Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Wanting to upgrade from Hobbyzone Champ

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Wanting to upgrade from Hobbyzone Champ

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 09:03 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I think the Multiplex Fun Cub would be a good choice for a second plane. It is a lot more maneuverable than the micro Champ for sure, and faster as well. So I'd strongly suggest an instructor for your first couple of flights. But it's a smooth flying plane with no bad tendencies and is lightly loaded. Muitiplex makes a set of floats for it too which I've flown it with.
Old 10-10-2016, 12:43 PM
blindseal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so I really like the Multiplex. What are the flaps, should I get them, and what transmitter do you recommend? I'd like a 5 or 6 channel for future planes.
Old 10-10-2016, 01:24 PM
jester_s1

There's no need for flaps at this stage in your learning. You can add them later if you want to just by buying 2 more servos and hooking them up. Flaps are when the center half of each wing droops down. They lower your takeoff and landing speeds and act as air brakes. But there is a skill involved in using them, specifically managing the more sudden stall that they create and dealing with the pitch changes they cause. So it's best for beginners not to bother with them until later.

As for transmitters, pick a manufacturer and get whichever 6 channel radio they make. The Spektrum DX6 is pretty ubiquitous and will let you fly the various "bind and fly" planes that are on the market. It will also be easier to sell later if you upgrade or lose interest in the hobby. I wouldn't suggest the cheaper DX6i due to the cheap gimbals it has. I know you'll ask next what you can get that is cheaper than the DX6, and the answer to that is the Turnigy radios. The Turnigy 9x is available at the moment for $58. It's a piece of junk, but it works and should hold up for a couple of years if you take care of it.
Old 10-10-2016, 02:16 PM
blindseal

Originally Posted by jester_s1
There's no need for flaps at this stage in your learning. You can add them later if you want to just by buying 2 more servos and hooking them up. Flaps are when the center half of each wing droops down. They lower your takeoff and landing speeds and act as air brakes. But there is a skill involved in using them, specifically managing the more sudden stall that they create and dealing with the pitch changes they cause. So it's best for beginners not to bother with them until later.

As for transmitters, pick a manufacturer and get whichever 6 channel radio they make. The Spektrum DX6 is pretty ubiquitous and will let you fly the various "bind and fly" planes that are on the market. It will also be easier to sell later if you upgrade or lose interest in the hobby. I wouldn't suggest the cheaper DX6i due to the cheap gimbals it has. I know you'll ask next what you can get that is cheaper than the DX6, and the answer to that is the Turnigy radios. The Turnigy 9x is available at the moment for $58. It's a piece of junk, but it works and should hold up for a couple of years if you take care of it.
By a piece of junk, do you mean bad quality, won't hold up, or bad in general.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:45 PM
krokodyl

It's just bad quality. You should take a look at the soldering inside... The trims are going to fail sooner or later, the switches are not the best etc. I don't own one, but I have heard all of these things about them.

The spektrum dx6 is a great radio. Telemetry, voice, backlight, 250 model memory etc. It will last long, and is a good quality radio. You can also find a used dx8 or dx7s quite cheap these days, although the dx6 takes my vote. Take alook at receiver prices. They often trump the initiall cost of the transmitter.

And yes, don't mess with flaps until later. They help with make steep approaches and quick takeoffs.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:28 PM
jester_s1

Yes, all of the above, Blindseal. Turnigy stuff is built by the lowest bidder, probably in horrible working conditions by children. Quality control is non-existent, and all of the materials and components are the cheapest available. The drone crowd loves them along with FRsky and anything else that's cheap. So the Turnigy will break sooner than other radios do, however if you really want something cheap with the intention of replacing it in a year or two it's probably the best thing going. The tech ED teacher at the middle school where I work bought 10 of them last year. They all still work, but he knows that some 7th grader is going to smash one into bits eventually. He doesn't want to dumpster a $200 radio (not that he could have gotten the grant money for them anyway), so he bought junk that works surprisingly well until it breaks.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:18 AM
blindseal

I'll look around for a used DX of some sort. Should I get a BNF or stick to RTF. Also what's the power pack for the multiplex, or is that for a kit or something
Old 10-11-2016, 09:45 AM
krokodyl

The power pack is required i you buy the kit. If you buy the rtf version, you will only need a batery and charger, aswell as transmitter and receiver.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCEHY

Once you have a good radio, bnf makes more sense, as the radio is all you need.

