Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Have you loved your trailer lately?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Have you loved your trailer lately?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 05:26 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Have you loved your trailer lately?

I had a 6w solar panel hooked to a deep cycle battery, and unknowingly killed the battery by overcharging it, which in turn fried the panel. So off I went and got a new panel, though this time a 15W with a battery tender that prevents over charging and under charging. I also installed a 120v outlet inside. In addition ran a 7 pin cable in place of the 4 pin so I now have 12v power feed from the truck, which will also give me the ability to add brakes at some point to the trailer if I ever wanted to. I think it even has a reverse feed for a back light.

I have a couple other things I want to do before the SIG flyin. I picked up some plywood and will make folding wing racks to hang off the walls so I have a more stable place to put them. Still need a tray to attach to the door to store the trailer parts such as the socket lock and foot for the jack so they arent sliding around while driving, and also need a spare tire mount.

I found a waterproof box for camping which works perfect for storing the AC power cord. Altogether the new panel and everything else cost me $167. Hoping the battery can be recovered, or will have to replace that with either an Optima Blue top or other AGM battery.

So what love have you done to yours?
Old 05-18-2016, 08:15 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm going to polish (wax) it tomorrow and add some new stickers. Oh, and I will double check the tire pressures. That's it.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:45 AM
acdii

Dont forget the bearings! Speaking of stickers, last year I put Passing Side and Suicide stickers on the ramp. Kind of dressed it up.

Still trying to figure out best way to mount the spare tire.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:41 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last summer I insulated the ceiling, this summer I am stripping the walls and insulating them. While the walls are bare I want to add more outlets, only have one now. My spare is mounted under the front in between the tongue mounts, not ideal but out of the way, similar to the truck spare. I currently have a window unit in the side door to keep it cool but picked up a roof unit and would like to install it as well. I like keeping it cool during the summers to extend the life of the batteries and electronics. Being cool also aids me in the dog days of summer at the field, simply walk in and cool off, walk out and go fly some more. I never knew what I was missing prior to having the trailer, would not do without it now. It is real nice not having to assemble airframes prior to flying, real nice.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:05 PM
acdii

I am finding my trailer is an evolving process. Been trying to figure out where to mount the spare, and other than inside the trailer, I can't find another place for it. Mine has a V front, so there isn't much room on the A frame to mount the tire without it hitting the truck during a tight turn. It also sits too low to mount it underneath. Guess I can always carry it in the truck bed like I did last year. I have a horse trailer that the spare came from and will see how it was mounted and see if I can duplicate it, it was stored in the front dressing room.

Got my deep cycle battery charger going to work on the battery, hopefully it can be recovered, otherwise will need to replace it.
Old 05-21-2016, 02:52 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Check your trailer coupler V frame and see if the tire fits front to back rather than across the front. Front to back will not interfere with turns. You can weld a bracket to hold the tire.

I had the same problem on a lowboy trailer. The V frame had an angle support from the V to the front rail so no front mount. I welded a side mount. I make a neat lock so the tire could not be easily stolen.

Dont know why second picture is turned around. But t seems to open normal orientation.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	16
Size:	304.0 KB
ID:	2163450   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	22
Size:	273.1 KB
ID:	2163451  
Old 05-22-2016, 07:15 AM
acdii

I placed the tire on the side rail approximate to where a mount would put it and its too close to the hitch. The V of mine comes out too far forward. Its too low to mount underneath too. Going out now to look at the mount in the horse trailer and see what I can do to make one like that.
Old 05-22-2016, 03:21 PM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I totally missed the V front part. That does make a difference. You might see if you can mount it high on the passenger side wall of the V front. Just high enough to clear the tow vehicle. There it will not interfere with turns, be out of the way and not too hard for retrieving. Inside the trailer it just takes up space and be in the way. Good luck with your solution.