah life with a optical kill switch inline to the ignition and the other lead goes to the receiver with separate switches so I can turn on the radio without also making the ignition hot . I have heard that if your ignition would short using just 1 battery that is would kill the battery pretty quickly and that would result in more than a dead stick. I run all my 20cc birds this way without any issues, but then I also rode around without the benefit of seat belts as a kid.You can also use the 2 leads to run parallel switches and then if a switch fails you would still have power to the receiver.
I really don't want to sound condescending when I say this, I say it with a smile

But I've heard that when you get abducted by aliens they show you their base in the shadow of Mars.

I've been to the alien base behind Mars as many times as I've had a gas ignition "short out" and drain an ignition pack.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:42 AM
raptureboy

No offense taken. But I would consider Steve Anthoney an expert in the subject of batteries. From his Q&A section on LiFe batteries. www.hangtimes.com "I won't use one and I don't recommend them. One of the more common failures on larger gas powered models is ignition modules.. when the module shorts out from vibration and heat the ignition battery pack goes dead a few moments later.. leaving the pilot with an engine out 'dead stick' landing. With an ignition battery eliminator, if the module shorts, more often than not the pilot is left without power for the Rx too. That's not a dead stick landing. That's a dead aircraft arrival, not a recoverable situation.In all commercial RPV's, military drones, etc, the telemetry system has its own power supply, as does the engine ignition system and the crafts Rx/Servo system. Separation and redundancy.. in larger models, much preferred over combining systems on one pac"

Old 04-20-2016, 11:58 AM
BarracudaHockey

He and I would have to agree to disagree. I've seen poorly mounted ignitions fail, I've seen well mounted ignitions fail. I've never ever seen or participated helping someone where an ignition shorted and took out the battery. Just my personal experience but I've been doing this a long time.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:11 PM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by da Rock
The LiFe batteries around here have a balance connector and two power connectors. He's probably asking about the power two.
The Duralite Sentinels have built in balancer electronics, so it would be good to know which type of A123 (internal or external) he owns...
Old 04-21-2016, 05:25 AM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you guys think about the new RCExl Optical switch version 2 that has a built-in BEC? You would use one battery to the receiver and the control signal from the receiver to the optical switch also provides the power to the ignition. I am not sure what the failure mode of the version 2 kill switch. If the electronics module happens to short out (however unlikely), does the BEC limit the current draw from the receiver?
Old 04-24-2016, 09:02 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

There needs to be some kind of isolation of the ignition circuit to prevent interference. That being the case, a single battery setup doesn't do much for you. You'll need a BEC and a larger capacity flight battery and with some ignitions a voltage regulator, so there is little to no cost savings. You can save a little bit of weight, but some of that will be taken up by the aforementioned requirements. What you lose is safety from ignition failures and the ability to locate the two batteries in the best locations to get your CG right. For my money, the dual battery setup is simpler and more resistant to trouble.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:34 PM
Stick 40

Originally Posted by egrave1
On life battery's that have 2 connection what should I look out for if I use one for RX and the other one for my gas engine ignition
I would have to ask what kind of connectors are they?

a Life battery should have a power out and a bal. connector, so are you saying there are three on the pack?

sticks
Old 04-29-2016, 07:46 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Yes, three....Like this: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
Old 04-29-2016, 10:00 PM
TFF

For high draw setups, some batteries have double switch connections for redundant switches and to supply the high current if demanded. JR has a radio switch that uses the Dean's connector and has two plugs to the receiver; kind of cool. Regular size planes only need one connection.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:29 PM
Stick 40

I looked at the site and the pic. I don't know the connectors shown but they look like power and could be used for
RX and engine.
The white is a Balance port and use it when you charge and use a charger for that battery.

As you were told it would be better to use two on the plane , if you can.

If your engine draws the one down, you can still dead stick.

I like my planes and use two when I can !

Last edited by Stick 40; 06-21-2016 at 05:47 PM. Reason: edit