Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Good but cheaper CA glues????

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Good but cheaper CA glues????

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 05:51 AM
flygilmore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good but cheaper CA glues????

Anyone using any of the off brand CA glues? My local shop has the Bob Smith and Jet brands but when you build as much as I do, it gets kinda pricey after a certain point. Just wondering if there are CA's out there that you guys have had good success with that are cheaper than the "name brands".

Thanks!!
Old 11-16-2016, 06:34 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I Don't know but sort of one of the last things I would consider cheaping out on!

Dennis
Old 11-16-2016, 11:57 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I really like the Great Planes glue from Tower. I actually prefer their thin to Bob Smith.

david

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXK283&P=7
Old 11-16-2016, 04:48 PM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've used the Hobby Lobby (craft store) house brand with "good" results. I use very little CA so maybe I'm not qualified to answer. Use their 40% off coupon. If you have a smart phone they have an app for it.

Ken
Old 11-16-2016, 06:46 PM
JCOKEEFE
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Balsa USA Gold. Not cheap, but very good CA.
Old 11-16-2016, 08:37 PM
Pylonracr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am kind of the opposite. I buy the best CA and the best laminating resin I can get. A few dollars in glue is not an issue to me when I factor in the price of a failure.

Scott
Old 11-16-2016, 09:28 PM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

I Always thought bob smith was an off brand.... Get some balsa usa and compare...busa and zap are the premiums in my opinion and ae worth it...
Old 11-17-2016, 03:49 AM
TomCrump

Tower has good pricing on multiples. It's a good way to save $$$ without cheaping out. If played right, you can get free shipping, too.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:48 AM
GSXR1000
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kenh3497
I've used the Hobby Lobby (craft store) house brand with "good" results. I use very little CA so maybe I'm not qualified to answer. Use their 40% off coupon. If you have a smart phone they have an app for it.

Ken
I have used their ca glue's, they come in the the 3 main weights, thin, medium, thick. I haven't use them for a full build, but for repairs and adding bracing, reinforcing; yeah.
Old 11-17-2016, 06:36 AM
RACE 66

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Two thumbs up on Balsa USA Gold ! Very happy with their product. Word of mouth best advertising and no I
I am not associated with Balsa USA, only my check book !

Remember, we build and modify and repair aircraft that can harm you or something if things are not engineered, assembled and flown properly. My two cents !
Old 11-17-2016, 08:54 AM
flygilmore

Ok, guess I'll stick with Bob Smith. I'm stocked up for a while anyway.....just curious if anyone was using other brands.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:43 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I guess I will be the first. I have been using Hobby King Ca for as long as it has been available. I build 3 or 4 balsa kits a year and many of them are giant scale. I have never had or seen a failure of any Ca glue joint where the correct consistency of Ca was used, even in a crash. (Using thin Ca on a porous surface is a recipe for disaster.)

The Hobby King Ca will not stay fresh as long in the refrig as the US brands, and it sometimes takes longer to set up (which is an advantage if you need time to align the parts) but my worst glue joints are still better than the wood around them.

Hobby King Ca is available in the usual three consistencies and costs a little over $1 per ounce.

Last edited by jrf; 11-27-2016 at 11:37 AM.
Old 11-17-2016, 01:53 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've never seen this before! Not only has it started to break apart, but on some of those 'bumps' it leaks!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6333.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	560.7 KB
ID:	2190304  
Old 11-17-2016, 02:51 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

I have had really good luck with themudduck on Ebay. He has a really good selection of many kinds of adhesives, ships promptly and has never got an order wrong. Not the cheapest, but not the highest either.
Old 11-17-2016, 03:25 PM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by tailskid
I've never seen this before! Not only has it started to break apart, but on some of those 'bumps' it leaks!!!
That's just plain weird !
Old 11-25-2016, 12:49 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I usually stock up on BSI at swap meets this time of year. If I can get the 8 ounce bottles, I use those to refill the smaller ones and keep them in my mini fridge. BSI is a leader in the CA and Epoxy market, they sell wholesale and put the sellers name on their labels. I have not had a problem with any of their products, especially the epoxy, when they say 30 minute, they mean 30 minute, not 30 minute till you can't use it, but 30 minute to cured.

