Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Lateral balanceing

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Lateral balanceing

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lateral balanceing

I am finishing up a pheonix 540 edge and im not sure how to do the lateral balance. The makers of the arf model offset the engine mount to the right quite a bit. So the engine is no longet on the center line of the fuselodge. When i lateral balance the model do i still use a string around the front of the engine or do i find the center of the fuselodge in back of the motor and balance from there?
Old 08-30-2016, 09:08 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Prop shaft, it will be centered. Unless doing precision aerobatics ( not likely with a small Edge ) you won't gain much by doing a lateral balance. If the engine is side mounted, mount the RX battery opposite side of the fuse and go fly.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:22 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The balancing you do now is only useful to get it in the ballpark. The real test is flying. On a calm day, do 3 loops using nothing but elevator. You'll see pretty easily if your rudder is truly trimmed right and how good your lateral balance is.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:28 AM

Yea thats true. I just thought because the motor is off center now i should probably check the lateral balance also.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:09 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
I always balance my planes lateraly...by holding one finger up front and one at the rear.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:05 PM

You are the man jaka!
Old 09-01-2016, 11:20 AM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As Jester said, static balancing is just to get started. The true balancing is tested in the air.

Another method of testing for lateral balance in flight is after getting your CG to feel right, trim for long straight passes with no aileron input. Then make long straight passes while inverted. If it drops a wing, that side is heavy. So if it rolls right, the left side is heavier (it was inverted). Stick a chip of lead to the right wing tip and test again. It doesn't take much, just a very small chip at a time.

Dave