Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Seems like JR is done

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Seems like JR is done

Old 12-29-2016, 02:04 PM
David Bathe

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Wouldn't surprise me at all. There is a history of Ludditism in the RC community. Radio wise, the big brands forward-looking innovation-strategies where totally eclipsed by Spectrum years ago. Incredible how that brand is still frowned upon in certain communities, pattern for example. Since then, the drone & quad communities have completely reinvented what the 21st century RC set needs to deliver. Any takers in the other sectors? Basically non...only a head in the sand attitude to the technology and a smirk when one suggests they should check them out because they WAYYYY better the the pro futaba/jr set I've owned.

I year back I posted a quick report about the Spectrum AS3X multi gyro axis receiver in the Pattern community. The receiver technology is usually used in tiny micro foamies, softening out turbulence and making the light weight aircraft have a far greater feeling of mass. Quite extraordinary in fact. I slotted one into a small 1m Pattern aircraft and was shocked by 1: how much bigger the aircraft felt in the sky, it was just like adding physical scale and kg's to the model and 2: How the onboard mixing generated by the receiver was simply stunning, making the necessity for 100s of trimming flights a thing of the past and 3: how the graphic interface between the iPhone and the aircraft for setting up every possible variable was superb! Better by miles than anything thought up by Futaba or JR. The response back from the pattern community was post after post of ridicule, laughter, insults all based on one fact, gyros aren't allowed in competition. Of course I knew this and stated the same in the opening paragraph but urged the community to see what is happening in tech-land... the writing was on the wall in my humble opinion. Not F'in' interested was the reply. Pathetic.
And it isn't just radios;-)

IMO, Futaba, JR and Co, have far to complacent, way to cocky and delivered far too little, far too late.
Why use 20th century technology and mindset in the 21century?
Lucky for them, they still have a miniscule following of Luddites... so they'll be able to sell a couple of sets over the next year.

Last edited by David Bathe; 12-29-2016 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:40 PM
Dealspeed
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by airraptor
Jetmech have you ever had an economic class lol?
The model airplane hobby market is down big time and going down. horizon is not selling what they used to also. Us old guys that have been flying for a long are not getting replaced, new people to RC are flying multi-copters and those of old guys sticking around are buying stuff from china.
I just don't understand the drone and quad phase, I've flown them and messed around with them and find them flat out boring, I also don't care much for all the electric planes, everything every review weather by magazine or a website, they always use electric motors in there reviews, never glow, sometimes gas power but not often, electric puts me to sleep, and I'm tired of the hobby industry trying to shove it down are throats!
Im not bashing those that like electrics better, doesn't bother me at all, it all just reminds me of the motocross industry back in 2002 when the bike manufacturers started forcing four stroke race bikes on us racers, it hurt the racing scene for the amature riders, the four strokes were just so exspensive to buy and maintain, a lot of us couldn't keep racing competitively because we couldn't afford it any longer.

All that was done so the manufacturers could have larger profit margins, and it's no different in the RC world.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:43 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah I am the same the industry pushed electrics because it made them a great deal of money, then the foamies came in and made them even more money. Now there are some cool planes in foam but i miss the good ole days of RC. Look at the magazines in the early 90s then look today and see a big difference
Old 12-30-2016, 03:50 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Dealspeed
I just don't understand the drone and quad phase, I've flown them and messed around with them and find them flat out boring, I also don't care much for all the electric planes, everything every review weather by magazine or a website, they always use electric motors in there reviews, never glow, sometimes gas power but not often, electric puts me to sleep, and I'm tired of the hobby industry trying to shove it down are throats!
Im not bashing those that like electrics better, doesn't bother me at all, it all just reminds me of the motocross industry back in 2002 when the bike manufacturers started forcing four stroke race bikes on us racers, it hurt the racing scene for the amature riders, the four strokes were just so exspensive to buy and maintain, a lot of us couldn't keep racing competitively because we couldn't afford it any longer.

All that was done so the manufacturers could have larger profit margins
, and it's no different in the RC world.

Well, I was an AMA officer in the other AMA in California at the time,,
That had more to do with California AQMD/EPA rules that made it impossible to sell 2 strokes in California for general offroad (green sticker) use than Manufactures profits directly,, 2 strokes were to become "closed coarse only" bikes,,, Shoot many 4 strokes became "track only" bikes too. They have to race on Sunday what they want to sell on Monday,, right?

Manufactures and shops sell what sells,, stuff that doesn't sell well fades away,, it just is.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:37 PM
Dealspeed

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
Well, I was an AMA officer in the other AMA in California at the time,,
That had more to do with California AQMD/EPA rules that made it impossible to sell 2 strokes in California for general offroad (green sticker) use than Manufactures profits directly,, 2 strokes were to become "closed coarse only" bikes,,, Shoot many 4 strokes became "track only" bikes too. They have to race on Sunday what they want to sell on Monday,, right?