I have been using some of the Hobby Lobby stuff and it is 20 minutes stuff, so 20 minute working time, but 8+ hours setup time. After an hour it is still soft and tacky and if you need to clamp for any reason, don't take the clamps off for at least 8 hours or the part will separate. This is something I never had to worry about with BSI epoxy, you get 30 minute working time, and within 45 minutes it is set up and can be unclamped, and within 2 hours is hard.

I have used the SIG medium CA and found it takes quite some time to setup as well compared to the BSI glue. It can have an advantage at times, but can be quite frustrating when you are expecting the parts to be stuck, and when you release them, they come apart unexpectedly. Something to be wary of when getting other brand glues when you have worked with one brand in particular.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:39 AM
Kinish

pardon my ignorance but what's wrong with Loctite professional from home depot?
the last time i bought Jet or tower hobbies was back in the 80's, i've been in neutral for awhile
Old 11-26-2016, 12:05 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Consider the cost per ounce, they usually have tiny tubes of CA, and cost almost as much as the larger bottles. Their epoxy though is just as good, but again, the cost per ounce is usually higher due to the smaller sizes sold.
Old 11-26-2016, 02:09 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
I usually stock up on BSI at swap meets this time of year. If I can get the 8 ounce bottles, I use those to refill the smaller ones and keep them in my mini fridge. BSI is a leader in the CA and Epoxy market, they sell wholesale and put the sellers name on their labels. I have not had a problem with any of their products, especially the epoxy, when they say 30 minute, they mean 30 minute, not 30 minute till you can't use it, but 30 minute to cured.

I have been using some of the Hobby Lobby stuff and it is 20 minutes stuff, so 20 minute working time, but 8+ hours setup time. After an hour it is still soft and tacky and if you need to clamp for any reason, don't take the clamps off for at least 8 hours or the part will separate. This is something I never had to worry about with BSI epoxy, you get 30 minute working time, and within 45 minutes it is set up and can be unclamped, and within 2 hours is hard.

I have used the SIG medium CA and found it takes quite some time to setup as well compared to the BSI glue. It can have an advantage at times, but can be quite frustrating when you are expecting the parts to be stuck, and when you release them, they come apart unexpectedly. Something to be wary of when getting other brand glues when you have worked with one brand in particular.
One thing that almost everyone thinks is when epoxy gets hard, it's cured. That is not the case, Epoxy takes AT LEAST 24 hours to cure, regardless of how fast it gets hard. I've seen hardened epoxy let go after unclamping due to the fact it wasn't cured so, IF THERE IS ANY STRESS ON AN EPOXY JOINT, LEAVE THE CLAMPS ON FOR AT LEAST 24 HOURS
Old 11-26-2016, 06:33 PM
Pylonracr

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
One thing that almost everyone thinks is when epoxy gets hard, it's cured. That is not the case, Epoxy takes AT LEAST 24 hours to cure, regardless of how fast it gets hard. I've seen hardened epoxy let go after unclamping due to the fact it wasn't cured so, IF THERE IS ANY STRESS ON AN EPOXY JOINT, LEAVE THE CLAMPS ON FOR AT LEAST 24 HOURS

With the emphasis on AT LEAST. I do not use any hobby shop minute epoxy due to quality. I use laminating resin, and thicken when necessary. I typically leave components in the vacuum bag for 2 to 3 days for complete initial cure.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:14 AM
Hydro Junkie

I don't use hobby shop types either. I use strictly West Systems and, right in the literature, it says a full cure takes 24 hours, depending on conditions. Temperature and humidity both affect the final cure time so if I have any doubts, it stays clamped
Old 11-27-2016, 04:54 PM
TomCrump

I thought this thread was about CA.
Old 11-27-2016, 08:51 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pretty sticky subject......
Old 11-28-2016, 03:57 PM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by TomCrump
I thought this thread was about CA.
It started out that way, then post 16 came along and, well, you know how these threads can start to wonder around.
Now, getting back to CA, CA is, in many ways like other adhesives. You need to hold/clamp whatever is being assembled together for longer than the advertised set up time if you want the glue to hold. This rings true for pretty much all CAs, epoxies and wood glues. I don't believe there is a true "instant bonding" CA, just very quick ones