A kit or ARF is where you need your radio, receiver, servos, motors etc.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:03 AM
jester_s1

Do understand though that this plane is a significant jump in performance from your current plane. You will be able to roll it to inverted if you hold aileron too long in a turn, it is possible to spin it or sideslip it, and it will fly faster and will therefore need more space than your current plane. It's a nice flyer for sure, but you are going from basically a toy to a real hobby grade model. The good news is in many ways it is easier to fly. Being bigger, it's easier to see and isn't affected as much by wind turbulence. You can crab it in a sidewind and make it stay in heading. You can use ailerons to level your wings and then tweak the rudder on landings and straight lines to put the plane where you want to. You can roll out of inverted positions and do maneuvers that aren't possible with 3 channel planes. I think you're going to love it, but it would be wise to get some help for your first flights.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:08 AM
blindseal

Ok thanks for all the recommendations! I can't wait to buy it. I'm going to wait till Christmas when I can get some money and look around for a used transmitter and a used Multiplex (or maybe new). Then in a year and a half (when I learn to drive) I'll buy the Dynam Grand Cruiser. And what is a PNP? What is it like flying with ailerons? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks again for all the help and recommendations.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:19 AM
krokodyl

Pnp is when you need your transmitter and receiver.

Bnf is when you need your transmitter.

Rtf is when you don't need anything (other tgan maybe a batt and charger)

Ailerons are going to be different than the rudder. As mentioned, you can overdue it, and go inverted. Make sure to only use a little bit of ailerons and elevator. It will be easier to correct the plane when you need to though.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:16 PM
jester_s1

The best thing you can do if you are going to go it alone is get a simulator. They aren't perfect, but they are definitely helpful. If money is tight, download the clearview simulator for free and buy a transmitter cable for $10 to use with it. That lets you get some practice in on different types of models and set up wind conditions that you normally would be too nervous to fly in.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:56 AM
blindseal

Ok. Like I said it will be after to Christmas before I get anything.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:44 PM
jester_s1

The simulator is only $10. It would be worthwhile to start working on it now in anticipation for a better performing plane.
Old 10-12-2016, 02:07 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by blindseal
Hello! I am looking to upgrade from the hobbyzone champ. I've found two that I like, but I need recommendations on things like receivers and transmitters. I would like retracts and aireloins, and twin engines, unless that's a bad idea. Here are the two I like:
http://www.nitroplanes.com/05a78-b-6...-blue-arf.html
and
http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy893...-eretract.html
As far as transmitters go, I would highly recommend the Tactic 850. It is by far the best buy for your money right now. It is very reliable and receiver costs are very low. For 99% of us, we will never use more than 8 channels, it is easy to program, very versitile and has wireless buddy box with any other Tactic Radio. There are several other Tactic transmitters at a lower price but the added features of the TX850 over the others make the slight difference in price well worth it. I rarely use more than six channels and th6 channmel receivers are very inexpensive. I have Hitec, Spectrum Dx6 and Dx5, Futaba and Airtronics and find the TX850 as good or better than all of them.

Dx5, Futaba and Aitronics and the Tactic is
Old 10-12-2016, 02:25 PM
blindseal

Do I have to have a transmitter? ID buy the Sim but I dont want to buy a transmitter right now
Old 10-12-2016, 04:39 PM
krokodyl

Well, no you don't HAVE to have a transmitter, but if you don't then the sim is a waste of money. Whatever transmitter you have now will work with it if it hass a buddy box option, which nearly all of them do. All you need is a cord.
Old 10-13-2016, 03:59 AM
blindseal

I only have the stock champ transmitter so I doubt it will work
Old 10-13-2016, 05:13 AM
krokodyl

It should. Look on the back of it, and see if here is a little round port. I think that comes with a spektrum radio, so it should have a 3.5 mm headphone jack. That is where the simulator cord goes.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:37 AM
jester_s1

I thought you already had a transmitter. This will get you going for $15. Just check that your computer has the video performance for the Clearview simulator. If it's less than 5 years old, it probably does.

https://www.amazon.com/Flight-Simula...ywords=usb+fms
Old 10-13-2016, 10:01 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I am pretty darn sure, that the Hobbyzone Cub Tx has no provision for a buddy cord. One other option would be for you to visit your local club, lots of us have selves full of old obsolete Txs that are not antique or collectable. Some I have just trashed and often have just given them to new folks that needed a buddy box. Free is about as cheap as you are gonna get.

Short of doing that the new one above listed by Jester is about the cheapest you are likely to find.

John
Old 10-13-2016, 03:47 PM
blindseal

Ok ill try my transmitter first then see what happens
Old 10-14-2016, 03:46 AM
jester_s1

I have a really old Futaba I'd send you for the cost of shipping, but it would actually be cheaper for you to buy the ready made controller I gave you the link to. Rake a few leaves and save your nickels. You'll get there.
Old 10-14-2016, 04:02 AM
blindseal

Will that transmitter (for the simulator) work with an actual plane? If not your would your futaba
Old 10-14-2016, 01:35 PM
jester_s1

No, that $15 solution is only a joystick shaped like a transmitter. It doesn't have the RF unit to make it a radio controller. My futaba would, but it's 72mhz and 30 years old. It would cost you more to have me ship it to you and then get an adapter cord than it would for you to buy the controller I showed you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.