Manufactures and shops sell what sells,, stuff that doesn't sell well fades away,, it just is.
Yes it's the way things are for sure, has California law eased up on 2 strokes ? There getting more and more popular again, I'll admit I have 4 four stroke dirt bikes in my garage and only one 2 stroke, but hey I'm old now as far as motocross age goes, my racing days are long gone.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:56 PM
scale only 4 me

Originally Posted by Dealspeed
Yes it's the way things are for sure, has California law eased up on 2 strokes ? There getting more and more popular again, I'll admit I have 4 four stroke dirt bikes in my garage and only one 2 stroke, but hey I'm old now as far as motocross age goes, my racing days are long gone.

Not likely,, the AQMD/EPA never softens rules,, and the riders have just got used to 4 strokes.. Smokers are a thing of the past I think,,

Yeap, I never raced,, Dual Sport is my thing

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1013659_533331673369466_204205763_n.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	2194961  
Old 12-31-2016, 11:07 AM
jetmech05

So what's that got to do with my economics class?
you can't believe that a monopoly is good for anyone. Less competition or no competition whom ever is left can set the price where they want.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:35 PM
airraptor

just because they might be the last company making radios in the future doesnt mean they are a monopoly lol, There are no entry barriers set by this company, no government restricting entry in to making a new brand and so on. There isnt a large demand for ALL radios out there.
Old 12-31-2016, 01:14 PM
Stick 40

I picked up a new JRX9303 2.4 in 2008 and it has been a great TX. The programing was hard, but I was able to do all I wanted to. When I decided to get a new TX , as the 9303 was not getting along with some of the new Spektrum RX's I went with Spektrum for my new TX as bind and fly is a way of life for me.
Old 12-31-2016, 03:22 PM
jetmech05

Nope there is nothing stopping anyone from making a new and or better radio. But they have to have market share to have an influence though.
I see you're team JR. Thank you for living up to my expectations of a radio sponsored team individual JR or Futaba.
like I said I don't want to see this happen, I hope it isn't true.
by the way if you're the only one you have a monopoly.
if you have 99% of market share you have a monopoly any other company or companies need to get big enough to have an influence on the market.
all this thread is, is a question and or a confirmation or denial of information that's out there.
it was not meant to insult anyone.
Old 12-31-2016, 03:44 PM
airraptor

Originally Posted by jetmech05
Nope there is nothing stopping anyone from making a new and or better radio. But they have to have market share to have an influence though.
I see you're team JR. Thank you for living up to my expectations of a radio sponsored team individual JR or Futaba.
like I said I don't want to see this happen, I hope it isn't true.
by the way if you're the only one you have a monopoly.
if you have 99% of market share you have a monopoly any other company or companies need to get big enough to have an influence on the market.
all this thread is, is a question and or a confirmation or denial of information that's out there.
it was not meant to insult anyone.
Jetmech I am so glad as a sponsored pilot I can live up to your expectations. Thank you that is awesome.
Old 01-01-2017, 02:29 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

And I too hope JR stays!!!!
Old 01-02-2017, 04:01 AM
scale only 4 me

Originally Posted by airraptor
Jetmech I am so glad as a sponsored pilot I can live up to your expectations. Thank you that is awesome.
I gotta wonder what JR thinks of how you are representing them and interacting with customers,,,
Old 01-02-2017, 08:27 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 175 Likes on 150 Posts

I gotta wonder what JR thinks of how you are representing them and interacting with customers,,,

Are you implying that as a Team JR member that Jeff should be held to a higher standard than your average sport pilot? I find it very ironic that you would be lecturing people on how to interact with others. I have been flying with Jeff for close to a decade, always a class act.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:12 AM
airraptor

scale 4 me in your opinion how should I act then? Jetmech said as a team member I lived up to his expectations and I said thank you...
Old 01-02-2017, 10:46 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Ok guys moving along.....
Old 01-02-2017, 04:45 PM
Dealspeed

Not likely,, the AQMD/EPA never softens rules,, and the riders have just got used to 4 strokes.. Smokers are a thing of the past I think,,

Yeap, I never raced,, Dual Sport is my thing

That's my baby, I may not race anymore but I still love a good race bike.

Name:	IMG_0004.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	2195334  
Old 01-02-2017, 10:40 PM
airraptor

Deal even though this was about JR radios I always wanted to get a ATK 700 or Maico just to scare the heck out of me lol.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:56 PM
Dealspeed

The old husky 2 strokes always made my hair stand on end

1982 Husqvarna 500

Name:	tmp_31004-L1L270274310.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	2195377  
Old 01-03-2017, 04:23 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 175 Likes on 150 Posts

When I was in Jr. High and weighed no more then 90 lbs I got my hands on a Can Am 400. Just staring that thing was scary.