Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

TF P-40 tip stall

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

TF P-40 tip stall

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 01:10 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
No! No airplane have stall problems if built correctly . Built correctly means built light and having wash-out in the wing tips.
No! War planes do not have to be landed faster than "any other airplane" provided you have built it light, but they usally need higher landing speeds than a high winged trainer.
If your wing (Planked wing or balsa spar wing covered with balsa?) is twisted in the wrong direction (Wash-in) it could easily be fixed by cutting several cuts spanwise on the underside of the wing and then twisting the wing in the right direction and at the same time pouring thin Ca glue in the cuts.

Flaps is not a good idea to use as a remedy for at badly twisted wing, using flaps is only getting things worse.
Flaps is only used on rare ocations, for fun , not as a fix for a badly built flying/landing plane with twisted wing.
The below .40 size Cherokee was built 15 years ago and is used in our club as a low winged trainer.
and it flies real slow but the flaps is not used regularly when landing as landing whitout them is much easier.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	tn_Skolflygplan Cherokee nos och motor.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	2201599   Click image for larger version

Name:	Skolflygplan 013.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	469.5 KB
ID:	2201601   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cherokee 1.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	2201602   Click image for larger version

Name:	Skolflygplan 003.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	424.0 KB
ID:	2201603   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cherrokee vinge uppifrån.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	447.5 KB
ID:	2201604   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05192.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	2201605  

Last edited by jaka; 02-17-2017 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:40 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Jaka,
I don't think anyone said anything about a twisted wing???
Light models land easier.. Understood.
Your example is a 40 sized civilian plane that should land easily with out flaps.
Other, larger and heavier planes are different.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:49 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

An airplane that is nose heavy and has too much elevator throw to compensate can be prone to tip stalls as well.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:27 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

There is quite a difference between a Warbird with a scale, or even semi scale wing and a sport plane/trainer wing. A Warbird will need to be flown scale like, or you will wind up putting it in the dirt. That means, if the real one needs flaps to land, then very likely a scale model of one will need flaps to land. Anyone who flies a trainer who thinks they can fly a Warbird without incident will be greatly surprised when it falls out of the sky when trying to fly it like a trainer. You slow a Warbird down to what a trainer or a sport plane can fly at, and it will fall. Not all of them are like this, but the smaller, .60 size ones are more prone to stalling than larger scale ones. My H9 P-47 can and does land without flaps, but it also has a huge wing with light loading. A Mustang has a thin wing that needs speed, it will not float. A P-40 is similar in flight characteristics.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:20 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Agree with you "speed"! You and I seem to have the same background (Pylonracing) .

I don't agree that just because it's a scale warbird it has to be landed fast, on the contrary my Marutaka DC
-3 is as slow flying and easily landed as a 2meter span sail plane. And why!? Just because it's light (weigh 3,6kg ready to fly) and have wash-out in the very thin wing tips
Pylon-racers (F3D) also have a thin airfoil and they to are not prone to stall easier than
any other R/C airplane, but they need of course a very high landing speed (no flaps) and are demanding on landing as the engine is always cut off.No go around is possible.
It's my experience from 42 years flying and constructing and building R/C planes that the model itself isn't the decisive factor when it comes to how slow you can land it. What is is wing loading and wash-out. I have flown .60 size spitfires and P-50 Mustangs that either behaved badly due to a too high wingloading ,too forward C of G in combination with to much elevator throw and wash-in and the same type of airplanes built light and set up correctly that was just a joy to both fly and land (without flaps).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Marutaka DC-3 in flight.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	2201668  
Old 02-18-2017, 06:51 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

There is quite a difference between a passenger/cargo plane like a DC-3/C-47 and a P-40. Construction does play a large part in it, but so does scale. When I say land fast, I mean, you don't approach at just above stall speed, you have to keep the speed up just before touchdown. Once you are a few feet up and across the threshold, then you can go ahead and hit idle, but until then, chop the throttle on a fighter, and you most likely will be bagging it. Whether or not it needs flaps does depend on the model more than anything. A sport scale P-51 doesn't even have flaps, but a Top Flite .60 needs them, or it will wing over if it gets too slow and comes in too fast without them. My p-47 though, doesn't need them, it lands just fine, but then again, the wing is huge on it and its not that heavy.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:59 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Aerodynamics don't give a crap about the airplane's shape. It does not matter if the airplane is shaped like a P-47 or a P-51 or a Kaos or an Ultra Sport. What does matter is the wing loading and CG.

Jaka, yes I do fly pylon and probably always will however I fly IMAC, pattern and a couple soaring events as well. CG setups on all those airplane's are very similar. Locally we have a warbird series that runs WWII fighters of 520 sq. in. wings and YS 115 engines. The wing loadings are a bit high for that size airplane but they land well due to CG not being too far forward. An airplane with a forward CG will also want to snap out of a fast, tight turn.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:18 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mashp39
On another site it was suggested to raise both ailerons a couple degrees and this will help the tip stall. Anybody ever try this?The plane was built by someone else and I don't know its build history. The plane flies very well but but does do a quick turn to the left if the speed it cut. Do planes tip stall to the right? I will check the washout amount but have not yet.

Yes, this does help for landings. Not so good if you do much inverted flying.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:25 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mashp39
On another site it was suggested to raise both ailerons a couple degrees and this will help the tip stall. Anybody ever try this?The plane was built by someone else and I don't know its build history. The plane flies very well but but does do a quick turn to the left if the speed it cut. Do planes tip stall to the right? I will check the washout amount but have not yet.

Yes, this does help for landings. Not so good if you do much inverted flying.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:51 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

"plane turns left/off the throttle when landing"

note that I am not saying this is the fix for the problem,
but I have read, that if a plane turns left at the point when coming off the throttle when coming in to land the engine needs more Right Thrust,

just what I read !

sorry no link, I read this some 6 years ago.

Jim